Halibut processing in Ukee

outforsalmon

All,
Wondering if there is an authorized processor for Halibut in Ucluelet. Only time I get to fish Halibut is when I am there so have never been that good at it anyway. Now with the new regulations on size and identification I'm thinking of just taking our's in and having someone else fillet and package if the cost is not to bad. We will be up Sunday night for the entire week. Boat at Island west, camping at Ucluelet camp ground again. Looking forward to running into some old friends and meet some new ones. The week I look forward to more than any other each year. Wind this week does not look fun, hope it blows itself out by Sunday. Bob

There are two places but they charge a fortune be sure you're sitting down when you read the bill.

There are two places but they charge a fortune be sure you're sitting down when you read the bill.

That's what I was afraid of. Can you give me an idea? Do they go by pound or by piece? Guess I could just call but thought others may have the same question. Might just pick up a bottle to show my thanks to someone at the table that knows what they are doing. Guys are always willing to help out. Thanks DB

All I remember about Fishful Thinking is that they charged more for Smoked Salmon than Granville Island Market!

I stood there with my mouth open 'catching flies' after seeing the markup- I can't imagine what they'd charge to clean/package fish.

We get ours done in Tofino but may start bringing back to the city as it is MUCH cheaper over here. They charge per pound and if anything like the processors in Tofino you pretty much have to take in the entire fish minus the guts....that's where it starts to add up. Even with salmon they want it in with the head on. In Vancouver getting it done by Finest at sea the nice thing is your are charged per pound but you can just take in the filets and they'll do it.

Just a heads up if you process it yourself.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/packaging-emballage-eng.html

Packaging Halibut
Notice - Halibut Limits, Packaging and Closed Areas (PDF)

Packaging for Transport
  • Any halibut that you catch may be left whole, may have the head removed, or may be filleted as noted below.
  • Halibut may be packaged by a registered fish processing establishment. Some lodges are registered and provide this service and most coastal communities have certified establishments that also offer this service.
Filleting
Halibut that are too large for your cooler may be filleted for transport however some care must be taken to ensure that the fish you possess can be readily measured if inspected by a fishery officer.

• Once filleted you should have no more than seven pieces from each halibut including the one whole fillet with the tail and pectoral fin attached.
  • To remove the fillets so that you can comply with the maximum length requirement remove the top (dorsal) fillets first.
  • Remove the bottom (ventral) fillet from one side. This leaves you the last remaining fillet still attached, the backbone, tail, and the pectoral fin on the side opposite to where the first ventral fillet was removed.
  • You must retain the pectoral fin and the tail attached to the last fillet. Beginning at the pectoral fin, start to remove the fillet towards the tail as you normally would.
  • Once near the end of the fillet, cut through the spine above the tail being careful to leave the skin facing you at the tail attached.
  • When you have cut through the spine you can cut through the flesh at the end of the fillet down to the skin without cutting it through which then will act like a hinge allowing the tail to be folded under the fillet for transport. This will allow the length of your catch to be readily measured.
  • The dorsal fillets and the fillet without the tail and pectoral fin may each be cut into two pieces for ease of storage until you arrive at your ordinary residence.
  • Keep the pieces of each fillet together in its own bag.
  • The ventral fillet that has the tail and pectoral fin attached must remain in one piece. Should you make a mistake during this procedure on removal of this last fillet, retain the pieces from it and keep them together in a separate bag so that they may be inspected if required.
  • Fillet pieces that are frozen must be frozen separately so that each piece may be measured if required.
  • Avoid cutting fish into smaller pieces. The regulation states that the fish you possess must be readily measureable to determine that it is in compliance where size limits apply. You are responsible to comply with this requirement.

Thanks Pippen,
Good to know. Having not done one under these new rules and wanting to be sure Im in compliance, especially as a guest, this helps. Probably easier than it sounds but hoping to get some help the first time at the cleaning table, guys up there always seem ready to help out. Windyty is showing conditions improving Sunday on still a week out but hopefully holds.

