might be time to replace a built in aluminum fuel tank

bigdogg1

Hi there,

I have a built in tank that measures ~ 6" x 2' x 9' long. It runs straight down the middle from stern to mid point of the seating area in the cabin. I can see that it is held in by 8 bolts to the boat frame (8 per side).

My problem is that it looks like the aluminum floor will need to be cut in a 2 foot strip to get to the bolts and to remove the tank.

Although I do not mind cutting a deck access panel to re and re the tank, I am not too excited about running a blade/grinder disc around gas fumes (there is no danger of hitting the top of the tank as there is about a 4" breather space.)

Is this doable in an open, ventilated area or should it be left to a shop. I am looking of tips on how to safely cut through the floor if possible and if not, can anyone suggest an aluminum cutter in the Parksville area. Thanks in advance!

The aluminum won't spark. Use a skill saw or a jig saw not a zip disk. I'd set the depth of my saw blade 1/8" past the thickness of the floor and skill saw it.

Aluminum doesn't make sparks when cut with a grinder, so the concern would be the electric motor in the grinder making sparks. Unless there is a large concentration of fumes you should be fine. ventilate well with a fan.

Great advice - thanks!

Now for the reconstruction part. Once the rectangular floor piece is cut away (just over 2' x 6'), how would you suggest I reattach it since there is only empty space below the cut lines? I thought about creating a small ledger that attaches to the aluminum stringers set just deep enough to create a flush floor when the cut piece is put back. I would then look for transition pieces or other to fill the gaps.

Any other ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

When I re and re'd my gas tank last year I had to cut up the fiberglass floor to get at the tank. Of course that was a dirty ugly job! I replaced the covered area over the tank with a removable piece that is fiberglassed and gelcoated. Looks neat and tidy. Now if I need to get the tank out in the future or get access to fuel sender I remove 10 screws and I have complete access to the tank.

Back