Glow coated cannon balls

Tips Up

Got a couple of these recently and although they look real cool, I have a few hesitations.
I have always used bare lead in the past.
I used one for the first time the other day after losing a bare cannon ball on one side. I did not catch a spring on that side the rest of the day and seamed to get less action for pinks and hos also.

Can these bright balls spook the fish?
Can the coated balls change the electrical balance on your rigger line?

Any feedback from others using them would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Tips

I've got some and haven't gotten confidence in them yet. I started fishing 2 riggers with 3 lines. 1 bare lead and two lines stacked off the coated side.

I think all my fish came off either the bare lead or the 3rd rod stacked 40ft above the glow ball.

Why would a glow ball spooke fish but not a flasher though. Doesn't make sense to me but for now I'm back to bare lead on both sides its what I've got confidence in and it's been working. Ill give the coated balls another try sometime I did use them when fishing was slower but they certsinly didnt improve anything for me.

Not to say they don't work - just haven't worked for me yet.

Had I of had bad results they would have been off my boat so quickly.... But as many of you know and personally seen by filling empty seats on my boat, fish are not spooked by these balls. I run my gear 6-8 back from my glow balls and have had no problem catching springs, coho, ling, yellow eye and pinks so far this year.

I have just switched from bare lead to the coated green glow balls on both sides. I am catching just as many fish as before. I do run my flashers about 30 to 40 feet back.

I doubt they make any difference whatsoever......

If you're running glow bait and glow flasher you've already got glow where it counts.

Maybe they might help if they are the only glow component down there (if your flasher and /or lure wasn't glow)

If you're running wire then Scotty recommends a coated ball.

I run bare lead/braid..... and when the bite's on...it's on.

Been running green glow coated cannon balls for the last 2 seasons - I think I am having better results trolling the bottom for hali's, and the salmon don't appear to mind either.

All of this is obviously completely non scientific, and probably biased by the fact that I like the way they look! ;)

Though I should update this post...

I now have full confidence in the glow coated balls. I don't think they attract fish but now don't believe they spook them either.

Although I do think the glow hali balls do attract.

The first day out was coincidence that the side with the glow coated was dead. Since then equal fish on each side and lots of them.

The shape of the balls I picked up from CCB is great. They are not round so they cut through the water nicely. But they are not pancake weights which I hate because the current gets a hold of them.

These are well finished balls with great quality wire loops on them.
I would recommend them.

Tips

Last edited by a moderator:
I use coated balls, glow on both sides and just came back from two seperate trips to bamfield and renfrew with full limits, 4 guys on one trip and three on the other. I'm a believer, plus i like em when the odd time they bounce off my gelcoat, adds a little protection. Rich does a great job with them and has mastered the painting application. I wouldn't go back to bare.

I use coated balls, glow on both sides and just came back from two seperate trips to bamfield and renfrew with full limits, 4 guys on one trip and three on the other. I'm a believer, plus i like em when the odd time they bounce off my gelcoat, adds a little protection. Rich does a great job with them and has mastered the painting application. I wouldn't go back to bare.

My balls are not to be confused with anybody else's they are coated in a different application then the other guys I have no relations with anybody selling balls or coating balls . If you didn't get my balls from me or FA , Steveston Marine , Harbour Chandler or Highwater tackle there not my balls. I've heard numerous complaints of other made coated cannon balls.

Running any coated ball is better then not coated though

Tony aka CCB

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not comfortable talking about Tony's balls any more so from here on in I will refer to them as Downrigger Balls.

Tony had great quality Downrigger balls. These are the ones I have referered to above.

Tips

Back