Max horse power

C

constantsguy

I've got myself a 17.5' Hurston, Its a mid 80's model hard top. Right now I have a 70hp johnson, but i'm wanting a little more power for her. Whats my max hp for this boat? I know these are pretty popular boats around the west coast. So I'm hopping to from you hurston owners and hearing what kind of power you have and how you think it preforms for you and maybe what you would do different if you had to repower your boat again.
Cheers

I had a 70 horse on a 16 ft Seaswirl and it never missed a beat. Lordship Marine told me it was the best workhorse used by commercial. I traded it for a 90 Yamaha and went from 32 m.p.h. top speed to 44 m.p.h. Only downfall of course was that my fuel tank now shrunk.

17hourston should be okay with 100 hp plus_ 2stroke i would say, check the coast guard label which should be on transom.

quote:Originally posted by constantsguy

I've got myself a 17.5' Hurston, Its a mid 80's model hard top. Right now I have a 70hp johnson, but i'm wanting a little more power for her. Whats my max hp for this boat? I know these are pretty popular boats around the west coast. So I'm hopping to from you hurston owners and hearing what kind of power you have and how you think it preforms for you and maybe what you would do different if you had to repower your boat again.
Cheers

100 horse should be plenty... 115 should make it go great...no more power required.

On my 17.5ft malibu(probably same amount of boat?)Started with 90hp yamaha three cylinder 32mph bit of a slug. Moved up to 120hp evenrude v four, Not a slug anymore never clocked top speed probably 45mphish. Good match for the boat. Got up and went and didn't seem overpowered. Decided I wanted to go faster because I got a great deal on a 200hp merc v six. Boat handles the weight of the six cylinder no problem but will go scary fast if you push it, never clocked but passes go fast formula's etc. Hull does take everything that motor has to give if sea's are calm, you work the trim, and you go in a straight line. I get better gas miledge with the 200hp than I did with the 120hp because I can cruise at a very fast rate of speed putting along at 3000rpm or so. The 120 was always cruising at 4500 plus if I was going somewere, the 90hp was always full banana's. A little extra power can give you better gas miledge.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

17 double eaglewith 150merc could go from race rks to active pass and back on 7 gallons witha large propsmaller engine probably couldnt spin a big prop so more fuel.large engine wasnt working so hardso lasted longer.

One thing to keep in mind when repowering is that if you have exceded the rated horsepower for the hull your insurance is void. Yes even if they have given you insurance for that hull and engine. Something to think about.

Thanks for the great input guys. Always love to hear what you think and what you have found out by trail by error or what not. Do you think that if I up garaded to a 200hp for example that I would need to reinforce my transome in any way or just bolt on and go?

quote:Do you think that if I up garaded to a 200hp for example that I would need to reinforce my transome in any way or just bolt on and go?

After many good years I sold my 86 Hourston , with a 90 merc 2 stoke, to another member . It was a GREAT boat. Topped out at 35MPH, cruised forever on 20 gals for gas. Why in Gods name would you even consider putting a 200 on it- The boat is NOT made for that kind of power and you can reinforce you transom all you want-- but its a dumb idea. ( and your insurance company will laugh you out the door )

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Hey Constants guy , here is a link to the manafacturer www.web.mac.com/hourston/iWeb/Hourston Glascraft/HOME.html

It may be worth a email to them to get an opinion. A brand new 17'2" hourston is rated for a max 150hp with a top speed of 50mph plus. You want to put 200hp on a 25 year old 18'boat? your crazy!!! I drive a high speed welded aluminium boat for a living and trust me only bad things happen at those speeds.
If you tagged a log at 40mph in your boat the hull would shatter and you would be sinking within 2 minutes.REALLY.

Go with the rated horsepower or look for a bigger boat. Its not worth the risk.

I would be careful, you may not be able to purchase insurance.
My 17.1 Malibu Tyee (very similar to Double Eagle) with a 115 Merc, 8hp Yam HT and 3 people in flat water will do just over 40 mph. My boat is rated Max 160 hp.

Running a 125 hp 2 stroke on a 16.5 foot boat... good to get u out of troubled water.

quote:Originally posted by bee15

17 double eaglewith 150merc could go from race rks to active pass and back on 7 gallons witha large propsmaller engine probably couldnt spin a big prop so more fuel.large engine wasnt working so hardso lasted longer.

Race Rocks to Active and back on 7 gallons? I call BS. Not possible. Maybe with it on a trailer 95% percent of the way.

Race Rocks to Active and back on 7 gallons? I call BS. Not possible. Maybe with it on a trailer 95% percent of the way.

I have a 140 evinrude on a 17 ft hourston hard top.It did 47 mph when it was new.If I was looking at new power I would look at the 115 hp E tech. The 140 does not have power trim to get the extra performace.A good fit for power to boat weight. Thanks Willyd

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

I could do that... with 50 gallons - one way!
It's only about 53 miles! :D

Back