In-boat dual battery charger/tender?

sly_karma

Crew Member
Looking for recommendations for hull-mounted charger that can maintain and/or recharge my two group 24 flooded batteries, one starter, one house. I have a Blue Sea ACR and shutoff switch installed. Power is a 130 Etec and a 9.9 Merc 4 stroke with electric start.

Will I need to change any of the existing wiring?

Looking for recommendations for hull-mounted charger that can maintain and/or recharge my two group 24 flooded batteries, one starter, one house. I have a Blue Sea ACR and shutoff switch installed. Power is a 130 Etec and a 9.9 Merc 4 stroke with electric start.

Will I need to change any of the existing wiring?
Wally look at the noco genius 2 bank charger series

I went with a 2 bank NOCO. Wires directly to each battery. It’s programable for battery type and it goes on sale at canadian tire from time to time.

then it wont charge both batteries...
And it won't charge either with the battery switch off when wired to the alternator?
However with the battery switch off and a charger installed to battery 1.. the acr would sense the charge on battery 1 and combine to charge battery 2 no?
That being said. If you wired a charger to the alternator and disconnected the batteries you may be buying a new alternator.

Last edited:
And it won't charge either with the battery switch off when wired to the alternator?
However with the battery switch off and a charger installed to battery 1.. the acr would sense the charge on battery 1 and combine to charge battery 2 no?
That being said. If you wired a charger to the alternator and disconnected the batteries you may be buying a new alternator.
I've been using a Noco automotive charger I had in my shop to charge. (Some pesky micro load will drain the house battery if the boat isn't used for 3-4 weeks). I directly clamp on to battery terminals and it charges one battery only. This is with the Blue Sea switch in Off position. Hadnt thought to try charging while in the On position, perhaps the ACR would see charging voltage on one side and close the relay to deliver charge to both batteries. I'm not sure where in the system it measures input voltage.

Thanks everyone, I'll look into those recommendations. I like the concept of a compact charger permanently mounted under the transom ready to plug in for maintenance charging of both batteries. Need to protect that house battery; nowhere to practically use paper charts in a 19 ft runabout, so those MFD screens are almost as important as preserving the starter battery.

Back