Hook brands, sizes, and types.

D

Dancin

With all the options available it would be interesting to know what the board members prefer. I seem to have trouble finding a good selection of barbless even though they are required for salmon. Are there any hard and fast rules?(ex. 0/size = plug size, 5'0 for 5in.plug)
Spoons, do you change out your coyotes or go with supplied hooks?
Hootchies?
Bait rigs?
What about trebles?
Anyone using circle hooks for salmon?
Thanks for the input.
Dancin

Hook size is subject to a lot of variables, ie: size of the target species, size of bait or lure, water colour or condition.
Lures are made to be correctly balanced with a certain size hook, but you can experiment a little to get a different action from your lure.
I had a client from Idaho who showed me a lure used for salmon in his home-state rivers that sported a set of circle hooks.
When I tie the rig for an anchovy roller I use a single hook to anchor the bait (front hook) and a treble as a trailer.
Barbs can always be pinched down.
A loosely followed rule is the gap of your hook should be slightly wider than your bait, or lure body, to ensure the point will penetrate the salmon's jaw.
Always leave hook points exposed, ready to penetrate, when rigging bait.

Todd Rickard,
Charter Fishing Prince Rupert B.C.
www.silversuncharters.com

thats wierd I use a treble up front and trail a single when rigging anchovy, or just an anchored treble on small anchovy.

Any particular reason why you use a single hook up front and don't you find the extra bulk of a trailing treble to effect the roll too much?

All that being said, I only use gammi's - razor sharp and they come barbless.

The treble trailer rides staight behind the bait in the 'center' of the roll, not flipping around, so it really dosen't affect the roll.
I use it because it is a common rig where I fish.
One of the drawbacks is when a fish like coho rolls in the line, the line can catch in the center of the treble where the three hooks come together and snap/cut the line.

Todd Rickard,
Charter Fishing Prince Rupert B.C.
www.silversuncharters.com

I don't run trebles on anything but pipe jigs. Big trebles can be hard on releasing fish. I really like the Mustad stainless hooks. I run a heavy leader of 50 pound so I do not have break offs. This way I do not leave a hook in a fishes mouth tha will not rot off.

I like the Mustad 92553s for hootchies and bait. 3/0 to 6/0 works best. On hootchies I normally just run one and its behind the hootcy an inch. I like the Mustad 9510XXXS for spoons and jigs. Use a hook file on these and they are scary sharp. Slip with the file and you will impale your finger to the bone. The 9510s have a very long point return so there is a big loop to hold the fish on.

The only bad thing about stainless for bait is if they swallow the hook. I usually run 6/0-7/0 for huge bait for salmon. I like to pinch the barb so it leaves a bump to help hold the fish on.

I do not recommend the Mustad Salmon leader hooks that are chromed. They are crap.

The other I like is the Owner hooks they are sharp too. I really don't care for the Gami siwashes. They are sharp but have short hook returns and can be tough to hold a big ocean king or coho.

I run a particular spoon called a Luhr Jensen Diamond King. It is deadly with the small diameter 3/0 Gamikatsu. The big kings just hammer it but it is tough to keep one on. I put on one of my 9510 XXXs which is a thicker shank hook. It is heavy enough that it kills the spoon. That same spoon immediately goes dead. I have not found a light enough hook to make this as deadly. Those spoons are pretty light and get bent to hell with a high teen coho or Tyee.

Fishinnut,

I've seen the Diamond King spoons at the tackle store but never picked any up. I've pretty much stuck with the Coyote's when fishing spoons. What size Diamond's do you prefer and what colors?

I'm with you on the Mustad 9510 XXX. Great hook. Owner makes a quality hook too.

Slabby ><)))'>

quote:Originally posted by Fishinnut

I don't run trebles on anything but pipe jigs. Big trebles can be hard on releasing fish. I really like the Mustad stainless hooks. I run a heavy leader of 50 pound so I do not have break offs. This way I do not leave a hook in a fishes mouth tha will not rot off.

I like the Mustad 92553s for hootchies and bait. 3/0 to 6/0 works best. On hootchies I normally just run one and its behind the hootcy an inch. I like the Mustad 9510XXXS for spoons and jigs. Use a hook file on these and they are scary sharp. Slip with the file and you will impale your finger to the bone. The 9510s have a very long point return so there is a big loop to hold the fish on.

The only bad thing about stainless for bait is if they swallow the hook. I usually run 6/0-7/0 for huge bait for salmon. I like to pinch the barb so it leaves a bump to help hold the fish on.

I do not recommend the Mustad Salmon leader hooks that are chromed. They are crap.

The other I like is the Owner hooks they are sharp too. I really don't care for the Gami siwashes. They are sharp but have short hook returns and can be tough to hold a big ocean king or coho.

I run a particular spoon called a Luhr Jensen Diamond King. It is deadly with the small diameter 3/0 Gamikatsu. The big kings just hammer it but it is tough to keep one on. I put on one of my 9510 XXXs which is a thicker shank hook. It is heavy enough that it kills the spoon. That same spoon immediately goes dead. I have not found a light enough hook to make this as deadly. Those spoons are pretty light and get bent to hell with a high teen coho or Tyee.

for your Diamond Kings you need to use the Blue Mustads---they're not stainless, but like half the weight and should do just fine.

They're specifically designed for spoons and the commercial guys use 'em.

