Good luck Alex Morton! Please highlight the TRUTH!

stones93

VANCOUVER - One of British Columbia's most vocal advocates for the preservation of wild salmon says she's not waiting to find out from a government inquiry why the Fraser River sockeye run crashed in 2009.

Just hours after the Cohen Commission announced Tuesday it had received yet another extension to submit its written findings, Alexandra Morton said she has already set up her own volunteer group to test and monitor wild salmon along the coast.

Morton has dubbed it the Department of Wild Salmon, a private sector organization.

"I'm not going to waste my time and energy praying and hoping and begging Mr. DFO (Department of Fisheries and Oceans) to do something right," she said.

"It's never going to happen. DFO is downsizing and my thought is: 'Right on. Bye, bye. Step out of the way. Step away from the fish. We can deal with this.'"

Morton said she made her decision while reading through commission documents and over issues like the importation of salmon eggs, and also because she said she's not allowed to present fish samples to DFO for testing.

She said her organization includes First Nations, fisheries managers, stream keepers and commercial fishermen, said Morton. They will be taught how to take biological samples from salmon so they can be tested for diseases.

Eventually, she hopes to have her own lab, which Morton estimated would cost as much as $20 million over 10 years.

"What I see in DFO is a lot of really wonderful people who would like to do the right thing, but they can't," she said.

Last June, three scientists from Simon Fraser University in Burnaby, B.C., published a letter in the journal, "Science," that was critical of cutbacks at eco-toxicology labs and an aquatic research facility run by the federal government.

One estimate pegged the cuts to as much as $79.3 million over the next three years.

The Commission of Inquiry into the Decline of Sockeye Salmon in the Fraser River was formed by the federal government in November 2009 to investigate and report on the reasons for the fish's decline.

That previous summer, about 10 million fish were expected to return to B.C.'s rivers and streams, but only one million actually showed up.

Justice Bruce Cohen, who was appointed to lead the inquiry, was asked to make recommendations for improving the fishery's sustainability.

At the time, the federal government set a May 1, 2011 deadline for Cohen to submit his final report.

The inquiry began in August 2010 and ended in December 2011. It heard from 160 witnesses and compiled 14,000 pages of transcripts and 2,100 exhibits.

Deadlines were extended to June 30, 2012, then Sept. 30, 2012, and on Tuesday, the commission announced it had been given another extension until Oct. 29, 2010.

Cohen's report must also be submitted in both official languages.

"Given the length and complexity of his report, the commissioner requested the extension to complete the writing, translation, and production of the report," stated a posting on the inquiry's website.

Despite Morton's skepticism, others remain confident something good will come out of the inquiry.

Bob Jackson is the regional executive vice-president for the Public Service Alliance of Canada, which represents Fisheries workers and made submissions at the inquiry. Jackson said his organization is confident the inquiry needs the extra time to do its work.

"It's a very complex process. Many, many many pages of documents," he said.

Jackson said he welcomes the report and hopes Cohen will recommend more funding for DFO.

"It's quite obvious, DFO needs more funding. I mean, salmon in B.C., as you're probably aware, are probably the most iconic symbols."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/me...inquiry+into/7299002/story.html#ixzz27aSRgh00

Agree X10 Lorne.

Curious about this sentence in the original article

"Despite Morton's skepticism, others remain confident something good will come out of the inquiry."

Morton was rightly expressing extreme scepticism of the DFO, not of the Cohen Commission. I too am hopeful some good will come out of the report. It is even possible that it will recommend more funding for fish habitat protection or even the splitting up of the DFO because of the schizophrenic role they play now, ostensibly protecting the wild salmon but promoting fish feed lots at the same time.

Of course, the government could still do nothing, and let the report moulder on the shelf; but then that comes back to us, the electorate, to make the good stuff we see in the report an electoral issue!!:mad:

Myself and many others think it is high time that the rec. sector starts to do some focussed political lobbying at the local and grassroots level to start to fight fire with fire and start to make some very needed changes with our Prov. and Fed. Govts. re. management of salmon. Please stay tuned for further developments on this....!!!

Roland: You have to remember that Alex - like many of us - has been around long enough to witness such catastrophes & hypocrisies such as The Legatt Inquiry Into Salmon Farming which, as we can all see by the explosive growth of the industry - fell on dysfunctional deaf-ears both in Victoria & Ottawa.

I'm not holding my breath on Cohen's report either; it's more like wishful thinking.

Roland: You have to remember that Alex - like many of us - has been around long enough to witness such catastrophes & hypocrisies such as The Legatt Inquiry Into Salmon Farming which, as we can all see by the explosive growth of the industry - fell on dysfunctional deaf-ears both in Victoria & Ottawa.

I'm not holding my breath on Cohen's report either; it's more like wishful thinking.

I would have to agree! You guys are dealing with a VERY DANGEROUS individual, who knows EXACTLY how to maintain control and that does mean control of YOU!!!

It seems he has something in common with another I know... HITLER! Someone who starts to get to many others in your Parliament disagreeing with him, his answer seems simple... just shut the parliament down!

A prorogation of parliament took place on December 4, 2008, when Prime Minister Stephen Harper recommended Governor General Michaëlle Jean to do so after two opposition parties formed a coalition with the support of a third party and threatened to vote non-confidence in the sitting minority government, precipitating a parliamentary dispute. The Governor General, however, did not grant her prime minister's request until after two hours of consultation with various constitutional experts. Upon the end of her tenure as vicereine, Jean revealed to the Canadian Press that the delay was partly to "send a message—and for people to understand that this warranted reflection."[SUP][5][/SUP][SUP][6][/SUP] It was also at the same time said by Peter H. Russell, one of those from whom Jean sought advice, that Canadians ought not regard the Governor General's decision to grant Harper's request as an automatic rubber stamp; Russell disclosed that Jean granted the prorogation on two conditions: parliament would reconvene soon and, when it did, the Cabinet would produce a passable budget. This, Russell said, set a precedent that would prevent future prime ministers from advising the prorogation of parliament "for any length of time for any reason."[SUP][7][/SUP][SUP][8][/SUP] Nelson Wiseman, a political science professor at the University of Toronto, wrote of Harper that "no Prime Minister has so abused the power to prorogue."

Harper again advised the Governor General to prorogue parliament on December 30, 2009. The Prime Minister stated that this was to keep parliament in recess for the duration of the XXI Olympic Winter Games to be held in Vancouver, British Columbia, in February, 2010. The move, however, was suspected by opposition Members of Parliament to be a way for Harper to avoid ongoing investigations into the Afghan detainees affair.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prorogation_in_Canada

I agree with you Charlie.

The way Harper has gutted our environmental standards and thumbed his nose at our democratic processes geting in the way of his agenda has made my mind up that this is the worst Prime Minister by far in the history of Canadian politics. He stated, "we will not recognize Canada when he is done" and I have no doubt about it. The thing is, I kinda liked Canada the way it was.

Now Charlie, maybe you can do me a favour and send an email to some of the people on your side of the border who named this guy "World Statesman of the Year".
I wonder what he did for their interests? http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/09/27/pol-parry-harper-award.html

Back