Homemade sausage

pdfish

After a decent hunting season, it was finally time to do something with the trim.
Whitetail breakfast sausage
D76F48F7-B6DB-4949-BAED-1729B13E8F62.jpeg
Moose bratwurst
58F0E823-4A94-4546-948F-CDA4917B71AC.jpeg
Whitetail/moose jalapeño cheddar smokies
42F7A8B3-F6A8-4AD1-8012-05FC371FCEC1.jpeg
All in all, really happy with the results. Usually a good sign when the neighbours are asking for more.
The process of grinding and stuffing was a little tedious, but definitely satisfying doing the whole field-to-table experience

After a decent hunting season, it was finally time to do something with the trim.
View attachment 64700
Moose bratwurst
View attachment 64701
View attachment 64702
All in all, really happy with the results. Usually a good sign when the neighbours are asking for more.
The process of grinding and stuffing was a little tedious, but definitely satisfying doing the whole field-to-table experience
Thats some great product there bud.. very nice!

View attachment 64700
Moose bratwurst
View attachment 64701
View attachment 64702
Looks awesome. What casings did you use for the smokies? I'm trying to do something similar.

View attachment 64700
Moose bratwurst
View attachment 64701
View attachment 64702
That’s the motivation I needed !!!!!! Better peel out the Elk and moose and get busy. I like how you blended the two ? I also have done to that . Great way to mask the whitetail when you have moose lol. Great work!!!!

That’s the motivation I needed !!!!!! Better peel out the Elk and moose and get busy. I like how you blended the two ? I also have done to that . Great way to mask the whitetail when you have moose lol. Great work!!!!
Truth be told, I had just the right amount of moose and whitetail left over (combined) to make the smokies. Got lucky. Next year, I’m gonna weigh out the trim as I go so I have the right amount in each bag to make a batch.
For a buck in the rut, wasn’t gamey at all, only made it 30 yards from where the arrow hit him. The moose only made it 50. Both arrowed from same stand

View attachment 64700
Moose bratwurst
View attachment 64701
View attachment 64702
Are you using a binder in your smokies? What internal temp did you smoke to? I just ran a batch of black bear smokies. I used a 25mm hog casing which I now realize was too small. They look more like hot dogs than smokies. I will switch back to 32mm next time. The bigger problem that I had was getting a consistent color on the outside. Some are a beautiful brown on one side and a pinkish on the other side. I smoked mine low and slow up to 160 degrees internal which is necessary for bear. I had a few on the racks like yours but I also hung quite a few on hooks. I'm happy with the taste and the cheddar didn't melt out so my temps weren't too hot I just don't know how I can get a more uniform colour that looks like a traditional smokie.

Cheers,
Brian

Are you using a binder in your smokies? What internal temp did you smoke to? I just ran a batch of black bear smokies. I used a 25mm hog casing which I now realize was too small. They look more like hot dogs than smokies. I will switch back to 32mm next time. The bigger problem that I had was getting a consistent color on the outside. Some are a beautiful brown on one side and a pinkish on the other side. I smoked mine low and slow up to 160 degrees internal which is necessary for bear. I had a few on the racks like yours but I also hung quite a few on hooks. I'm happy with the taste and the cheddar didn't melt out so my temps weren't too hot I just don't know how I can get a more uniform colour that looks like a traditional smokie.

Cheers,
Brian
I used a pack of jalapeño cheddar mix from CTR. I’m assuming there was some sort of binder in there. Just added high temp cheese to the mix
I smoked to 160 as well…had to run it a bit quicker due to picking kids up at school. They were smoked on a friends green mountain without turning

Cheers,
Brian
Did you use a cure? That's what gives that beautiful pink.

Did you use a cure? That's what gives that beautiful pink.
Yes, I'm using a cure. I did get some color change but not as uniform as I'd like. Pdfish looked a lot more uniform that's all. The flavor which was a home blend is on point I just need to work on the smoking. I think the biggest problem for me is trying to keep good airflow around them. I'm hanging everything now rather than using racks. The hanging works great but I'm struggling a bit with keeping them from rubbing against one another. I ran a batch of snack sticks today and I think I've come up with a solution.

Black bear pepperoni sounds delicious
Yes it is. My son's started hunting last year and Michael finally got a spring bear last week. I'm not a real fan of killing animals but I sure like to eat them. Spring bear is really lean and delicious. I kept a hind ham that I can't wait to brine and smoke. Everything else became breakfast sausage, smokies, pepperoni, and ground for burgers, etc.

Back