Help with trailer braking system

steve01

Was heading home the other day and my trailer brakes locked up..the safety cable never was pulled. I do have some corrosion on the safety battery not sure if that would cause it, as its there for power if it disconnects from tow vehicle.
Im running an electric over hydraulic system

Any ideas on why this happened?

Thanks

It could be a problem with the trailer connector, or a problem with the controller or brakes. The first thing I would check is the trailer connectors on the truck and trailer. Make sure they are clean and free of corrosion. Corrosion could cause a short between the 12 volt power wire and the brake output wire. You should also check for dirt and corrosion on the back side of the connectors.

is it possible that the brake fluid may have been topped up with the wrong fluid?
oils in the brake master can and will cause rubbers to swell and will lock brakes on?
were you able to get it moving afterwards? what did you do to release the brakes?
As foxsea says it could also be a short in the harness or connector somewhere
what brake controller are you using or is it integrated into the truck
you dont mention if the brake pump was running or stuck on

Hey guys thanks for replys
Brake controller is integrated into truck.
No brake fluid has been added.

Too release the brakes all I had to do was disconnect power from the truck.

I'm starting to wonder if that battery has anything to with it as one terminal is corroded?

Many of the electric over hydraulic systems do not work properly with the integrated controllers. I had to install an aftermarket controller, works fine now.
Ted

Many of the electric over hydraulic systems do not work properly with the integrated controllers. I had to install an aftermarket controller, works fine now.
Ted
my 2013 gmc would not recognize mine untill I wired in 2 dummy electric brake actuators to provide feedback to the integrated controller, now works fine, truck just needs to see or sense a load

Back