Hewscraft Searunner Foam Removal Project

you got standing holding a shovel down. you would fit right in with those city workers lol.

You did an awesome job getting rid of that nasty foam. Your boat is over the Canadian Coast Guard requirement for foam. I just have to ask the question though. Are you comfortable with out it? You still have non self bailing decks and have to rely on a mechanical and electrical bilge pump to keep you afloat if **** hits the fan.

I fully understand why you did it and I hate foam in an aluminum boat.

Hi sculpin I'm fairly comfortable. I will add a second bilge pump to be a little safer. I am thinking of putting a 8 ft inflatable on the hard top as an alternative. I think the foam is a false sense of security. If you go on the hewescraft site and the boat only has enough floatations to salvage the boat so everything but the bow will be under water.

Anybody ever hear of folks using inflatable dry bags between the stringers in place of the foam, similar to the bags whitewater canoers use? I'm fairly confident that spending 90+% of the time here in the super hot and dry interior my foam on my newish sea runner is fine (checked a couple of spots this spring and dry as a bone) but it is a worry none-the-less with all the stories and chats online about the issue of wet, heavy foam and corrosion. Like sculpin points out, if I removed I'd want to replace with other floatation and always thought some type of inflated dry bag, kept up off the bottom to allow drainage, would be the ideal solution. Searched in the past and have never come across someone trying it, though I'm sure someone must have.

Project looks great, Kevin D, lots of hard work and attention to detail.

Cheers!

Ukee

Anybody ever hear of folks using inflatable dry bags between the stringers in place of the foam, similar to the bags whitewater canoers use? I'm fairly confident that spending 90+% of the time here in the super hot and dry interior my foam on my newish sea runner is fine (checked a couple of spots this spring and dry as a bone) but it is a worry none-the-less with all the stories and chats online about the issue of wet, heavy foam and corrosion. Like sculpin points out, if I removed I'd want to replace with other floatation and always thought some type of inflated dry bag, kept up off the bottom to allow drainage, would be the ideal solution. Searched in the past and have never come across someone trying it, though I'm sure someone must have.

Project looks great, Kevin D, lots of hard work and attention to detail.

Cheers!

Ukee
If you want flotation, a cheap safe reliable way to get it is to use plastic water/pop bottles.

Back