Kerosene / Diesel

C

cliffjumper

I have a kerosene heater, stove and pressure lamp and would like to know if diesel is an acceptable alternative fuel.

Kerosene is getting both expensive & hard to find as people move to propane & butane. I know jet fuel's OK, but that's no easier to get in small quantities either.

If you know, I appreciate your answers.

Cheers!

Don't think so.
Diesel is same viscocity as (and may be substituted for) furnace oil.
Kerosene is much more refined, thinner.
Good try though.

Don't think so.
Diesel is same viscocity as (and may be substituted for) furnace oil.
Kerosene is much more refined, thinner.
Good try though.

actually the difference if flashpoint, in diesel its called cetane rating. Kerosene has a lower flashpoint but has less heat content. You can try it,the worse that can happen is you will get a bunch of black stinky smoke. There are two parts to diesel fuel, light ends- which ignites first firing up the heavy ends. The cetane rating is the ratio. There you have it.. diesel tech. 101 straight from the horses butt![:p]

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

Thanks guys. I'll try it on the stove first. It's easier to clean.

I figured with the new regs on diesel, reduced paraffin & sulphur, they might have a really close viscosity and a newly-reduced smog content as well as being available...

I wouldn't want to run #2 Diesel thru a kerosene heater.</u> If you do - VENT YOUR HEATER. The smoke and sulfur is not good stuff to be breathing in and doesn't smell good either! [:0]

The reason you can run Jet A and Jet B is they are both a kerosene grade fuel and have flash points around 100°F. #2 Diesel fuel (Road Diesel) is actually a emergency substitue fuel for jet engines, with a much higher flash point. #2 Diesel will burn hotter and smoke more. Diesel comes in different grades, with different flash points. #1 Diesel is a kerosene grade fuel!</u>

You sure could try #1 fuel oil, which, is nothing more than #1 diesel and that should work just fine, without the additional smoke and smell that #2 is going to give you. But, don't think Diesel... THINK... #1 Fuel Oil, same, same, but has NO road tax! :D

No. 1 Fuel Oil and #1 Diesel is kerosene grade and has a flash point of 104°F. No. 2 is the diesel that trucks and cars run on, leading to the name "road diesel". It is the same thing as heating oil (#2 Heating oil), which is what you burn in a furnace! [:I]

And, I sure in the hell would NOT use any form of gas, unless it was manufactured for it! That is unless you want to meet your maker? [8]

X2 Charlie,
I used to have a Dickinson oil stove that had a carb made for stove oil (#1 diesel). It wouldn't burn #2 properly without changing carbs. And as far as I know, it's a problem to try and run a home oil furnace with #2 without some modification. I don't know about kerosene, but if I had to I would try stove oil first.

Thanks again guys... I do for sure... absolutely.. know any gas in these babies is suicidal. Those jets would just pour out a torch of flame, and very quickly overheat & vaporize the gas in the tank to 'splosif Lucy!

Thanks again! Cheers!

Back