Just back from Telegraph

B

Brokenrod

Lots of southeast blowing, we got a brake Sun afternoon. My wife and I picked up 4 chickens, she caught her first Halie! She can't wait to go again.(Thats a good thing)
I had an oppertunity to try out my new drift sock, it worked great, we were able to get down in a 20-25 kt wind.I have a 21' Trophy hard top and she likes to sail in the wind.

Drift sock. so I geuss you tie it right off the nose?

I have tried it off the bow and the stern. The bow works best. I run a line from the bow eye to the aft cleat and tie off on the cleat. the sock has two lines. One to the large opening of the sock, it has 4 staps coming together kinda like a small parachute. That is the main line about 25' long with stainless clip to attach to the bow-cleat line. So when I put the sock in the water it bellows out creates drag and slides to the bow. Bow to the wind makes it nice fishing the hard top becomes a wind brake.
When you want to retrieve it, the second line come into play. It's attached to the small end of the sock. So when you pull it,the sock dumps and comes in with no resistance.
Works great

Brokenrod-- Ifyou want to catch some huge halibut, head staight across
to the mainland from telegraph cove , but pick a calm day as it can be a rough ride back if the wind picks up.

The chickens are fine with me, they are so frickin good. The big females can stay to seed another day!
Oh bye the way, speaking of hali-buts, how many of you anglers out there know where tbe old buts butt is?

Hey bottomwatcher, I would like to head up that way this weekend, can you give me any ideas of where to look for some hali fishin, I have fished the west coast lots, but have never tried mcneil area.

thanks bud

Sven, try the back side of Malcolm Island look for sandy-gravel bottom gentle slope 150'-200'

How much do the tides factor in to hali fishing up around the Hardy area? Are most people anchoring or drifting? Is there a site where you can find the best times to fish the bottom fish based on current.

Thanks SWC

SWC, I haven't fished Hardy much, mostly Malcolm area. I have tried fishing on the anchor and drifting. The bottom is great for drifting on any tide. The area can be hot or cold. When it's a little on the slow side I'll anchor up with a good bag of scent. Sometimes it takes a while but it usually works.

West Marine in Nanaimo. You can get them at Ocean Pacific as well as Cabelas

Back