Green Fishing -- saving on gas

S

Spring Drifter

With all the talk of greenhouse gas, I'm wondering if it's possible for sportsfishermen to cut back on pollution.
My 175 is a pig on gas but I can't afford a 4 stroke. Besides it would probably sink my transom.
I conservatively used about $35/day fishing off Port Renfrew in 2005.
Then, in 2006, disaster hit: my big motor packed it in. Waiting for a mechanic to look at it would take a chunk out of the season so I opted to use my 4 stroke kicker to get me out. It took about an hour but, hell, I'm past the stage of getting up at 4 am so it was time to "smell the roses". It was fantastic: no pounding into the rollers. Just a nice relaxing 6knots....
Anyone else got suggestions on "Green Fishing"?

Spring Drifter

Well, there is that guy I see in the Sooke area who trolls from his kayak. I've seen him out in some fairly big waves too. I don't know tho--having to sit in one position like that for hours--it hurts my back just thinking about it.
T2

i seen that kayak guy, he hit a couple nice fish one day, they pulled him all over the place, :D

We owned a 27 Catalina sailboat and would allways have a rod out when we sailed across the strait etc.Our best day was 15 coho and 1 spring sailing from Silva Bay to Ladner.The year was 1991.

quote:Originally posted by Spring Drifter

With all the talk of greenhouse gas, I'm wondering if it's possible for sportsfishermen to cut back on pollution.
My 175 is a pig on gas but I can't afford a 4 stroke. Besides it would probably sink my transom.
I conservatively used about $35/day fishing off Port Renfrew in 2005.
Then, in 2006, disaster hit: my big motor packed it in. Waiting for a mechanic to look at it would take a chunk out of the season so I opted to use my 4 stroke kicker to get me out. It took about an hour but, hell, I'm past the stage of getting up at 4 am so it was time to "smell the roses". It was fantastic: no pounding into the rollers. Just a nice relaxing 6knots....
Anyone else got suggestions on "Green Fishing"?

Spring Drifter

Back in the day, it was mooching with liveys!!!!!

That's green fishing...NO MOTOR..just you, the tide, the current, a couple of live herring with a 4 oz weight if that, and just sit back..and wait....NO MOTORS allowed! :) :)

There's green fishing..

Or then there's buzz bombing...find the bait..and POW!

Or how about casting with Coyote Spoons? Do that when the Coho are in thick...and you'll have one a cast!!!!!

I have a 1/2 ton pickup, a 9 foot camper, an 18 foot boat,a SUV and a fifth wheel all sitting in my driveways. I've had all of these toys for about ten years now. I've been a pig on gas!
Here is a hypothetical question (and it might apply partly or fully to you): In light of what's happening to our planet (green house gases) what can I do to contribute to lowering green house gases (given that I don't want to give my toys up)?

Spring Drifter

Guess I'm still relatively green.

12ft Aluminum, 4 horse Johnson and I usually just jig. Only run about 1/2 to a mile from launch point (family cabin) and I don't catch much anymore haha (used to though)

I've got a downrigger and I'm trying to find a good way to mount it to the boat (gonna get back into trolling more... that'll be a different thread). Keep looking at bigger boats, but I'm having a hard time with all the costs involved.

I think my next outboard will be a 4stroke, just not looking forward to carrying more weight down to the beach.

hey pablo,i mounted my downrigger to the side gunnel when i had a 12 ft, it depends on your rigger and what mounts u can get, mine was the older wire arm at the time(compared to the boom arm) got a older style rod holder mount that also holds a rigger mount and that was it, ?'s email me
doh

12 cylinders pushing 10,000 pounds of boat. at cruising speed I burn 10 gal. per hour.
The only thing green about my boating is the green leaving my wallet.
Of course it is made up for when on the hook in some isolated little bay for a couple of days with no engine running. Then we use the tender for fishing ,pulling traps etc. Its a 10' glass with a 4h.p. yammie.

Dohboy -

I have one of those Scotties with a clamp.... not the laketroller, but I think the model is 1150. Anyway, I have the option clamp mount (two clamps, but it keeps wanting to twist off of the boat. My cannonball may be a bit big for it. I was told by Berry's (where I bought it) that I should mount a long piece of wood on the side of the boat to reinforce it so it doesn't flex. Gonna try that.... and if that doesn't work, I'm going to try an homebrew a better mount.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Is that 10 Gal each or combined? If that is total, you are doing VERY well for a 10K boat! I burn 8-10 and I'm in a little 23 Hourston.
Thats total from both engines and cruising is about 17 knots.

I say the heck with going green,, keep burnin all that gas boy's,,, we boy's out here in Alberta still need more wells to drill :D :D :D

quote:Originally posted by The Jackel

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

Is that 10 Gal each or combined? If that is total, you are doing VERY well for a 10K boat! I burn 8-10 and I'm in a little 23 Hourston.
Ya but nobody puts the hammer down like you Kelly:D

The Hauler

That's cause I gotta get back to that little cleaning station we have out there before the "2:00 P.M. Gas'n'Guts" Jamboree starts LOL.

Back