Jack Gaunt, Legendary inventer of the Hot Spot Flasher & Apex Lure

coop

25 years ago I had the opportunity to fish with and learn a lot from Jack Gaunt. Whenever you fish with a Hot Spot Flasher or many of its imitations and rely on this flasher as a main part of your arsenal you can thank Jack Gaunt. Jack was the high liner commercial west coast troller in his day. His flashers out fished all the metal ones and he was always on the leader board. So much so that other fishermen were wanting Jack to make them flashers. A hard proposition considering that each one was hand cut and softened in molds in his coal oil oven on board. holes were drilled, swivels were attached and tape applied all while adrift off the west coast. Jack sold his boat and started full time making these flashers for the lucrative commercial trolling fleet at that time. As his patents ran out other manufacturers eager to cash in on market share started to replicate the Hot Spot Flasher and today it is pretty well the only design of flasher that is truly dependable and productive.

Jack is no longer with us. His flashers live on and so will this video of Gary Coopers Fishing Diary circa 1990. There is some good information in this episode as well some nice fish. Thanks to Jack Gaunt.

http://www.youfish.tv/19-gary-coopers-fishing-diaries-apex-springs_19a659fab.html

Thanks for that post.

Apexes are truly a fun lure....I have so many..a few of those exact colours being used in the episode.....and they slay Cohos....and also do very well for chinooks!

A Few years ago a fellow guide I really enjoyed fishing with---or shall we say competing against (was good for laughs and beers payback at the dock at the end of the days charters) decided he was going to show the young and reckless (me) that seniority and more experience (him--revered slayer) was the end all and be all.. Lol...

So, we both set out with our boats and guests in board. He was fishing the old standby hoochies and spoons behind flashers and I went with the "end all and be all" Coyote Green Glows and Midnight Riders and a Green and Chrome Apex....6.25"...we had repeat clients and we both knew it was going to be a FUN charter. Well, be damned...the Apex landed two 10 pounders and the other stuff...no bites and my guide buddy....1 fish on and lost. Cold beer in March never tasted so good!

That was one of the last times I fished Apexes while targeting Chinooks....I should use them more!

A couple years back my uv purple apex was my best salt water lure. We use them lots in Okanagan and kootenay lake they are worth having in the box forsure.

I used to use them at Bamberton many moons ago, with decent success too. I still have a couple around here somewhere.

I keep a copy of Bucktails and Hootchies by Colgrave and Gaunt beside the toilet so I re-read parts often. Jack wrote the Hootchies part. I need to try his 50" leaders for big summer chinooks this year.

Sounds like an interesting read ... just purchased the book from amazon used for $2 plus shipping :)

Back