Government of Canada to make important announcement Tomorrow

Sorry, but I'm growing less and less interested in much of anything in that blog. Its long on criticism and poison and short on ideas. Any idiot can predict rain when your standing in a rain storm...few people can find a way to stay dry.
Fair enough criticism re Hooton. But the Wild Salmon Policy addresses all the important issues, none of which are new or startling as they have all been addressed before and have solutions put forward by knowledgeable groups and organizations. This policy should be about implementation, not more study. The time for study is evaporating, it's time for action. It's a bit like the latest school bus issue 20 years ago there was a study, done in a certain way that says seat belts wont save childrens lives in an accident. Many years later a new study comes out saying that the old study didn't take all the factors into consideration, and buses should have seat belts. but that get's shelved and ignored instead of implemented. DFO is full of these kinds of examples, and it's time we call them out on it and start getting them implement new programs, instead of just cutting all the time.

He It is full of ideas you just don’t like them because his main idea is harvest reduction especially where stocks of concern are. He’s not just saying kill seals and up hatchery production.

A lot of his focus is on First Nations as well because wherw stocks of concern are they tend to be the only ones left fishing besides the interception that occurrs in the ocean. Stocks like the spring Fraser chinook that are now do for a Sara review are still getting netted every spring.

As for the wsp their is a reason it has not been implanted in the last 13 years and it’s the same reason why it’s going to be delayed for study into the further no harvest groups are going to support it going forward.

In a lot of cases it would mean a loss of income from all sectors, sports fishermen, First Nations and commercial fishermen.

It’s hard not to be poisonous when you see the same delay tactics come out of the government year after year.

Study, discuss, consult,research ect...

The wsp is the same it was 13 years ago create closure windows for red CU and promote rebuilding of thoes CU.

So the only thing left to implement is the closure part, geee I wonder why that haven’t happen

Harvesters don’t want a wsp they want a production policy. Pump out as much production from our strong stocks. Don’t give a **** about the week ones and find a way to get everyone Max’s profit.

And the few groups that want the wsp implanted don’t want to wait 20 years for some of thoes stocks to rebound while they sit though some tuff to swallow closure windows and watch harvestable large stocks pass by.

So as he says everyone wants to go to haven but no one wants to die.

Spot on wildmanyeah. Until all user groups agree to curtail harvest we will have declining stocks.

My issue with that blog is simply that it has become a negative rant, pointing fingers. Sure some of the issues need to be exposed, discussed etc. The tone is toxic. It would be refreshing to hear a different narrative that focuses more on how we can build cooperative partnerships to actually address those issues...couldn't agree more with StormTrooper on that. Once upon a time didn't think there was any point reaching out to the commercial sector for example because I didn't actually believe they would care about the same issues - recently having spent time in 3 separate meetings discussing how we might work together, I discovered that those beliefs were sadly wrong.

As for the province's recent foray into Salmon, I'm willing to give the Premier the time it will take to invest in actual strategies. I did attend the Minister's announcement, where Horgan also spoke of the province's commitment and he talked about brining $$ to the problem. His speech was impressive, and appeared heartfelt. That's the first I have heard that narrative from a BC Premier in a very long time - it was refreshing. Later in the day during a meeting with Fisheries Minister, he specifically mentioned one key role he as Fisheries Minister was looking the province to take on was to address habitat issues related to poor logging practice and poor water mgmt. Again, at a government to government level I'm starting to hear them talk independently about cooperation - something we haven't heard in a long time.

BTW the province is looking to make $ investments into both habitat and enhancement. The enhancement side will depend on DFO cooperation - they don't appear to be in a hurry to jump into hatchery production quickly.

Baby steps that hopefully lead to larger leaps.

He It is full of ideas you just don’t like them because his main idea is harvest reduction especially where stocks of concern are. He’s not just saying kill seals and up hatchery production.

A lot of his focus is on First Nations as well because wherw stocks of concern are they tend to be the only ones left fishing besides the interception that occurrs in the ocean. Stocks like the spring Fraser chinook that are now do for a Sara review are still getting netted every spring.

As for the wsp their is a reason it has not been implanted in the last 13 years and it’s the same reason why it’s going to be delayed for study into the further no harvest groups are going to support it going forward.

In a lot of cases it would mean a loss of income from all sectors, sports fishermen, First Nations and commercial fishermen.

It’s hard not to be poisonous when you see the same delay tactics come out of the government year after year.

Study, discuss, consult,research ect...

The wsp is the same it was 13 years ago create closure windows for red CU and promote rebuilding of thoes CU.

So the only thing left to implement is the closure part, geee I wonder why that haven’t happen

Harvesters don’t want a wsp they want a production policy. Pump out as much production from our strong stocks. Don’t give a **** about the week ones and find a way to get everyone Max’s profit.

And the few groups that want the wsp implanted don’t want to wait 20 years for some of thoes stocks to rebound while they sit though some tuff to swallow closure windows and watch harvestable large stocks pass by.

So as he says everyone wants to go to haven but no one wants to die.

You are correct on this.
No one wants to discuss this.
I note no one seems the least concerned that the Steelhead May be gone.
Sure worried they might be effected if they go to SARA.

searun we are blessed to have you in the meetings, your attitude is someone going into the meetings should have. Openness to all sectors is a must.

The only issue now is the ocean guys are going to have to deal what to do with the fraser river...For years it could be ignored but its **** is starting to flow out into the ocean.

Thanks, and yes the Fraser issues will spill out into the ocean areas and in fact have been for years. Just never gets talked about much. Many of the mgmt measures out in the ocean are directly related to managing Fraser stock issues. Case in point being Area 18/19 which have significant measures in place.

Back