Long lost B.C. Orca pod returns home for first time in more than 20 years

Very cool story. Maybe they should try and reunite Corky with her family one day.
That would be amazing if they could. Whales are like Elephants with their family values and great memories. Probably questionable though whether she would survive going back into the wild after being hand fed for so many years now though. So sad how they rip these creatures from their wilderness and families. Makes me sick to think about how traumatic it is to them.

We here certainly value and respect the wild. It seems our natural world has always been compromised and suffered to make millionaires into billionaires. Maybe that's slowly changing. I've always believed that if humanity gives nature half a chance, it can recover. This is a terrific story that helps support that belief.

I keep reading reports from people who work and live there that this isn’t true. The whales never really left or at least have been dropping back in for years. Would be nice if the Reporter would follow up on the story to ensure its correct. So much disinformation to wade through.

I keep reading reports from people who work and live there that this isn’t true. The whales never really left or at least have been dropping back in for years. Would be nice if the Reporter would follow up on the story to ensure its correct. So much disinformation to wade through.
But it makes the little media twits feel all warm and fuzzy!

how would the locals know which pod is which with such healthy orca population up there? i’ve seen a million orcas between hardy and CR, and would never be able to identify what pod they’re from.

how would the locals know which pod is which with such healthy orca population up there? i’ve seen a million orcas between hardy and CR, and would never be able to identify what pod they’re from.
I would assume the same way anyone else can identify individual whales? Unless I’m mistaken you can go online and see pictures of individual whales and their identifying markings And what Pods they belong to. Whale watchers can do it so I see no reason why anyone else couldn’t? Here’s the result of a very quick search for you.

I would assume the same way anyone else can identify individual whales? Unless I’m mistaken you can go online and see pictures of individual whales and their identifying markings And what Pods they belong to. Whale watchers can do it so I see no reason why anyone else couldn’t? Here’s the result of a very quick search for you.

i’m aware that they all have identifying marks etc and that they are able to track the pods. maybe i mis-read your original post; but i just can’t see the trickery or need for deception here by any of the involved parties. not disagreeing with you; just questioning why locals would question the news or be in denial. all seems like good news to me.

FYI, the lead author of the publication you posted the link to is the same person who is quoted in the media link Chasin’ Dreams posted when he started this thread. I believe he lives in Alert Bay but I could be mistaken there. Anyway, he is a local. And it is a good news story IMHO.

i’m aware that they all have identifying marks etc and that they are able to track the pods. maybe i mis-read your original post; but i just can’t see the trickery or need for deception here by any of the involved parties. not disagreeing with you; just questioning why locals would question the news or be in denial. all seems like good news to me.
Agree, why would locals question this good news?

Not that easy to identify even with pics. Only the ones with obvious and unique characteristics can be guessed correctly most of the time with some knowledge. Otherwise even the whale watchers have difficulty unless they have seen the same group earlier in the day or the day before. So many of them are so close in markings...and they don't give you a lot of time to work with.

Back