:) :)

I know the problem you're talking about, and that's what I did...and viola...she came back.

If you like trebles try VMC, 3X strong. They are, by far, the best hooks I've ever used. They are made in France.

I swear by Eagle Claws 2/0 for chovies, or 3/0 on occasion. Get the xtra strong ones, or they just bend. BTW, if you like Buzz-Bombing around the rocks, you can heat the regular Eagle Claw hooks up where they bend so if you snag 'em, you just pull 'em and the hooks bend instead of you loosing your metal jig (Good trick for the lazy days in the summer when I go east looking for Lings).

I like the size 5 or the biggest. These spoons need to be washed with freshwater and lemon Joy after used or the polished back will go dull when you pull it out next time. I am assuming you are coating it with shrimp, herring, sardine, or some kind of oil. I like the same colors you use for coyotes. It is the same exact stamp out as the 6.0 Coyote but much lighter. I run the fluorescent green/glo or #0188. I like to sand an 1/8" off of the edge of the green and re coat it with white paint and then do a flame red over it for a stripe. They make a coyote spoon like this now called a red racer. but use your regular coyote colors you like. Cop Car (black and white) funky chicken, chrome with flash, green and nickel, blue and nickel, etc. The green glow is my all time favorite.

I did find a lighter hook, that is pretty big but lighter. I would like it to be lighter yet and will check the blue mustads out. Thanks for the info. In 2005, It was funny, I took two kids out fishing out about 15 miles out of Westport. My friend called me and told me to get out there where they were fishing as the bite was on. I punched it up on my GPS and still had 13 miles to go. The water was rough and I knew the bite would be over before I could get there so I decided to drop the DRs and fish where I was. I had caught two 40 pound kngs in this area in previous years. They radioed me in an hour and asked where I was. I told them I decided to stay as we were catching fish.

They said the bite died right after we talked. I told them it was not red hot but a fish every 20 minutes or so. They came over to fish by us and I think we had had three in the boat and had three to go. This was a year when they opened us to 2 kings per person towards the end. As soon as they pulled up we had another king hit. They set up and started trolling. We kept catching fish with this diamond king. We would do a big loop and either land or let go of the fish. Every time we did a big circle and would come back by them we would nail another. I finally told them that we were going to keep the last fish as my son's friend was seasick so we were heading in. They had not gotten one bite. They were screaming at me to buy that spoon. I blew up a Ziplock bag and put the spoon it for them to net. We soaked it in shrimp oil every time it came up. We did have a king bite one and bend it in half. They are great spoons and getting about impossible to find so go to the store and buy them. Luhr Jenson was bought out by Rapala or Normark and left Oregon to go oversea. I cannot get these with my colors anymore.

I recently went to a Baseball tournament over in Idaho for my son and they had them there at a tackle shop for the Lake Pende O'reille fishery. I bought them out.

I have been using a black owner siwash 5/0 that works OK but is still a little on the heavy side.

I don't think you can go wrong for the color as long as the action is good and you have a decent shine on the back. These kind of flutter a little. I usually fish big kings from 25-80 feet deep. My favorite depths down are 37' and 57'. I like to end in lucky seven. We have caught two 50 pound kings at 37' and many 30 and several 40s at that depth. I always pay attention to how deep the bait balls are. Early in the summer season those bait balls can be 150 feet deep or more. I will target where I see the most bait. Mid to late summer I come up to my favorite depths.

As for bottomfish hooks I like the stainless Mustad 9510XXXs. I have 9/0s I use for them. In the straits I tie them onto a 100 pound leader. I file the long point really sharp and make a squid/herring sandwich. I put a huge black label herring in a fresh squid right after I squirt a ton of squid or shrimp oil in it. Push the herring up tight in the top and take your top hook and put it through the top of the squid, through the herrings head, and back out the top of the squid. The next 9/0 hook on the leader I put through the body right where the squid body meets the mantle. I put it through and have it came back out like you do for a second hook on a herring for salmon.

This set up yields many halibut. It is deadly effective unless it rips the tentacles off. When this happens get a new squid. They really lose interest after they are gone. These hooks are so sharp I do not think the halibut feel it. I just let them eat it and when the rod loads up completely bent over I set the hook. This works great.

Out in the ocean I don't even use bait as these fish are not picky at all. I like the big hooks and use a monster 14" squid. I use the pearl white and not the glow. The glow is about 1 for 10 compared to white. Go to the B2 Squid website and you can see my picture of a big ling I caught about 25-30 miles off the coast, off the edge of one of the canyons, 550' deep. I used the same hook setup I described above only the hooks are at the base of the mantle and bottom of the 14" rubber squid.

Here is the link to cut and paste. I am on page 2 on the second line down on the right. My name is under Ron Garner.

http://www.b2squid.com/photo-gallery/1/soft-plastic-fishing-lures.htm

Thanks for everyone for their contributions to date.

I too like those Mustads made of softer stainless-easy to sharpen and Yes I've punctured myself to the bone too!

Also those Blue hooks I had no idea what they were good for before reading this thread and Yes I can see it making a difference.

Ron--Good point about the shine on the back of the spoons-a buddy of mine is incensed that one Coyote model is now painted on the back not silver-he removed the paint but it's base metal not the same thing at all.

I have a few of the Diamond Kings but never used them much for whatever reason.

Back