Fuel Stabilizer

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Was at the shop supply store the other day and came accross Racor Parker Gasoline Conditioner Plus+

It was highly reccomended as I was about to buy 2 smaller bottles of another brand to pour in my tanks.

4687.JPG

$11 and change..And it treats 320 Gallons of fuel per bottle. I am amazed by the price and how much fuel it treats.

1oz treats 20 gallons of fuel. Which is great for me as my boats fuel tank is 20 gallons.

I have put in in my chain saw, weed wacker, snow blow and boat motors and still have a ton left. Almost a full container.

This is what they say about their product...

Gasoline Conditioner Plus+
Racor Gasoline Conditioner Plus+ is a diluted multifunctional gasoline additive which cleans as it protects. Racor Gasoline Conditioner Plus+ is designed for secondary treatment applications. It can be used with all types of internal combustion systems and gasoline blends. By cleaning the engine's fuel injectors and carburetor, it provides better combustion, better fuel economy and lower exhaust emissions.

Racor Gasoline Conditioner Plus+ improves port fuel injector detergency. Fuel is well atomized to deliver peak performance and complete combustion, resulting in optimum engine emissions. Air and fuel must be measured with great accuracy. Operating temperatures as high as 230° F (110° C) create different deposits than those found in carburetors. High diolefin and olefin fuels create the most deposits, and result in significant reduction in performance and increased emissions.

Racor Gasoline Conditioner Plus+ also improves intake valve detergency. Small amounts of deposits on valves can alter the air-to-fuel ratio when an engine is cold. Operating temperatures range from 356° F to 482° F (180° C to 250° C). Heavy olefins and aromatics, as well as polars (N,S,O), increase deposits.

Some detergents that clean injectors leave valves dirty and other detergents that clean valves to a poor job on injectors - Racor Gasoline Conditioner Plus+ cleans both.

Cleans the fuel delivery and the intake system, providing improved fuel economy and reduced emissions

Protects intake system against corrosion

Use with leaded or unleaded gasoline and gasohol in two and four cycle engines

Prevents accumulation of deposits

Improves efficiency of fuel filter/water separators through demulsification

Compatible with terminal and mobile fuel systems

Will not harm lube oil or catalytic converters

Stabilizes quality of stored gasoline

Alcohol free

Rick at Lordco pushed me towards it. I now have a life time supply. So if any of you locals want an once or two let me know.

That is an excellent price and a well known company. Does it say how long it will stabilize gas for?? It sure is a lot cheaper than Sta-bil

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

The blue Sta-Bil is supposed to be a stabilizer and ethanol treatment at the same time, which I'd think is important - unless you are using gasoline that does not have the ethanol it it.

But that has become increasingly hard to find, even at the fuel docks I get vague answers when I ask if the fuel is ethanol free.

Sounds more like a cleaner than a stabilizer. Sorry did not read last line. I will have to look into it.

quote:Originally posted by casper5280

I will have to look into it.

Let us know what you find, I am just going by word of mouth and a very good name in fuel systems.

I will call later this week to a friend of mine that works for Racor Parker. In fact I will try to email him tonight.

Cheers,

quote:Originally posted by Sculpin

Anyone use this stuff?

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products.html

"I'm not talkin bout pleasure boatin or day sailin......I'm talkin bout workin for a livin"- Captain Quint

Nope, but if you read their site you need a 1-2oz for every gallon of fuel. It's no wonder that they sell it by the drum.:)

Recommended Average Mixture

Normal gasoline grades (including 10% and 15% ethanol blends)
1 oz. Sea Foam Motor Treatment per gallon of gasoline
Can mix up to 2 oz. per gallon of gasoline if necessary. Mixing at less than 2/3 oz. per gallon will impair the effectiveness of Sea Foam.

2-cycle, gas/oil mixed fuel engines
2 oz. Sea Foam Motor Treatment per gallon of gasoline

When it comes to fuel stabilizers and additives – most are usually not even needed. Do I use and recommend them? Yes, I do… when needed! And, if you are running diesel fuel the need is greater than gas. Things do actually grow in diesel and that can get real ugly – fast!

I don’t know if you are thinking or talking about Ethanol blended gasolines or not, really doesn’t make any difference as all gasoline can stale. If you are speaking Ethanol, it is itself a very strong solvent and cleanser, so any use of additional additives to clean anything using E10 is really, usually unnecessary. You do want to AVOID all Gas Additives & Fuel System Treatment Products that contain alcohol and/or attract or absorb water with E10 gasoline. And, NEVER-NEVER mix non-Ethanol and Ethanol blended gasoline!!!!!

Racor and Stabil are both fine “stabilizers” to use; however, Seafoam Motor Treatment contains Pale Oil, Naphtha, "IPA" Isopropyl Alcohol. I wouldn’t be using that with any Ethanol blended gasoline. And, I wouldn’t be using any of them for anything, other than a stabilizer, or maybe if needed, an octane booster? I personally would never be using as an engine cleaner or trying to increase fuel economy – at least in the U.S.! You might find the following of interest?

