Getting nervous for Saturdays coho clip at Jack Brooks - any new interest?

good times! nice to meet everyone, sorry I didnt get to put a name to a face with every one but i wasnt standing still long enough. Your list should be good of everyone shows up tomorrow. Mabey someone else knows how many are left but I know we stopped a bit early so wed leave some for the rest of ya! I think we clipped over 22,000, yup two twos and three zeros! thankyou to all the regular guys and gals who volunteer out there the rest of year!

ps I was surprised at all the runners, wear your boots and unless you like wet socks!

Good times had by all. Lots of fish clipped. Get out there on sunday if you can it is a geat day for kids as well. thanks to all who put so much effort into the program all year long Hats off to you guys and gals for sure.

Good times had by all. Lots of fish clipped. Get out there on sunday if you can it is a geat day for kids as well. thanks to all who put so much effort into the program all year long Hats off to you guys and gals for sure.

Hey Guys: great fun today - the kids (of all ages) were delightful! Nice to meet all of you. I'll start saving up more (better) newf jokes for next year; lol !!! Thanks to all the organizers and the bar-bee-que guru - v. yummy! But I'll be dreaming of all the grown-up coho to come.

BTW: I heard that in St. John's
- a Newfie never needs a GPS - he just looks out the kitchen window. If he sees an iceberg he knows he's home again.

- the day salmon fishing season starts is a national holiday - between when the last iceberg of Spring drifts out of St. John's harbour and just before the first one of the Fall drifts in.

- there are only two seasons: Hunting and Fishing

- therefore twice a year the kitchen is cleaned up - with the changeover from fish-packing to moose-meat processing.

- that if you run out of kerosene, Screetch will keep the lamps burning.

- therefore many Newfies are admitted to the ER for 3rd degree burns to their lips. Not as many though, as admissions from raking leaves (falls from the trees. yuck-yuck.)

- barbecues are cleaned only to keep the bears off the "sun" decks.

- after the barbecue, guests are entertained by shot-gunning the mosquitoes!

- when a Newf's wife asks, after the barbecue "Did ya clean-up the condiments, Dear?"; he heads straight to the washhouse and rinses out the condoms.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to meet everyone. It was also good to introduce myself the my future dinner.LOL. Thanks for organizing everyone Deewar. Let me know when you need more labour at the hatchery.

yw nauti - thx for offering up both days - was very helpful and like you said, introducing yourself to future dinner is a nice concept! As for labour, they can always use ongoing volunteers and often have work parties. You can watch updates on their website. http://www.sookesalmonenhancementsociety.com/

I enjoyed the broodstock collection as well in the fall, but missed last year as there was little notice - I'll shoot for it again.

Nice to meet everyone. It was also good to introduce myself the my future dinner.LOL. Thanks for organizing everyone Deewar. Let me know when you need more labour at the hatchery.

It was good to meet you too NG. I also dropped the invite for all fry to join me for a bbq at mine.

I'm looking forward to the broodstock collection in fall. I've got full wetsuit and booties so I can get right in there and help work the nets, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
omg nautigirl!! Your not a girl!? ahhhhhh lol im so disappointed hahaha I saw that you were coming on saterday and I was looking forward to meeting you which I sort of must have done. I asked newfies wife if she was nautigirl the only other girl there and thought you just didnt make it when she said no. Do you know Ive been asked twice when ive been out fishing wether im you! lol haha this is so funny here i am thinkin gd this is one tough chick rockin a 16ft tinny solo at constance etc. Ok I dont feel like such a wuss now for wanting to be out there so bad but not brave enough to do that in mine. You still are brave dont get me wrong haha ahh i bet so many guys will be dissapointed lol

I did learn something yesterday..... Nautigirl.... is not a girl

yw nauti - thx for offering up both days - was very helpful and like you said, introducing yourself to future dinner is a nice concept! As for labour, they can always use ongoing volunteers and often have work parties. You can watch updates on their website. http://www.sookesalmonenhancementsociety.com/

I enjoyed the broodstock collection as well in the fall, but missed last year as there was little notice - I'll shoot for it again.

Hey Deewar can you let us know what the final total was for the weekend, I'm curious. Please keep me on the volunteer list. Really enjoyed meeting folks and helping out on Saturday and want to help out again in the future. thanks. Feels good to give a little something back.

For those looking for a woman on the weekend.....I was the guy with the red hat ....and wet running shoes

Hey Deewar can you let us know what the final total was for the weekend, I'm curious. Please keep me on the volunteer list. Really enjoyed meeting folks and helping out on Saturday and want to help out again in the future. thanks. Feels good to give a little something back.
lol @ nautigirl....final tally for the weekend was 36,000 (thinking the original estimate went awry during shocking phase perhaps). He said if you want to get on volunteer list, just send email directly (melanjudy@shaw.ca) and if you want to get a little more involved than once or twice a year, perhaps join the society (so you are under their insurance umbrella) - it is just $10/year and doesn't actually require you to do anything!
http://www.sookesalmonenhancementsociety.com/members.html

Hope that helps!

A couple more pics I finally got around to sorting....

IMG_3216.jpg

They are easier to grab when they're drunk

IMG_3233.jpg

This one didn't like me for some reason

IMG_3212.jpg

This rather large one liked everyone

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

Lunch time Photobomb....

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg