Mackeral - to eat, or not to eat?

outback

there is a ridiculous amount of pacific mackerel up in Nootka/ Esperanza. being a fairly large threat to the native salmon population and such a pest while fishing bait... does anybody out there eat them?

Google brought me mixed results so i figured id ask and see if anyone had any first hand exp.

hmm no first hand experience other then it looks like a slingslida jig I have. Looks high in omega 3 is prob a fish already caught and made in the 20 brands if fishoil we see in our heath food stores. Says its high in mercury so have to watch how much you eat and none for kids and preggers chicks. Says good smoked.

Mackerel is an oily type of coldwater fish that can be eaten canned or fresh. It is enjoyed by many people and known especially for its nutritional benefits, such as omega-3 fatty acids.

Calories
There are 230 calories in a 3-ounce serving of mackerel fish provided that it is cooked in dry heat without any added butter, oil or sauces (see Reference 1). Even though mackerel is high in fat and considered to be a fatty fish, a filet still has fewer calories than beef and some other meats.

Fat
Mackerel fish has 15.7g of fat in each 3-ounce serving. That makes mackerel considerably higher in fat than white meat chicken or turkey or lean fish such as tilapia. Just because mackerel is high in fat, however, does not mean it is unhealthy. The type of fat in mackerel is unsaturated, which is healthy for the heart.
Protein

Each 3-ounce filet of mackerel has 21g of protein. Therefore mackerel is a good food choice for anyone who requires a lot of protein, such as body builders, endurance athletes or people with healing wounds.

Carbohydrate
There are no carbohydrates in mackerel fish, so it is a perfect choice for people on a high-protein or low-carbohydrate diet. Fish do not have any carbohydrates when prepared in dry heat— they only have carbohydrates when sauces or marinades are added.

Essential Fatty Acid
Mackerel fish contains the omega fatty acids EPA, DHA and ALA, all of which are good for brain growth and protection. In fact, the omega-3 fatty acids found in mackerel can actually help to reduce a person’s risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease (see Reference 2).

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/48743-nutrition-information-mackerel-fish/#ixzz2198SMZ5r

the white meat in mackeral tastes like tuna fish and is nice sautaed it a bit of a chore geting it thou

That is because tuna and mackeral are related (as are bonito) from a fish family perspective (Scombridae).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackerel

Therefore they are delicious when prepared properly, and the white meat will taste like tuna, because it is in some ways. Mackerel are eaten all the time all over Europe and are sold in all grocery stores. Yes the Atlantic species is not exactly the same as the Pacific (see Wikipeadia article) but should not make a big difference.

Back in 2000 we had lots of mackeral in nootka just like now. I jokingly said that I would take all the mackeral the guys could catch(may have been rum talking) long story short they went out of their way to catch the damn things and the next night I received 2- 21/2 gal pails of mackeral. So I filleted the lot-brined them and smoked them just like they do in N.S. Great breakfast fair with poached eggs. By the way so is smoked salmon or Lox!!

I tried one a couple years ago at Cougar Creek just to see what they taste like. Super oily almost to the point of being disgusting and agree that cat food comes close for smell.

Smoked or sashimi might be OK though. I think they can be pickled too...

Love them as Sashimi provided they have been properly filleted and deep frozen first. They have a bigger flavor punch than tuna.

Back