mercury levels

tubber

Does anyone recall the safe levels for consumption of large predator species? I'm stuck in Maui eating at least 10 ounces/day of marlin/yellowfin tuna/mahimahi. No fishing, just shopping in fish stores (and the Walmart tackle department). I don't think I'm pregnant and I'm sure the Maitais have a buffering effect. Home next week and then 3 trips to VI for my style of holiday.

Since I love sashimi, your question got me curious how much tuna and salmon I should be eating.

Here's some info that I found...not sure of the reliability of this source though.
http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/guide.asp

LEAST MERCURY
Enjoy these fish:
Anchovies
Butterfish
Catfish
Clam
Crab (Domestic)
Crawfish/Crayfish
Croaker (Atlantic)
Flounder*
Haddock (Atlantic)*
Hake
Herring
Mackerel (N. Atlantic, Chub)
Mullet
Oyster
Perch (Ocean)
Plaice
Pollock
Salmon (Canned)**
Salmon (Fresh)**
Sardine
Scallop*
Shad (American)
Shrimp*
Sole (Pacific)
Squid (Calamari)
Tilapia
Trout (Freshwater)
Whitefish
Whiting

MODERATE MERCURY
Eat six servings or less per month:
Bass (Striped, Black)
Carp
Cod (Alaskan)*
Croaker (White Pacific)
Halibut (Atlantic)*
Halibut (Pacific)
Jacksmelt
(Silverside)
Lobster
Mahi Mahi
Monkfish*
Perch (Freshwater)
Sablefish
Skate*
Snapper*
Tuna (Canned
chunk light)
Tuna (Skipjack)*
Weakfish (Sea Trout)

HIGH MERCURY
Eat three servings or less per month:
Bluefish
Grouper*
Mackerel (Spanish, Gulf)
Sea Bass (Chilean)*
Tuna (Canned Albacore)
Tuna (Yellowfin)*

HIGHEST MERCURY
Avoid eating:
Mackerel (King)
Marlin*
Orange Roughy*
Shark*
Swordfish*
Tilefish*
Tuna
(Bigeye, Ahi)*

* Fish in Trouble! These fish are perilously low in numbers or are caught using environmentally destructive methods. To learn more, see the Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Blue Ocean Institute, both of which provide guides to fish to enjoy or avoid on the basis of environmental factors.

** Farmed Salmon may contain PCB's, chemicals with serious long-term health effects.

Sources for NRDC's guide: The data for this guide to mercury in fish comes from two federal agencies: the Food and Drug Administration, which tests fish for mercury, and the Environmental Protection Agency, which determines mercury levels that it considers safe for women of childbearing age.

About the mercury-level categories: The categories on the list (least mercury to highest mercury) are determined according to the following mercury levels in the flesh of tested fish.

Least mercury: Less than 0.09 parts per million

Moderate mercury: From 0.09 to 0.29 parts per million

High mercury: From 0.3 to 0.49 parts per million

Highest mercury: More than .5 parts per million

Here's some information from Health Canada:

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/chem-chim/environ/mercur/cons-adv-etud-eng.php

"Canadians are advised to limit consumption of fresh/frozen tuna, shark, swordfish, escolar, marlin, and orange roughy. In general, you can eat up to 150 g per week of these fish species combined. However, women who are or may become pregnant and breastfeeding mothers can eat up to 150 g per month. Young children between 5 and 11 years of age can eat up to 125 g per month. Very young children between 1 and 4 years of age should eat no more than 75 g per month of these fish species."

Thanks for the informative replies. No more marlin, cut back on the locally pole-harvested ahi, got it. Interesting that the only cheaper fish than marlin in the stores is farmed atlantic salmon. Seems like the price is in inverse proportion to the toxicity levels. Charlie, get off your computer and go fishing!:)

You got that right, my season is starting the end of next week and with any luck at all... you won't hear a lot from me for the following month! :D

Napili Kai till Saturday. Tough life. My wife keeps yelling at me to stop checking the Nootka updates.

Went for a walk to look at the boats in Lahaina today. The charter sales pitch guy told us to come by later because one of their boats had got one over 500lbs. When we went back a 764lb blue marlin was hanging from the scale. Makes quibling over a 29.5 lb tyee seem silly. The guest goes home with measurements, photos and memories and the meat belongs to the boat from what I understand.

Back