Halibut Derby

Ken Abt caught the 201 lb halibut that won the $20,000 bonus prize. He got it near Oak Bay. It puked up a big piece of Octopus on the weigh scale, although I'm not sure that was what he caught it on. Most of the winners have come from Oak Bay/Haro Strait. If you do get one that's close to 202 lbs, DON"T BLEED IT and get it weighed ASAP!

what are the boundaries? could u fish offshore of
Bamfield. la perouse or soquel banks? Thanks Jay

Team Fah Cups. IE Fah Cups, Dancing Eagle and Island Idiots weighed in a 26 iber and a 110.2 Today. will post pictures when I figure out how to. Cheers II

Here is a photo of the 110. Awesome day on the water. Going for bigger tomorrow. Cheers I.I.

[img
JERRYSELKHUNT095.jpg
][/img]

Just for the Halibut!
One of the finest weekends I have had on the water began at the home of FAH-CUPS on Friday evening. Excited about the opportunity to get out with my friend and put the work week behind me, had me pumped. Together, we loaded the boat and hitched it to the truck and headed for Pedder Bay Marina to moor the boat for the weekend.

A good partner always gives his share and I directed FAH-CUPS to head for the Local Petro Can to fill the tank on his awesome 21 foot Glasply. FAH-CUPS pulled her up to the pump and I was out with my credit card and we did the deed. Stopping at my place we loaded up my gear and headed to the Marina.

Arriving sometime around 6 PM, we found the Marina Store closed, but decided to find a spot to tie up. After a short recon of the slips we found a spot that looked unused and tied up. After the boat was secure we headed for home, knowing the next day we would settle up with the Marina and everything would be fine.

FAH-CUPS dropped me off, with instructions that he would be by to pick me up at 6 AM. We were to meet the other member of TEAM FAH-CUPS; DANCING EAGLE, (from this point forward known as LUCKY EAGLE) at the Marina around 6:30 A.M.. After preparing the few items I would need for the morning,I Kissed the wife goodnight and hit the sack early, and dreamt of the promise of good times ahead.

Saturday morning FAH-CUPS was there as promised and I was ready. We jumped in the truck and headed out. The store was still closed when we got there so we loaded up the remaining gear. LUCKY EAGLE and I prepared the boat for departure as the skipper ran her up and set up the electronics.

As we motored out of the marina we knew we were in for a special day. The sun was working its way up and the wind was no where to be found. Sometime later FAH-CUPS had us on the spot and it was anchors away. We got our gear in the water and TEAM FAH-CUPS was fishing!

We knew the bite would come, we just had to wait. Not long after, FAH-CUPS hit the first fish. This got us excited and the smell was off the boat. It was not long after that LUCKY EAGLE jumped to pick up his rod and he was on. This was a good fish, taking line at a good rate and trying hard to pull him over the side. Concerned about running out of line, we considered letting go of the anchor to chase the fish if we had to. Fortunately LUCKY EAGLE was able to tighten down on the drag and turn the fish. After a whole lot of work, including another run, he was able to get her to the boat. FAH-CUPS drilled the big hali with the Harpoon and the fish went nuts. Trying to hold the fish from leaving with the rope, FAH-CUPS followed it up with the gaff. A couple of whacks with the baseball bat and it was ready to come over the side.

After some high fives, and some hooting and carrying on, FAH-CUPS estimated its weight at between 110 and 120 pounds. This was a new personal record for LUCKY EAGLE, and was definitely the biggest fish I had seen taken on rod and reel. WOW, I thought, it must be my turn!

As it turned out, it was not to be, so I would have to wait until Sunday for my chance at the big one. We headed in and found our slip. While FAH-CUPS put the boat to bed, LUCKY EAGLE tied her up and I grabbed a cart to get our catch to the truck so we could get to Outfitters for the weigh in. We stopped in at the Marina store and we all went in to settle up for the moorage. After FAH-CUPS gave his particulars, LUCKY EAGLE jumped in with his contribution and paid the bill.

Excited to get to the weigh in we loaded up the truck and headed for town, stopping at my place for the camera, and to show my wife the good work we had done. Arriving at Island Outfitters we were directed to the scale and weighed both fish in. FAH-CUPS came in at 26 pounds and he was not far off in his estimate, as LUCKY EAGLE's fish came in at 110 pounds and placed second for the time being.

We headed back to my place for some grub and a few celebratory beers.
The next morning we all met at my place at 6 AM and loaded up the truck and headed out to do it again. Unbelievably, it was even nicer. Getting to our spot, we found many more boats than the day before and we had to move off a ways to avoid the crowd.

After donating some gear to an unfriendly bottom, we were fortunate that our lucky spot became available and FAH-CUPS directed his deck hands to prepare to pull the anchor and move to the Promised Land. After dropping the hook on the recently vacated "top secret" location we dropped our gear down and waited.

By this point I had taken some friendly ribbing regarding my lack of contribution to the cause and I made a change to the set up and sent it back down. There we were, flat calm water, no wind, admiring the view off the “patio”, with a rainbow overhead.

Laughing, telling lies and elated at our second place position the preceding day, and the possibility we might be in for a cash prize, we just kicked back and took it all in. An hour before we would have to leave, I finally got my fish. After setting the hook and working the rod I had the fish beside the boat and FAH-CUPS drove in the gaff. It could not have been better, everyone had a fish!

We headed back to the Marina and secured the boat. After the truck was loaded up we headed off to weigh in my fish and see where LUCKY EAGLE was on the leader board. Hitting the scales at 39.5 pounds, I wasn’t in the prizes, but just glad to have a fish.

A real plus was being able to make a donation to the TLC Fund For the Kids, and Joanne would clean our fish. Kudos to her and the rest of the staff at Island Outfitters who worked tirelessly to clean and weigh everyone’s fish.

LUCKY EAGLE was still holding second place and we crossed our fingers as the clocked ticked by. The line up of vehicles weighing in fish added to the moment as we hoped LUCKY EAGLE would hold his ground and we would come home with the cash. Fortunately, he did, and came away with $2500 in cash and TEAM FAH-CUPS was celebrating.

Grabbing our fillets we headed back to my place to divvy up the fish and grab a few cold ones. (My poor wife).
In closing, and I apologize for the long winded tale, we all had a great weekend.

What a start to the fishing season. What was the highlight? Was it the over $800.00 a piece? Was it the approximately 176 Pounds of Halibut we caught? Was it the fact that each of us had caught a fish? Maybe. For sure, it was the time we spent together, the team work that paid off, and mostly just being together in the sun, laughing, living,telling tales, and taking in the scenery and beauty that is the straight of Juan de Fuca.
Cheers, I.I.

[im
IMG_2236.jpg
g][/img]

[i
IMG_2230.jpg
mg][/img]

<center></center>

Awesome guys, thanks for sharing!
Congrats on a great catch.
cheers

JUST FISHEN'

Congratulations Team Fah Cups. Great report II. Living the dream on the west coast that’s what life is all about. GLG:)

Back