I want to melt some lead...

Bifmalibu

Hey guys. I have somewhere around 300lbs of old commercial lead in various sizes and shapes. I want to melt it and make it into 15lb downrigger balls. Anybody in the lower mainland (Maple Ridge area would be sweet) have the gear to do this? If interested maybe we could work out a trade or something? I'd bring the beer of course. Shoot me a pm if interested. Thanks!

i do some small scale smelting.... dont really like doing it all that much (lead poisoning?)

i do it outdoors on a turkey fryer burner, use the lower 1/2 of a 20 lb propane tank as a pot, and always use a respirator with hepa filters for lead vapours

you could easily do it yourself if you wanted to

If you're going to do it yourself, use a respirator (as mentioned) and clear face-shield, good leather gloves (insulated would be best) and also a fairly large fan to blow the fumes in the direction of the winds (stand upwind) if doing outdoors. a leather (or heavy canvas) smock also wouldn't hurt. remember water (moisture) and hot lead aren't a good combination. I've always poured all my own lead and have never had a problem so far... knock on wood.

Anybody have any leads on a mould? The other stuff I'm pretty sure I can scrounge up in the garage.

I am all in favor of beer consumption, but I think I'd leave the drinking until the job was done. Way to much potential for something bad to happen. Good luck with your project if you do it yourself. Just take lots of precautions like the guys above already posted. Good luck.

It's beyond silly the prices some places are asking for lead balls these days so I don't blame you for wanting to melt your own. I stopped in Ganges to grab a few things yesterday when I went over to the Gulf Islands. They wanted like $12 for a 1 1/2 pound bottom fishing ball. Talk about highway robbery. Glad I had some balls with me and didn't have to pay that outrageous gouging.

Back