Honda BF 225 water pump

Gear'n'beer!

Flashed up my Honda 225 in the driveway yesterday and it isn't moving water and goes into limp mode instantly. Pulled lower end off to find this
image.jpg

Not overly surprised, I am surprised however at price/availability of whole pump (impeller, housing, plates etc). A merc water pump is a fraction of the cost, not even worth just replacing the impeller as the kit is so cheap. Anyway, anyone know of a good dealer to get this from? Kit # is 06193-ZY3-000 PUMP KIT, IMPELLER | (Optional). $165.84

I already did the Google route and just ended up getting pissed off. Called Sherwood too but they would have to order it so I might as well just do the ordering myself.

If anyone has any Intel i would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
GnB

Hey GnB I run the same motor and have replaced a couple of impellers. I'm heading to my boat mechanic tomorrow so I'll ask him where he has been getting the parts
Scott

My twin BF 150's have just turned over 500 hrs so I dropped the legs and checked the impellers to find little or no wear. Ran a tap up all the holes, lubed the bolts with OMC sealant and slapped them back together. I suppose the type of water you run in could accelerate wear and also sitting for long periods can cause impeller to seize to housing and be damaged on startup. Once it is damaged it is only a matter of time until complete failure. I am still amazed how durable the impellers are in most motors as long as they are not run dry.

Have you tried SG Power ?
phone 250-382-8291
ask for Steve in marine parts

Actually spoke to Steve this morning at screw & gouge......and lo and behold they do have one in stock.....you don't want to know the price however :(
GnB

We've been getting our parts from Boatland in Campbell River. They do have one in stock but its $240!!! Can you get away with just the impeller kit? On line at iboats it was $130 plus $50 shipping. One thing I do know is that you should make sure you replace with genuine Honda parts
Good luck

I am a little concerned for you. Price of parts is one thing however what is with all the black sludge in the housing?

I have done a lot of Merc and Honda impellers over the years and never saw one quite like that. Has oil from the lower end leaked into the housing through the seals? Or water getting in the gear lube?

That looks like rubber from the impeller melting from running dry. Ouch. Possibly had a blocked water inlet. Had that happen last summer trolling. A big piece of kelp wrapped around the leg of the kicker. Caught it in time though. TF

Yes the black $h1t is chewed up impeller, lucky enough, it all looks like it's there so no passage blockage.

Marina I mooored at last year had a lot of kelp. Had to clean it off every trip after I got out of the island of kelp around my boat. Couple times in the dark I did go into limp mode and had to clean more off, so I know it got hot. I pulled screens and they were fine. I did both oils on main and kicker and leg oil was fine.....I guess the $220 from s&g isn't that bad then Scotth!

Thanks sharp hooks, I looked at boats.net but with our exchange and the $36 international shipping rates it was pretty much a wash just buying from dealer. On an aside, I went to pick parts up yesterday and when I opened box(at service counter) housing, cup and impeller weren't in box! Glad I didn't get girlfriend to pick it up for me, then have to explain when returning it that the most important components weren't in box.

GnB

best place for Hona parts:

www.boats.net

point, click, pay, you'll get the parts in a few days

GOOD LUCK

This!!Love these guys.Saved a ton on parts for my 8 hp Honda kicker.Haven't bought anything since our dollars' been
around $.80 but most times the savings were 40-50% after shipping.Takes about a week as they comes from Florida I believe,but if your not in a huge hurry, no biggie.

Back