Merc mechanic: Any recommendations?

buccaneer

My 2006 Merc 115 Fourstroke has developed a miss at low rpms. Looking for a mechanic in the lower mainland. Any recommendations?
Any good experiences with M&P? With all the great reviews of Lordship, kinda wish I had an Evinrude.

Thanks.

I use Bernie at Alouette marine. Certified mercury mechanic that has lower overhead as he works out of his shop at home. I have always been pleased with his service

I have a 2004-115 EFI Merc also and had the same problem. After 5 hrs of trouble shooting and scoping, my mechanic increased my idol speed from 720 RPM to 760 RPM and the problem disappeared and havent had a issue since. Try it.

My 2006 Merc 115 Fourstroke has developed a miss at low rpms. Looking for a mechanic in the lower mainland. Any recommendations?
Any good experiences with M&P? With all the great reviews of Lordship, kinda wish I had an Evinrude.

Thanks.

Before you do anything, have you changed your plugs out recently and made sure your plug wires are on or not shorting? Change out the plugs, give her a good run in the high rpms for a bit and bump up the idle just a bit. If it still does it, get ready to spend $$$. $128 per hour labour rate at M&P and Bridgeview. M&P have been good to me and I know many of them from my old lodge days. Carboned up engines will misfire. Regular Oil Changes are important to keep engine crud down and will affect ring sealing and carbon up which will in turn mess up combustion and cause a misfire.

The boys @ maple marine in Langley have treated me well since they opened up.Tohatsu dealer, but they work on most brands.

definately give Trevor at Maple in Langley a call, 1st rate and very honest no bs from him
was just there today picking up some supplies, has a great little parts department too.
Tim

Could be the throttle position sensor... Any more details? Does it stall, or is it a rough idle? Could be as simple as adjusting the sensor.

some good suggestions here. also check the coil. could be coil or plug wires. if you can run it in a dark location, see if you can see any sparks developing externally near the wires or coil....

Thanks for all the advice!

Don't think I described the condition well in the first post. The engine has a hiccup that is noticeable at low rpms. It will hiccup every 5 or so seconds sometimes causing the motor to stall at idle. The motor still will run up to redline just fine and cruises just fine. I pulled the plugs and they look good. Honestly don't know how to check the coils however threw a timing light on each of the plug wires to check for spark and seems all is well with that. The motor does have pencil coils for each sparkplug.

I think this is problem is above my abilities, lol, but thanks for the ideas. Will try running it in the dark...

If it was mine, I would pull fuel filter dump it out, fill with mercury quickclean, spin back on and idle for a couple minutes. Shut it down and and float for 20-30mins. Warm it up again then wot for a good while. You might be surprised at the difference. Allot can build up in outboards over time, especially if its used at lower rpms allot. Throw some in the fuel tank as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I thought that and did a seafoam shock treatment a while back. Symptom still persists:(
Anyways thanks for all the advice and will update when I get this sorted.

Back