Halibut Gear

S

SeaFunMan

When halibut fishing, I find level wind reels very awkward to use. Because the reel is positioned on the top of the rod the cranking action works against you. I know pumping the rod is the correct technique with line retrieval only on the down stroke, but when fishing in big swells or rough water this can result in slack line (No, No). I switched to an 8” Alvey single action reel this year. I find it less exhausting and more in control of the load on the fish. The draw back is having your knuckles instantly reduced to hamburger if a big fish turns on you.

Comments? [?]

I agree. I find them awkward. The best improvement I found is a fighting belt which keeps the rod from turning. I still prefer my second rod with a Peetz reel on it. Only issue I have is 6:1 ratio is better than 1:1. It is a long haul on the Peetz.

Tips

big peetz for me. I find those penn type reels clumbsy as the handle is to far off centre of the line and when I reel in it wants to flip flop. You have to brace the reel against your forearm to keep steady, or maybe it's just me.

KISS, "keep it simple stupid"

I bought a 450 yard roll of 200 lb test line at Nikka for about $40.00. Enough to make 2 or 3 hand jig setups. I found a cheap plastic extension cord holder to wind in the line when moving spots. Add a couple pair of cheap rubberized gloves and 2 people can catch plenty of halibut for less than the cost of braided line let alone the price of 2 rods and reels. I like the feel of the handline and if you fish slack tides, the increased diameter of the heavy mono isn't that big of a deal in the current. As I only fish halibut twice a year it should last until I'm too old to pull a big fish up anymore.

One thing-sounds to me like the butts on the rods you're using are too long.
If the reel is too far away it's clumsy for people to use an 'overhead' reel.
I see this on a lot of the units that are sold here as Halibut rods.
They are in fact cheap production units with the wrong handle configuration, the wrong action and the cheapo fittings-thus people start to hate them.
A quality Seeker rod will last you as lifetime but you have to shop south to buy one.

Back