Ling Cod status?

Little Hawk

Howdy!

Newby here... Great forum Guys!

As I mentioned in my first post, I'm new to South Island salt-chuckin' and will be back on the water soon.

What's up with the Ling-cod these days? I know they've been under closures over the last few years.

One of my favorite table fish and would love to chase'm when the salmon/halibut are slow.

Cheers,
Terry

Howdy!

Thanks DR.Hook!

After I posted I realized it was as simple as picking up a copy of the regs...

It's the 15th, I've got my Swedish jig, a bag of frozen octopus tenticals and I'm off to find the first Ling of the season.

Ojective for the day is to send Dad home from his Father's Day outing with his limits of salmon, ling, snapper, flounder, prawns and crab. Track record for the last three years is 100% so the pressure is on :D

Have been looking forward to today. Battered lingcod sounds great for dinner tonight!

Well, we got everything except the Lings.... spent too long salmon fishing and with the tide ripping the way it was couldn't get down deep enough to pick up the big Lings.... but still a great day on everything else.

PS - octopus arms were amazing for the snapper, got our two in under 60 seconds [8D]

SIR, I got Octopus from Canadian Wholesale Club last night Unlike the big short hunks we get from the bait guys, the pack I got appeared to be nice tentacles 1.5" across by 16" long. One of them dancing of a rig this weekened I'm sure is going to ruin a butt's breakfeast, you may want to try 'em. It is $9.99 per 800G (1.5 Pounds), but quality stuff. You may want to give it a try.

Could you guys explain how to rig up for octopus arms? Is it just as easy as slapping a few tentacles on a hook, or is there more to the setup?

That's exactly what I was thinking of. I've caught little ******* in the prawn traps, and now they have a purpose. Guess I should check the regs and limits for octopus first though.

We catch lot's of octopus in our prawn traps so my bait price on this is below wholesale :D

For snapper I just add a short 3-4" thin piece of leg off the treble hook of my favorite jig.

For Ling I use the 3-6oz lead jig heads. I thread the thick end of the leg onto the jig hook, as per a texas worm rig, I then run a treble stinger down from the eye of the jig to a treble that I embedd one barb of down towards the thin end of an 8-10" peice of octo leg. If I'm feeling fancy I use a peice of wire to run the line for the stinger down the inside of the octo leg but I have to say Lings aren't usually picky eaters...

You can usually catch 3-6 fish on one piece of bait making it "the guides favorite bait" :D

The "fun" part of catching octopus is finding where in your boat they have run off to while you were resetting your gear, man can those puppies get out of a bucket and take off fast!!!!

Back