We get ours done in Tofino but may start bringing back to the city as it is MUCH cheaper over here. They charge per pound and if anything like the processors in Tofino you pretty much have to take in the entire fish minus the guts....that's where it starts to add up. Even with salmon they want it in with the head on. In Vancouver getting it done by Finest at sea the nice thing is your are charged per pound but you can just take in the filets and they'll do it.

Just a heads up if you process it yourself.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/packaging-emballage-eng.html

Packaging Halibut
Notice - Halibut Limits, Packaging and Closed Areas (PDF)

Packaging for Transport
  • Any halibut that you catch may be left whole, may have the head removed, or may be filleted as noted below.
  • Halibut may be packaged by a registered fish processing establishment. Some lodges are registered and provide this service and most coastal communities have certified establishments that also offer this service.
Filleting
Halibut that are too large for your cooler may be filleted for transport however some care must be taken to ensure that the fish you possess can be readily measured if inspected by a fishery officer.

• Once filleted you should have no more than seven pieces from each halibut including the one whole fillet with the tail and pectoral fin attached.
  • To remove the fillets so that you can comply with the maximum length requirement remove the top (dorsal) fillets first.
  • Remove the bottom (ventral) fillet from one side. This leaves you the last remaining fillet still attached, the backbone, tail, and the pectoral fin on the side opposite to where the first ventral fillet was removed.
  • You must retain the pectoral fin and the tail attached to the last fillet. Beginning at the pectoral fin, start to remove the fillet towards the tail as you normally would.
  • Once near the end of the fillet, cut through the spine above the tail being careful to leave the skin facing you at the tail attached.
  • When you have cut through the spine you can cut through the flesh at the end of the fillet down to the skin without cutting it through which then will act like a hinge allowing the tail to be folded under the fillet for transport. This will allow the length of your catch to be readily measured.
  • The dorsal fillets and the fillet without the tail and pectoral fin may each be cut into two pieces for ease of storage until you arrive at your ordinary residence.
  • Keep the pieces of each fillet together in its own bag.
  • The ventral fillet that has the tail and pectoral fin attached must remain in one piece. Should you make a mistake during this procedure on removal of this last fillet, retain the pieces from it and keep them together in a separate bag so that they may be inspected if required.
  • Fillet pieces that are frozen must be frozen separately so that each piece may be measured if required.
  • Avoid cutting fish into smaller pieces. The regulation states that the fish you possess must be readily measureable to determine that it is in compliance where size limits apply. You are responsible to comply with this requirement.

Most of the guys at the dock are pretty cool and nice. I think you would get pretty good instructions from them if you asked. I think a bottle or 8 pack (now a days lol) would suffice :cool:. They would appreciate it. They might tell you some half decent spots to fish as well ;).

That's what I was afraid of. Can you give me an idea? Do they go by pound or by piece? Guess I could just call but thought others may have the same question. Might just pick up a bottle to show my thanks to someone at the table that knows what they are doing. Guys are always willing to help out. Thanks DB

Lots of instructions on YouYube, well worth a look at a couple.

Thanks for the tip,
Most of the guys at the dock are pretty cool and nice. I think you would get pretty good instructions from them if you asked. I think a bottle or 8 pack (now a days lol) would suffice :cool:. They would appreciate it. They might tell you some half decent spots to fish as well ;).
Lots of instructions on YouYube, well worth a look at a couple.

Good idea, thank you. Went to look it up and could not find a version properly done as described in pippens post. If anyone has a link please share.

Check this one out. I think this will help.

Check this one out. I think this will help.

Okay so this is the way I have always done it as well. Guess the only difference is that the pectoral fin fillet has to have the tail and fin attached (stomach meat) and be no longer then 101 cm first fish and the second fish no longer then 63 cm bagged so they can be pieced together and labeled correctly. Does not seem to bad.

Last edited:
Back