ISA found in Fraser trib Coho

Lipripper

Couldn't imagine if they do find out that this is fatal for Pacific Salmon and the only way to eradicate it is to poison the whole river like they did in Norway. This coast would never be the same again.

There’s been way too many pockets lined to turn a blind eye to all this. It amazes me to read Alexandra Morton’s site explaining how we have no control over testing the imported eggs coming into this country as that’s a violation of World Trade Organization rules. Screw the World Trade Organization, it won’t be too far off that the WTO will dictate all control over the export of our water as well. They need to be challenged while they still can be or maybe they can’t be. Sadly, probably the latter.

There needs to be a watchdog organization in place to hold our Governments accountable with the power to render serious fines and charges. Their needs to be the mechanism in place to send corrupt politicians and members of DFO to jail over this. Maybe then, their wouldn’t be so much of this B.S. going on. God knows there is no accountability now.

They have to be responsible for their negligence as well as their corruption, we would be. It now seems like our whole Government system falls under the protection of a form of “Diplomatic Immunity” and they know it only too well.

I guess we have to wait for the U.S. press to bring enough attention to this before our Government will be embarrassed and pressured into taking this seriously. Keep that pressure on Alaska! Unfortunately, by that time it’s likely too late if it isn’t already.

Our Canadian Media is toothless and muzzled by the Corporation’s that own it and the Farmed Salmon advertising dollars they don’t want to loose. We need to get Sportsnet, TSN and few others to remove any of this advertising, then boycott the rest. At least that way we can still watch on the days that we would be fishing.

No more fish, no more need for environmental protection of our oceans. Bring on off shore drilling, Supertankers and lots of it, we’ll need the extra revenues to bail out the poor Norwegian Fish Farmers for their lost crops.

Somebody needs to organize a march or rally and invite the press from other countries to cover it. Maybe if it makes “Entertainment Tonight” it will be seen by the Canadian audience. Maybe Paris Hilton and Lindsay Lohan can arrive crotchless in a Limo just to stir things up.

This whole thing makes me sick and I can’t believe how far we’ve allowed our politicitians to stray to the dark side. Represent us for a change!!

Sorry, had to get it of my chest.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is against the rules to test when they come into the country then do what they do for plants and animals - quarantine.

More background on this from Alex; http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/
I would suggest anyone taking eggs at hatcheries should start collecting tissue samples from broodstock. Hearts, livers gills and kidneys. Contact Alex to find out the proper methods to store them.
Helpis also needed to set up an independent lab on the Island.

DFO has it's #1 mandate butt backwards. They are supposed to protect fish, but have twisted it around to protecting fish business interests. If they spent as much time actually protecting and restoring fish populations as they do protecting and spinning a tail for big business we wouldn't be in this mess.

Bang on, profisher. And that seems exactly the mandate that our conservative government gave DFO. Unfortunately, in all their shortsightedness they even calculated this strategy wrong: they could create a lot more business and revenue from the fish resources by rebuilding the fish stocks for more but sustainable usage from all sectors but especially the most lucrative = the recreational sector. But since no one in the current senior government has any clue about fisheries and/or marine biology, they soley rely on the bad advice from lobbyiest and brain challenged MPs.

More background on this from Alex; http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/
I would suggest anyone taking eggs at hatcheries should start collecting tissue samples from broodstock. Hearts, livers gills and kidneys. Contact Alex to find out the proper methods to store them.
Helpis also needed to set up an independent lab on the Island.

This is an excellent idea. We have more than a few guys on here that have access to fish for testing.
Wonder if we got together we could send samples from the streams, we work with, and get a shipment down back east for tests. Perhaps send them 50 at a time. That would be around 2K dollars. Some of our members might want to kick in some dough to help streams that can't find the money. I'm sure we could be our own surveillance system and the goverment would have to answer to any our positive results we might find.

We could start with any streams that have had some low number results and also test streams that have many people working (supporting) on them. We could also compare our results with any results dfo might do on the steams they watch.

Comments are welcome on this idea....

GLG

I am also willing to help with this - either hands-on (Vancouver-based), or by breaking open my piggy bank ...

This is some really scary shiznit!

I am looking into this because I very worried about my local stream.
Will post when I have more info.
GLG

Back