Maple Syrup Candied Smoked Salmon

Rockfish

Maple Syrup Candied Smoked Salmon

Trying to do my first batch of candied smoked salmon with a 12 lb Coho we got yesterday.
Started with doing a very good job of removing all the scales. Then filleted it and cut it into long strips like the commercial stuff you see in the stores. Cut the strips down to the skin and then used a tip from the forum and cut the skin with pair of heavy kitchen scissors which are almost shears and used for things like deboning chickens. They worked great and are very fast and effective. Leaving the skin on seems to help with holding the integrity of the flesh while being marinated, stirred and handled.

Then got a very large deep Pyrex rectangular casserole dish and added the fish and a little sea salt sprinkled on the salmon strips. Hope it was not too much as I hate overly salty smoked salmon. Then following some advice from a friend, I filled the dish up with Aunt Jemima’s Maple syrup, covered and placed in the fridge and stir it from time to time. You can get 4 liters of Aunt Jemima’s from Costco and it is very reasonably priced.

The salmon has been in the syrup for about 15 hours and it is already starting to look translucent and I am not sure how long to leave it before sending it to the smoker. Has anyone else tried this method?

This is a first effort and I know I will learn to refine the process and recipe overtime. I understand it should be air dried for a while before going in the smoker.

You might want to keep an eye on it when smoking,the cheap Maple syrup burns the fish. Best to use 100% real maple syrup, pricey but well worth it

there are lots of threads on here about smoking fish. do a little research, but you may want to refine the process....let it dry with a fan on it for about 4 hours or no fan for about 8. smoke it for 4-6. stick to the real syrup though like the other guys said. it is pricey, but you shouldn't need 4 litres to do a 12lb coho...

Try a recipe on this forum that calls for a 1kg bag of brown sugar and 7/8 cup coarse salt. Smother the fish with that mix and it draws the moisture out if the fish no liquid required. Cheap, easy, delicious. Search for Indian candy.

Rockfish,

Try this recipe for candied salmon. The results are excellent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhef6s7uyk8

Thanks Frank. It looks good and a more complicated recipe – will have to give it a try.

The First batch done with sea salt, a little fresh cracked black pepper and artificial maple syrup turned out good enough to disappear almost instantly. The 2nd batch is now soaking. Seems to take about 3 days to really candy up.

Back