Mercury Diesel Ourtboard??

Could be the Cadillac of Diesel engines ...pun intended. This has been tried once before with a mostly 350'Chev made into a diesel. Turned out to be a POS.

Could be the Cadillac of Diesel engines ...pun intended. This has been tried once before with a mostly 350'Chev made into a diesel. Turned out to be a POS.

So kinda the same as the 350 yammy gasser......POS.....I mean.

At least Merc is on a come back and offering interesting products lately.

Not yet convinced this version will be any different than what GM did with their first gas engine conversions for light pick up diesels. One of the main advantages of diesel would be enhanced fuel economy, yet not a word in the spec sheet...makes me wonder if this one hasn't quite hit the mark.

Mercury has the insight to come out with something like this. They have the insight into the whole marine world of power.

What has Yamaha or Suzuki done lately?

Hell, even Evinrude has more insight then the two mentioned above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to be clear.....it was developed for the US military for a specific purpose (probably for fuel comparability with other vehicles in the field) and won't be available for sale soon and maybe never.

I only posted the article as i found it interesting. I do agree with Sculpin that Mercury has become very innovative in their designs whether they work out 100% or not at least they are thinking outside the box. From 1st hand knowledge i know that they have a great program when it comes to corrosion protection and a great dealer network, which is probably more important to me than anything.

There is no way around the fact that to have a reliable and long lasting diesel engine (that the public would then buy) the block and heads, rods, crank and pistons have to be much thicker(heavier) to take the stress and heat associated with such a high compression engine. If diesel engines could be made at a comparable weight to gassers they would already be in every semi on the road. The US military will buy anything if they think it will give them an advantage in the field. They can afford to fix or replace more often than the public consumer.

I've always liked the merc outboards and personally would choose merc over the other brands. I just think overall they have fewer problems and are designed a bit stronger. just my opinion.
would love to see them come out with a production 10 to 30 hp bigfoot type diesel outboard...
thxs for the link fishtofino...

Not yet convinced this version will be any different than what GM did with their first gas engine conversions for light pick up diesels. One of the main advantages of diesel would be enhanced fuel economy, yet not a word in the spec sheet...makes me wonder if this one hasn't quite hit the mark.

Used to split a gut over those junk GM diesels. They would come in with a loud tinny rap coming from the motor. It was the broken head bolts banging on the inside of the valve covers

517 lb for 175 seems pretty heavy to me. My 2 stroke 140 weighs 310.

Wow now that would be awesome for guys who either have a fishing tender on their trawler or tow one. I mean you could simply rig a fuel pumping station from your main trawler tank. That would be cool.
Thanks
Jim

Just to be clear, this is not a Diesel engine. It is a spark fired internal combustion engine converted to run on diesel fuel. I doubt a product like this will ever hit the consumer market as it has none of the advantages that a Diesel engine has over a gas engine but less power for the displacement. The sole purpose of something like this is for fuel versatility as everything runs on diesel fuel in the field. This is very similar to the etec multi fuel engine but at a higher hp rating.

There isn't an outboard bottom end in the market that would handle diesel torque above maybe 175hp. Even the 7marine platform would struggle with anything over 300hp.

One of these days we will see a nice little common rail turbo diesel outboard pumping out 200+ hp and it's going to sell like hot cakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just to be clear, this is not a Diesel engine. It is a spark fired internal combustion engine converted to run on diesel fuel. I doubt a product like this will ever hit the consumer market as it has none of the advantages that a Diesel engine has over a gas engine but less power for the displacement. The sole purpose of something like this is for fuel versatility as everything runs on diesel fuel in the field. This is very similar to the etec multi fuel engine but at a higher hp rating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, this is nothing more than an optimax converted to run diesel specifically for the military.

US Navy wants zero gas on their ships as it poses a greatly increased fire and explosion hazard when compared to JP-5 and JP-8.

Kinda like the multi-fuel engine made by Evinrude. That was sold to the military and now available to the public?

I was just going to comment on what gunnerlove stated above, gasoline is very undesirable on a ship. So it being a military application would make sense.

Also I recall once in the arctic we saw a german cruise ships work/crew boat and it had a nissan diesel 30hp tiller on it so they are out there. i was amazed when i saw it and have always wondered why we don't have them here.

Back