GoPro-Advice

pescador

I received a new GoPro Hero 3+ camera for Christmas. Reading the manual and checking out Utube has given me some good insights in to how to set things up, but, being a neophyte I'm still a little perplexed at some of the settings and best way to manage the system. Given some of the great video footage we get on this site, and, with the advent of Youfish.TV, it would be great to hear from other members their experiences with GoPro. Useful tips, ideas, settings, and devices they've developed to protect the camera while filming in the depths. At this point I've got a lot questions like how long the battery works, should I buy a back up? What quality of image settings should I use? How many GB SD mini cards do you have as spares etc? How do I know the camera is pointed at the image I want to capture given the camera has no view finder. Any information would be helpful. I'm not planning to compete with National Geographic or better yet "Nice Fish". Just want to record memories with the guys and family.

There is a go pro forum. It might have some tips.

Cannibal Chris

The best advise I can give is to just play with it. Its the best way to learn a new toy. Batteries don't last long in cold water or weather. ( i hour ). Use 720 0r 1080, The larger # will look better on a large screen. The 720 will be as good as what you see when you watch broadcasted HD. get a 64 gig card class 10.Its worth it. Have fun learning

I picked up a hero 3 black edition early this summer, Awesome camera! nice clear pictures and video. I run my videos 48fps w/ wide angle for out on the boat, snowboarding and biking.. I made the mistake of using the wide angle while on couple hunting trips makes the deer/ elk look like its 100 yards away when it was only about 30-40yrds. Narrow view works best for that.
Get yourself a couple spare batteries and make sure on the first charge that they are fully charged before you take them off the charger, mine took couple hrs before they were done. They usually last a few hrs before I have to swap one out.
I found the gopro batteries last longer than the wasabi batteries but its not by much. heres a link for 2 wasabi batts with charge
http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-...qid=1388457843&sr=8-1&keywords=wasabi+charger

I got the battery backpack for mine, plan on try to do some time lapse footage soon.
Also I use the 64gb chip and have a 32gb for backup
One important thing you should get is the floaty back door, so you don't have to watch $400+ sink beside the boat lol.
The only way to view what your shooting is with the LCD backpack screen usually find those for around $70, theres also a touch screen one id recommend going with that one a lot less hassle. When your using the wide angle with video you don't have to worry as much about how accurate your pointing the camera you would be surprised how wide of an angle it shoots
For mounts I use the jaw flex clamp, chest mount and pole mount for on the boat and underwater shots (ski pole works great for that)

The clip on polarized lens works great for out on the water, huge difference from the glare without using it.
If your brave enough to hook it up to your rigger, which I haven't done yet, ill save that for the summer when im fishing shallow. The red filter should be used when your filming down deep anything over 20-30ft makes a big difference in clarity and colours.
Hope that helps to get you started pescador.
Heres a couple videos I took this summer/fall diving, make sure you watch them in 1080p for the clearest picture.
Might take a sec for it to load into HD
[j8UrKXVjNsM] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8UrKXVjNsM

Here is a Go Pro underwater camera torpedo that i made for trolling on the downrigger. The tube is filling with expanding foam and water sealed. If something goes wrong the go pro will float back to the top of the water saving you $300-400. :) You just clip it to your downrigger line not your cannonball/ snubber!!!! Let the show begin.

Attachments

• IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 632
  • IMAG0120.jpg
    IMAG0120.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 549
  • IMAG0119.jpg
    IMAG0119.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 531
  • IMAG0118.jpg
    IMAG0118.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 563
If you have a 12V Auxiliary outlet on your boat, consider getting a charging adaptor with a USB port so you can charge your batteries while you're on the water.

Hey Fish Rider ..... Love that torpedo dude !

The best way to see what you are filming, on your boat (I find) is WI-FI to your cell phone , a LCD pack is ok if your holding your camera but isn't much help if your camera is 7 feet above you on your arch or in the water. Also the LCD sucks up a lot of power as well. I have at least 3 batteries charged and one batter bacpac when out fishing for the day.... they eat up the juice fast. Also make sure you have lots of SD cards available , like two or three 32 s should work LOL or a 64 and a 32 (10's).
Its a great toy but you have to do a lot of playing around with it and then it does become less confusing. I use it attached to a cannon ball, attached to a ABS mount I developed which turns 360 degrees under water, attached to my arch, attached to mountings on the stern and helm of my Striper, on my head with the head band ... you get the idea, its a blast ... have fun and lets see some of your GOPRO ART !!!
Clint
PS Im still working on the Vids from the Camera , hope some day to get them out lol

Fishrider, love the tube. Although it scares me the idea of hooking the torpedo to the downrigger line, I just may have to give that a try. Coop, thanks for your input. Sounds like an extra battery may be in order as well as the 64GB sd card and maybe a couple of extras. Liquid, tons of great tricks and obviously you've been experimenting plenty and your ideas are helpful. One question though, when you use a pole to film underwater, is the camera upside down on the pole? If so, what's the process to reverse that effect when you download the video? Survivor, thanks for your input as well. Think I've got plenty now to get me going. Better pull out another $500 though because it sounds like I need to buy some redundancy and add on's.

I purchased this unit. much like fish riders setup. I made some modifications to have the Downrigger release clip run just under the unit as well as an extra safety clip. I never run it deeper than fifty feet and always way up from the ball. It is attached to my second rod stacked above my deepest rod. I use a red filter to cut out the green. Have had some great results,go pro underwater housing.jpg

Im likin the pvc tube you made their Fishrider, How long of a leader did you use from the clip to the tube?

For filming with the camera upside down you need to go to through your menu til you see "capture settings" its the first one saying "UP" with 2 arrows.
Enter that and chose the bottom one. If it works the main screen menu will be upside down. After you upload it onto the computer it'll show the video as usual right side up. One of the pole mounts is made so you don't have to film upside down.
A tip for getting rid of water spots on your lens when filming on the boat is just check it often and wipe the housing lens with your finger, nothing worse than filming or taking a picture and there's a blur of water in the middle of the lens.

i hope your new cam has the flat plastic in front of lens?
and not the older go-pro style with the cone shape?
the cone shape distorts under water and was a real problem....

You may want to consider setting up a pole cam. The one I use has a telaflex end which can be bent in any direction even pointing back down the pole which is useful for shooting the boat from the outside. Wrap the handle with some foam so that it can fit snugly into any rod holder around the boat. This gives you many many options of shooting angles while fishing. I also don't use gopro cameras. I use Drift. The one primary advantage of this camera is the front lens rotates to that no mater how the camera sits you can always turn the front lens to make the image/camera level. A very nice feature for filming off of poles and the dive housing were priced very well. http://driftinnovation.com/drift-ghost-s/

Giving this thread a bump... Any new advice? Mounting tips? Mods you've created for your Gopro?

I'm just beginning to play with mine and have lots to learn. For anyone that uses a body mount to film themselves flyfish, what has worked best for you?

I got a chance to use mine quite a bit this summer. What I noticed is if you're using the blue tooth feature on the remote it sucks power and you've gotta replace battery every couple of hours. Must be a stand by mode, but, haven't figured that one out yet. My lesson this year was have lots of extra batteries for back up.

image.jpg

Pretty budget,have to make sure the braid is retied before every day out.probably a good idea anyway.
[c1eL3SY7OlE] http://youtu.be/c1eL3SY7OlE

Back