IVQs....the US story

DIRECT Parallel to what has and is happening here in Canada. The halibut situation we are in today is a direct result of DFO pursuing the ITQ model here, and many more fisheries are now facing the same.

Just say NO to ITQ's!

Nog

DIRECT Parallel to what has and is happening here in Canada. The halibut situation we are in today is a direct result of DFO pursuing the ITQ model here, and many more fisheries are now facing the same.

Just say NO to ITQ's!

Nog

I think I have made my position on the ITQ fishery quite obvious, But alas I cannot resist one more opportunity to make it heard.

So YES............. X2 Matt JUST SAY NO TO ITQ. Too much control by those with the most money. Bad for fish, Bad for fishermen, and really bad for sporties. Also bad for the consumer who would like to be able to purchase some fish from the market. Price is way higher now for halibut because of it. Good only for those at the top of the heap.

Was good to see that some of the commie guys who got bucked off because of it ,had the balls to speak out about it. I personally have not seen this here in BC If many have done so I missed it but I would have applauded them for doing so.

Ray.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Was good to see that some of the commie guys who got bucked off because of it ,had the balls to speak out about it. I personally have not seen this here in BC If many have done so I missed it but I would have applauded them for doing so.

I count a decent number of long-liners amongst my friends, and Many are as choked over the whole halibut thing as we and the folks in the clip are. Difference here is that they were directly informed to Keep Their Mouths Shut or Lose any and all access to leased halibut quota - basically completely shutting down any chance of pursuing their chosen livelihood. So, while some of them will allude to their discontent in private, it presents a Very Serious Risk to do anything of the kind in public. Unfortunately, the Fish Barons have a rather tight noose around these Ladz necks, and know just how and when to tighten that to keep things as they prefer... :(

Cheers,
Nog

Last edited by a moderator:
I count a decent number of long-liners amongst my friends, and Many are as choked over the whole halibut thing as we and the folks in the clip are. Difference here is that they were directly informed to Keep Their Mouths Shut or Lose any and all access to leased halibut quota - basically completely shutting down any chance of pursuing their chosen livelihood. So, while some of them will allude to their discontent in private, it presents a Very Serious Risk to do anything of the kind in public. Unfortunately, the Fish Barons have a rather tight noose around these Ladz necks, and know just how and when to tighten that to keep things as they prefer... :(

Cheers,
Nog

Thanks for that Matt:
That is a good point,one of which I have heard before and should have added. I did not intend to suggest the guys here are to weak,I was just impressed by the folks on the video that laid it out in simple and understandable terms.

The point you bring up is one more example of how wrong the entire direction DFO is taking things really is.

It proves the DFO is owned by these big wigs. And we are worried about the Mafia?

Back