Does gas have an expiration date?
In general, gasoline should be used within a month of purchase. When the engine will not be used for an extended period of time, it’s best to drain the fuel tank and then run the engine until it stalls. If you choose to store gasoline, keep it in a very nearly full, tightly sealed metal container in a cool environment. Be sure to leave some room in the container to allow for some expansion. Under these conditions, the gasoline can be expected to remain of good quality for at least six months.

Do your gasolines contain detergents?
All our gasolines contain effective detergent additives. While the EPA has required all gasolines marketed in the United States to contain detergents since 1995, our gasolines contain significantly more than the minimum quantities required to provide additional protection against fuel system deposits.

Does gasoline really need detergents?
Yes! Detergents are added to gasoline to help keep vital engine parts clean, including the carburetor or fuel injectors, intake valves and intake port areas. A gasoline detergent is a lot like a household detergent, helping to prevent any harmful deposit buildup.

Gasoline detergents can do such a great job at keeping critical engine components clean that the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), through the Clean Air Act, has required them to be added to all gasolines since 1995.
http://exxon.com/USA-English/GFM/fuels_quality_gas_faq.aspx

So, the best way to store gasoline is using containers or systems with tight caps. The type of container (metal, plastic, fiberglass) doesn't seem to matter as long as you make sure a fiberglass is designed for use with alcohol based fuels (ethanol). Then keep the container (tanks) near full so that there's as little air in the container as possible to help eliminate condensation (e.g phase separation). Also, reduce or eliminate temperature swings if possible. And, adding a stabilizer such as Stabil to your gasoline does offer aging protection; however, I don’t think I will be buying the marine grade… remember those companies are in business to make money and sell us their products. Do you really think, “DOUBLE the corrosion preventers and more than FOUR TIMES the fuel system cleaner than in Regular STA-BIL to prevent against corrosion and deposit build up in Marine Engines” really makes a difference now that you know ALL gasolines here in the U.S. already have the needed detergents?

I don't know, you might want to check Canada requirements?

quote:Originally posted by fishassassin123

quote:Originally posted by casper5280

I will have to look into it.

Let us know what you find, I am just going by word of mouth and a very good name in fuel systems.

I will call later this week to a friend of mine that works for Racor Parker. In fact I will try to email him tonight.

Cheers,

Just got off the phone with Racor Parker. In Clevland Ohio. Dam if they din't ask me about the weather in BC.. So I asked them about the Drew Carey Show...:)

Their anwser was that:

One treatment lasts 6 months.

I put it in every fuel tank I own. But as for the boat I am not sure why I put it in as I do not winterize my boat. I use my boat year round year round. Can't hurt adding it though as it does more then just stabilize...

I use seafoam in my motorcycle and it has made a difference in the performance. I add an ounce or two when I buy gas that sits for a while, and I never have any problems with stale gas. Not sure why price is such a concern when you consider fuel costs and maintenance. Wow I am going to save $10. Lets face it $10 is cheap insurance....... FA you spend more then that on tire tread wear.......

That may be true when you stabilize a gallon or two for a bike but stabilizing 136 gals of boat gas is different and in boat operating every little bit you can legitimately save helps in this day of high fuel costs

th_fishing2006026.jpg
"So many fish-So little Time"

Benn using this stuff over 10 yrs now and seems to work great put it in the boat,quad,chainsaw and generator gas and everything works great season after season no skunk gas.
trotac in Vic has it as well.

Good luck wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

My tank is always kept full all winter and the regular stabilizer added. I dump in one container which treats 300 litres. I also start both main and kicker every 2 weeks to keep oil on the cylinders and the bearings. I also do this so that if there is a problem I find out about it now, not in the spring when the to do list is already long enough.

Ethanol fuel blends can eat older boat components and can be a significant water collector. Older boats(like mine) are definitely vulnerable. Having had issues with this I now add marine fuel stabilizer with every fuelling. I have not had further problems and feel that this stuff is cheap insurance.

Too much water, too little time

I was told that the marked fuel from Victoria Co-ops contain no ethanol..I bought a membership and have used their marked fuel since last year. Started looking around after Victoria Shell stations dropped marked fuels.

Again keep in mind, those companies are in business to make money and sell you their products! The following just might surprise some?

As previously stated, I do not have a need for a stabilizer MOST of the time, however, when I do – I read the ingredients and know what and why I am buying it… and why I am using it! If you are not going to use your boat (or any engine gasoline/diesel powered) for a period of time, I would highly recommend a fuel stabilizer of some sort be used; however, read the ingredients and KNOW what you are putting into those tanks… and WHY! If you are putting an additive in ‘regular’ gasoline to increase octane levels or add a cleaner, you might be accomplishing something. If you are adding these additives in ‘Ethanol blended gasoline’, you are probably not accomplishing much of anything and might be creating more of a problem? Stabilizers for fuel that is going to set for a few months, or as an octane booster is a good thing, if needed; however, NONE OF THEM WILL PREVENT PHASE SEPARATION IN ETHANOL BLENDED GASOLINE, PERIOD! If such an additive existed, it would already be in Ethanol gasoline when produced. With that said, there are products that will add stabilization to Ethanol gasoline and slow that phase separation process, so they state. Those products ALL have nothing more than Diesel fuel, Naphtha, and Kerosene in them as their primary ingredient! For what it is worth… The easy way to get a glimpse at a product's contents is to check out its MSDS.

