lowrance fuel flow meter

Island Fish Lifter

Has any one used one of these, you know, the one you can get that interfaces with your lowrance GPS? Theyre quite cheap but are they accurate?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Island Fish Lifter

Has any one used one of these, you know, the one you can get that interfaces with your lowrance GPS? Theyre quite cheap but are they accurate?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Dave:

I've got one on my boat. When it works, it's great - but it seems to run on union hours, whenever it damn well pleases.

The big trick with them is to either have a tank sender to indicate fuel level, and make sure you record your fuel when you fuel up. Something that occasionally gets missed when you are loading and unloading guests.

For some reason, Lowrance does not do a good job of marketing them. The have them listed in the catalog, but that's about the extent of the sales pitch.

You can get all sorts of info out of them, such as fuel left onboard, fuel consumption - litres per hour, litres per mile, litres used on this trip, litres used this season.

For an extra $50 or so over the price of the GPS/Sounder, I think they are a good deal. I just wish I could get the thing to work ALL the time.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Not sure about the Lowrance version but we have the Mercury Smart Guages on both boats and use them every trip out to find our optimal fuel setting given our passenger/gear load on the day. I absolutely LOVE it as it let's me set my fuel consumption rate to my revenue rate :D

We also love the digital tac troll control that let's us do ten RPM increments/decrements. I always hated having to tap away at the throttle trying to get it set just right then having to do it all again each time we changed direction relative to the current.

If you are running a Merc Opti and don't have one REALLY think about buying one!!!

IFL, jest get a Lowrance LMF 400 guage pack, they plug RIGHT into your Suzuki for fuel flow. Plus you get trim, temp, engine codes, and about 50 other things. I have 'em for my zukes, it let me clean up my dash, two guages run the whole boat instead of 8.

The LMF400 is the Suzuki OEM fuel flow, they make it for them. It's around 150 bux, and the EP-20 to plug it into your Suzuki is around 40. They are extremly accurate at speed,if trolling a lot, i found they read a little light.

Last, but not least, there are a lot of guys on the net having problems with the Suzuki engines and flow meters, as they have two fuel pumps and don't draw fuel smoothly, so they throw things like Flowscan out of whack.

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com

LastChance,

So all that you needed for your 140s was the LMF400 and the EP20, and you get all of those readings? Sounds like a great deal that I might have to invest in. I have the same engine, but a Johnzuki.

FishWish

quote:Originally posted by fishwish

LastChance,

So all that you needed for your 140s was the LMF400 and the EP20, and you get all of those readings? Sounds like a great deal that I might have to invest in. I have the same engine, but a Johnzuki.

FishWish

Yep, it was all I needed. Two guages, two EP 20's. YOu don't use most of the main wiring harness with them, they take it all from the diagnostic port on the engine. To get fuel tank level, that's another sensor, but everything to do with the motors comes via EP20. YOu could just get a single for a single engine, they can display up to 4 sets of data.

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com

Thanks. Sounds alot better than the analog, red light guage that that was installed when I had the engine put on.

Thanks again,

FishWish

Back