Halibut fishing 2013

Doug

FYI

Category(s):
RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon)

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0919-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish (Other than Salmon) - Halibut - 2013 Recreational Fishery Update - September 20, 2013

The DFO and Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB) Halibut Committee meets monthly
throughout the season to review estimated catches. At the most recent meeting,
it was determined that the recreational fishery harvest to August 31, 2013 is
approx. 807,000 pounds of the recreational fishery’s Total Allowable Catch of
1,080,450 pounds. This leaves a balance of approximately 273,000 pounds. As a
result, recreational fishing for halibut will continue through to December 31,
2013 under the current fishing regulations. The current size and numbers of
fish cannot be changed in-season as they are authorized for the entire year as
Conditions of the 2013-2014 Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence.

DFO will review the 2013 fishery (catches and management measures) and will
consult through the SFAB consultation process this fall/winter to consider
management options for 2014. Management measures will be announced in the early
spring.

Variation Order: 2013-442

FOR MORE INFORMATION:

Contact Devona Adams 604-666-3271 or Neil Davis 604-666-9033.

Fisheries and Oceans Canada Operations Center - FN0919
Sent September 20, 2013 at 09:48
Visit us on the Web at http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

If you have any questions or would like to unsubscribe, please contact us via e-mail to: OpsCentre@pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I see a 250000 surplus this year based on catch rate 75% of last year (which is current trend)...we were 73k over last year for reference

Hope the 200k-250k we have left over (wow that's a lot wasted if we can't carry it over) will carry over to 2014...that's significant.

Wow that's awesome they extended the season, stoked , i still have never caught one but nice to know have a chance remaining this year to do so! :)

I have a feeling that if they got rid of the 126 cm max size, even if it was just for 1 of 6, that our TAC would go ALOT quicker.

I have a feeling that if they got rid of the 126 cm max size, even if it was just for 1 of 6, that our TAC would go ALOT quicker.

smiley-slapping.gif

It would go much quicker...not because the weekend guy might get one over for the year...it would happen because the lodges and guides who want to target these fish will take their 2-4 man crews out to those productive grounds everyday and obviously being experts they will get them. For a customer of a lodge....what would be the difference between having no annual limit and no size restrictions as before ...and 6 per year and only 1 no size restriction. Nothing!!! A guided fisherman isn't concerned with an annual limit and they could only take one per day either way. So that change would put all lodges and guides that target halibut right back to their (pre-2013) normal take in pounds of quota, while the average guy who fishes here year round suffers more.

It would go much quicker...not because the weekend guy might get one over for the year...it would happen because the lodges and guides who want to target these fish will take their 2-4 man crews out to those productive grounds everyday and obviously being experts they will get them. For a customer of a lodge....what would be the difference between having no annual limit and no size restrictions as before ...and 6 per year and only 1 no size restriction. Nothing!!! A guided fisherman isn't concerned with an annual limit and they could only take one per day either way. So that change would put all lodges and guides that target halibut right back to their (pre-2013) normal take in pounds of quota, while the average guy who fishes here year round suffers more.
Thanks for pointing that out, never thought of it that way.

Logdes and guides are still a significant economic driver on this coast and it would be nice if they could offer their well-paying guests a shot for a fish of a lifetime too. Nobody wants to come to BC to catch small fish. Just saying.

AS someone suggested earlier - multiply the number of guides times the number of guests times the number of 100lb halibut and watch how fast the TAC would disappear. I, frankly, don't think a 60lb halibut is a small fish!!
I have no evidence to support this, but I suspect the biggest factor affecting the pound catch number this year was the top size limit.

But didn't we go over the % of halibut that are caught and kept over 60lbs is under 1%...someone with more time can scroll through last years debate in February. Not very many over 60lbs therefore if we have 250,000lbs left over this year I'm pretty sure if similar tac the 1 any size will work just fine at least till mid sept which is when 99.9% of fisherman fish off of bc anyway

Pretty sure we will get a chance to put forward our suggestions. Will be interesting to see how the new modeling that the IPHC is working with affects things. Be interesting to see if it is accepted as accurate this coming year or not. Until we see what the 2014 TAC is going to be the best we can do is put some suggestions forward and see if someone can run the numbers and make comparisons .

I think that if anyone is genuine concerned and has some well thought out suggestions they should make plans to attend their local fall and early spring SFAC meetings. At the very least they should forward their ideas to their local chair so as to ensure they are heard. Again it will depend on the numbers,and for those we will have to wait till the new year.

That's why we need to discuss this stuff now... Not next year. Next year is too late... It always happens new year rolls around and then its input time.....Never works.

It works perfectly. Just not for us.

Here's the link to the IPHC calendar. Nothing much will happen until after Jan 17 in terms of the official TAC announcement. It will be difficult to select regulations choices until we know the TAC. There is usually a preliminary TAC announcement with IPHC Science recommendations, but don't forget that we had a very positive change in the initial TAC announcement after the final IPHC meeting in January. Commission members do not have to accept the IHPC Science recommendations. That said, great to see folks wishing to get involved early and open up discussion on potential options. Here's link:

http://www.iphc.int/calendar.html

Back