goodyear

alumaman

Anyone know about goodyear silent armor tires? I am looking at a set for my gmc 2500hd diesel, the michelins didn't last very long.

I put them on my 1999 F150 4x2 in 2008, before I bought my new boat. They are a good tire--I did notice better traction when hauling out at the ramp, and they are rated for severe snow service (mountain/snow flake)--I don't put a lot of miles on them, but they seem to be lasting better than my old Wranglers.

Anyone know about goodyear silent armor tires? I am looking at a set for my gmc 2500hd diesel, the michelins didn't last very long.
Goodyear is rated in the top five tire manufacters!

When it comes to wanting tires to last longer… It is and all about the rubber in the tire. The softer the rubber, faster the tire wears. Michelin and Goodyear are both ranked up there in that top five tire manufacturers, along with Pirelli. While all can (and do) use soft rubber in some of their tires, both Michelin and Pirelli are famous for producing a quality tire made from soft rubber, which will produce quieter and softer ride – both will normally wear faster.

Along with everything else, I highly suggest looking at/for that “road noise”! I actually quit looking at who the manufacturer is in favor of looking at the individual tire itself and I personally really hate road noise. Might even want to consider Toyo and/or Yokohama - both are good? Give these a read:
http://toyotires.com/about-us/number-one-brand
http://www.tirereview.com/article/7..._old_winter_tire_standards_need_updating.aspx

The best (and not only thing) when looking for longer wearing tires is look for the ‘Treadwear Rating’ on the tire itself. “Treads are often designed to meet specific product marketing positions. High performance tires have small void ratios to provide more rubber in contact with the road for higher traction, but may be compounded with softer rubber that provides better traction, but wears quickly. Mud and snow (M&S) tires are designed with higher void ratios to channel away rain and mud, while providing better gripping performance. Specialized tires will always work better than general/all purpose/all weather tires when being used in the conditions the specialized tires are designed for.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire

Uniform Tire Quality Grading System (UTQGS)
To help consumers compare a passenger car tire's treadwear rate, traction performance, and temperature resistance, the federal government requires tire manufacturers to grade tires in these three areas. This grading system, known as the Uniform Tire Quality Grading System, provides guidelines for making relative comparisons when purchasing new tires. You also can use this information to inquire about the quality of tires placed on new vehicles.

Although this rating system is very helpful when buying new tires, it is not a safety rating or guarantee of how well a tire will perform or how long it will last. Other factors such as personal driving style, type of car, quality of the roads, and tire maintenance habits have a significant influence on your tire's performance and longevity.
Treadwear grades are an indication of a tire's relative wear rate. The higher the treadwear number is, the longer it should take for the tread to wear down. For example, a tire grade of 400 should wear twice as long as a tire grade of 200.

Traction grades are an indication of a tire's ability to stop on wet pavement. A higher graded tire should allow you to stop your car on wet roads in a shorter distance than a tire with a lower grade. Traction is graded from highest to lowest as "AA", "A", "B", and "C".
Temperature grades are an indication of a tire's resistance to heat. Sustained high temperature (for example, driving long distances in hot weather), can cause a tire to deteriorate, leading to blowouts and tread separation. From highest to lowest, a tire's resistance to heat is graded as "A", "B", or "C".

UTQGS Information
Treadwear Number
This number indicates the tire's wear rate. The higher the treadwear number is, the longer it should take for the tread to wear down. For example, a tire graded 400 should last twice as long as a tire graded 200.

Traction Letter
This letter indicates a tire's ability to stop on wet pavement. A higher graded tire should allow you to stop your car on wet roads in a shorter distance than a tire with a lower grade. Traction is graded from highest to lowest as "AA","A", "B", and "C".

Temperature Letter
This letter indicates a tire's resistance to heat. The temperature grade is for a tire that is inflated properly and not overloaded. Excessive speed, underinflation or excessive loading, either separately or in combination, can cause heat build-up and possible tire failure. From highest to lowest, a tire's resistance to heat is graded as "A", "B", or "C".
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/TireSafety/ridesonit/brochure.html

Again, which ever tire you buy watchout for that "road noise"! Here is a good explanation:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101111022701AAVtOAh

RUN away from those tires. Goodyear had a major recall them in March of this year. I have a set on my wife's Mitsubishi and they are wearing incredibly fast. If you think the Michelins were bad, buy some Goodyears.............Do youself a favor and look at some 10ply Bridgestones......

I agree with 54 good year are crap i have 2500 diesel aswell front heavy hard on tires forsure. I've had all the above tires and i am real happy with big o bigfoot xt. great wieght rating, good all round traction road noise minimal and life time warranty on any punctures. My buddy has 35k on has 15k of tread left

Back