Harbercraft Kingfisher - they any good?

O

opp-i-ottan

Thinking about trading in my 2052 Trophy (2000 model) next year for 25 ft aluminum with single or twin outboards. Been looking at the Harbercraft Kingfisher 2525 Pilot House (can be had for about 120k including tax). Like to be able to go off shore - LaPerouse Bank, Swiftsure etc... any advise?

http://www.harbercraft.com/2006/ocean/2525-intro.htm

Take one out in rough chop before you buy one.
Heard from a couple people that by the time you get back to the marina, you'll bet a couple inch's shorter because of the pounding.
Deadrise is not ideal for the saltchuck.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I believe most of the Harbourcraft line was designed around the Jetcraft line of river boats.

why not get an Eaglecraft Outlaw Eagle at that kind of money, they have a SWEET demo boat on the website :)

Thanks Tomic Time for the plug!!! Just got back from the Seattle Boat Show I ran our demo Outlaw/Eagle 26" from Campbell River to Lake Union and back. All I can say is wow!!! Great trip down but worst sea conditions I have been out in on the way back, a small craft warning with us traveling at 26 to 30 knots with wind and waves on are stern in Pudget Sound and into the wind and waves from Nanaimo to Campbell River. It was a bit rough at times but never a worry! I could have traveled faster but the other boat I was traveling with was a slightly slower boat. I ran all the way from Lake Union to Sidney Cleared Customs then to Thetis Island then on to Campbell River all on one tank of fuel on a single 250 4 stroke Yami approx 10 Gallon Fuel Burn per hour @ cruise. Soon to be available with a volvo penta diesel. Check it out www.eaglecraft.bc.ca

Cheers Kevin

blueorca… thanks for the advise. I think you’re right about the basic river boat design. Guess it’s not a bad thing to be a bit weary of an ocean boat built in Vernon!

MyEscape… your Eaglecraft 26’ looks awesome! But, the price incl. tax will be well over 150k – out of my range I’m afraid! A few years from now maybe!? If you ever come across something similar but more used I’d be all ears! Feel free to contact me direct via email (it’s in my “User Profile”). Question for you… is the 9’6” beam on the Eaglecraft 26’ legal for towing in Canada? Or would I need special permit? I do a lot of traveling with my boat! The Harbercraft 2525 has a 8’6” beam.

Also, I have a friend who looking for a personal scuba cruiser. How’s the 22.5’ EagleCraft I/O you show on the web. http://www.eaglecraft.bc.ca/used_boat67.html She ain’t pretty but small enough to trailer easily and looks quite practical. Again feel free to contact me direct.

Cheers…

Yes a 9.6 beam requires a permit although most that are trailering don't have one.[:0] 9.5 beam vs 8.5 beam means more boat in the water when you stop the 1' wider means you are less to be a rocking cork in the water. Now combine a 9.5 beam with a 20 degrees constant dead rise and you have a perfect combo hull good for cruising at 28+ knots even in rough water but you also have a stable platform when bottom fishing or hali hunting, researched design and proven in the outlaw/eagle. A boat designed to deal with the waters of VI's west coast and what they can deal you in moment. A little more then most but you get what you pay for.;)

Your friend should be looking at the 21 foot used more suitable boat!!!!

Cheers Kevin

Kevin,

You got me sold already! [:p] I'm not unhappy with what I have now so I can hang in there for a while! Kraft dinner for a year or two should do it!:) Next time I'm in CR I'll pop in for a peek. Stay in touch and if anything comes up let me know!

Cheers,
Hans

Before you get sold on eaglecraft I run an awsome boat called a quintrex from australia. Mine is a 19.5 foot that thinks its a 24 or 25 footer they are sold at skippers marine off of stewart ave in naniamo. They have a very unique hull design called a millenium hull that acts like a fiber hull. the web site is www.quintrex.com.au. This boat took a little while to get used to but now I can get that boat to do anything i want it to. By the way mine is a 19.5 footer but they do make them much bigger. They are powered with suzuki outboards what sweet pieces of machinery wow!!!! They are shipped from australia and assebled in naniamo. all I can say is what a sweet boat.

wetbeaver... thanks for the info, but... what exactly do you mean it "took a little while to get used to"? What so different about it?

Back