Starting with Racor Gasoline Conditioner Plus as this is what the thread is/was about and is just as good as or better than most of the rest?
INGREDIENTS:
Aromatic Solvent, chemical name is Solvent naphtha, light aromatic, PPM None Established
Xylene, chemical name is Mixed Xylenes, 100 ppm
Petroleum Hydrocarbon, chemical name is Aliphatic Petroleum Distillates, PPM None Established
Pseudocumene, chemical name is 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene, 25 ppm
Contains no other ingredients now known to be hazardous as defined by OSHA 29CFR 1910.1000(z) and 29CFR 1910.1200.
http://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/MSDS_Gasoline_Conditioner_Plus_ADT5116_ADT5555.pdf

Now, if you are using Sea Foam, that one is very easy and if you really want to use it there really isn’t any secrets there. The ingredients are basically 4 parts Pale Oil (diesel fuel); 2 parts naphtha (Klean Strip, Home Depot); and 1 part IPA isopropyl (ALCOHOL and I personally would use ‘HEET’) and you can make this one yourself quite easily and if you are going to be using a lot of it – I would? This recipe costs about 9 cents/oz and $1.36/pint instead of 62 cents/oz and $10/pint for the original stuff.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/component/option,com_rokdownloads/Itemid,17/id,271/view,file/
http://hildstrom.com/projects/seafoam/index.html

With Sta-bil you just need to ask, what that 5% small part of proprietary ingredients really is – I believe it is probably nothing more than Naphthalene oil? They have changed their MSDS quite a bit over the years. In 2003 the company disclosed it was 95 percent of an ingredient called ‘2-propanol’, which is nothing more than alcohol? The 5% ADDITIVE was probably NAPHTHALENE (SARA 313) (CERCLA) as several of their older MSDS have that listed. But, in 2005 and later, it currently states there is NO alcohol and is using 95% Petroleum Distillate (Naphtha). http://support.dewalt.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2516/~/msds:-sta-bil-fuel-stabilizer
http://www.kelloggmarine.com/msds/gld- gold eagle/GLD_22213_StabilFuelStabilizer_MSDS.pdf

In 2009 Sta-bil MSDS actually showed it is made of up of 80% Petroleum Distillate and an Additive Mixture maximum of 20%? Sales must have dropped? As now in 2010 the MSDS shows it back to using 95% of ‘Distillate Solvent Extract’ – notice the name change! LOL
http://www.primeautomotive.com/msds/sta-bil_22240_msds.pdf
http://ilrc.ucf.edu/documents/ILRC 00000023/MSDS 00000023.pdf
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...Eagle/GLD_22207_StabilFuelStabilizer_MSDS.pdf

Now we have ‘ValvTect Marine Gasoline and Diesel Stabilizer’ who actually did a study on marine gasoline and they do have a good presentation on their website: VMF/VMA Marine Fuel Problems And Solutions 2007 ; http://www.valvtect.com/downloads.asp and also a good article on Ethanol:
http://www.valvtect.com/fileshare/d...or_Boaters-consumer_Column_Format_05-2009.pdf

What does ValvTect use as the primary stabilizer ingredient; they are pretty clear about it… good old “KEROSENE”:
HAZARDOUS INGREDIENT/CAS # EXPOSURE LIMIT (PPM; MG/M3) *Kerosene ACGIH-TLV 100 mg/m3 CAS# 8008-20-6
Tertiary Butylated Phenol Not Established CAS# 68610-06-0
Product may contain traces of sulfur and benzene.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/pdfs/MSDS/Valvtect/VAL_GDS16GDS32_MSDS.pdf
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=8721
http://www.fueltestkit.com/is_gas_additive_safe_with_e10_list.html

Starting to sound to me, if you really need to use a stabilizer you can use “One ounce (30mL) of STA-BIL Fuel Stabilizer for every 2 ½ gallons (9.5 L) of gasoline, gasoline/oil mixtures, or ethanol blends is the recommended dosage level.”

Or,

Just go out and buy some ‘Diesel’, ‘Kerosene’, ‘Naphtha’, ‘1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene’, ‘Naphthalene oil’ and make up your own batch (which will probably be just as good or better) and use one ounce of that to every 2 ½ gallons, save yourself some money, and forget about it? NONE of those ingredients will harm a gasoline engine in small doses!

Added: My 2 cents for the day and that did take a LOT of time to read those MSDS reports! :D

Back