Harper to scrap Long-Gun registry?

Little Hawk

Well if what I heard on the news last night was true, maybe it's a sign that Harper is turning his ear to the outdoorsman. Now if we could only get him to pay due attention to the salmon farming and Pacific salmon & halibut fishery issues, he'd be a shoe-in.

Somehow I feel that's a stretch.

I'm with Holmes all the way on this one. It's BS to get back in on the rural vote. They will always "miss it by that much" if it's put to a vote. If he wanted to eliminate it, as Prime Minister he could have just done that. All I can see is a streak of brown leading to the poles.

This promise will probably hinge like all of his other promises, on whether they balance the budget or not.

Conservative Gun Registry Policy

OK, guys. One thing I can tell you about Stephen Harper is that he is serious about getting rid of the long-gun registry. I have talked to him personally on this topic several times.

Back in the days before he was even leader of the Canadian Alliance Party, I talked with him about it before he gave a speech in Delta. Not only did he talk about ending the gun registry, he used my notes in his speech that night.

As the Prime Minister of a MINORITY government, he can not just decide to do away with the gun registry. It is just not a political option until he has a MAJORITY in parliament.

The main problem is the Liberals who voted this abortion into being in 1995 - there is just no way they will willingly support ending their precious gun registry. Just not going to happen. Period.

While a few members of the NDP did support ending the registry, Jack Layton whipped the vote on C-391 recently and that ended up losing by just one vote.

I have spent the last 16 years fighting C-68, the gun registry, and the Liberals who brought this in. It is a subject I am quite familer with.

As I have said here before, don't paint all Conservatives just because John Duncan is an butt. There are bigger things at play than the Halibut Allocation. Like the economy, jobs, for instance.

Couldn't of said it better myself Sushi. Harper has always wanted to get rid of it, and to say its just for votes is pretty nuts if you look back at his record on the issue and his want to rid the country of it and it's costs.

Cudos to all of you who opposed the gun registry. I too count myself among the measly 200 or so souls who took the time to attend the first Bill C-68 opposition rally at the Legislature here in Victoria back in the mid 90's. It's appalling really, how so many of us Nucks ***** & whine about stuff then sit on our asses and do nothing about it.

As far as the vote goes, I'm as perplexed and confused as the next guy, but I have clarity on one thing: I can not and will not with a clear conscience, give my precious vote endorsing a party whose office charged with stewardship of Pacific salmon (DFO) actively engages policies that are destructive and counter-intuitive to the welfare of our precious fishes, while openly promulgating the tragic infection of salmon-farming on our Coast. End of story.

People whine about jobs and the economy and all the important things the Conservatives and Provincial Liberals stand for, but I have little faith that ANY government will be THE primary instrument in getting our economy healthy again. If left to their own devices, with little or no interference from the Fed, I have the utmost confidence that the Great Canadian Business spirit and machinery will pull us through. But it can not - and must not - come at the expense or sacrifice of British Columbia's greatest assets - our Wild Things' and Wild Places.

The trick here is to figure which of the other parties to vote for so I don't waste my vote.

Gonna' watch the Great Debate at 4 pm today and see if that shines any light on it. These televised debates are good in the sense that the '****' these people spew on TV is on record for the whole world to see & hear.

I just hope that important questions are asked and answered.

So, here is the news, Canada set to abolish national long-gun registry! Now, Gun rights supports are looking at Canada with certain interest lately, writes BBC News. The majority Conservative party is presenting legislation that would ban the national long-gun registry. The country's long-gun registry, which affects rifles and shotguns, would be shut down. It's nice to see the Parliament of Canada starting to work together for the good of all Canadians. Great news, indeed. :)

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum. Where did you source this?

The two stupid provinces of Canada are threatening to sue if the federal government destroys the database on long guns. They should only get data pertaining to those two provinces. I can imagine a convoy of cops coming out west to arrest us cowboys!

Gunner, I just noticed you are in Ft. Mac. WTF? Weren't you running a boat on the Fraser just a while back? Sorry, off topic.

I have a house in Terrace and go out of Kittimat and Prince Rupert. Not near the Fraser.

Wow, a politician that is actually doing what he promised to do! Amazing and perhaps a first. Scrap away!!!

Back