Mounting Bracket for a 1980 Mercury 80hp

G

Geoffrey James

Hey fellas. One of my favorite parts of this site is the excellent feedback/advice a guy can get on mechanical issues.
i just discovered a crack, in a V shape, at the bottom of my mounting bracket. i was going to try JB weld. it's not a huge crack. failing that, where would i get a used one? cheap?
thanks in advance!

GJ you may want to say where your are, as that might help too. I have seen old broken merc’s at the local scrap metal dealer (CV VI). I have seen some 60 and 90 merc’s but I have no idea if the parts would fit. I didn’t even know they made an 80. As for cracks you need a good welding shop to fix it. If not done correctly the crack will continue in the metal and the crack will reappear and get bigger. GLG

sorry guys. i am in delta. i'll post a pic when i can. where is this wonderful sounding scrapyard? any idea where i might find one in the lower mainland area?

GJ - I’m in the Comox Valley and the scrap metal place is in Royston. They have a dumpster that they fill with old outboards. These motors are only good for scrap or the odd part if you are lucky. When it gets full they ship it out. You may have to look in the yellow pages for a scrap metal dealer near you. You could also ask your nearest Merc dealer and find out where they ship there scrap motors off to. There is also a place up in Campbell River called Seaworthy Marine Recycler that has a ton of outboards in his yard.
Here is a link http://www.seaworthymarine.ca he might have the part you need.
I still think you are better off getting it welded as shipping parts is $. GLG

Back