Freeze on new net-pens in Discovery Islands

Foxsea

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/st...070159_5187960_499701426732430#f66d3081f1573d

Alexandra Morton calls the freeze "groundbreaking."
http://www.straight.com/news/364886...discovery-islands-salmon-farms-groundbreaking

“This is a really important acknowledgement that there’s a problem with fish farms on these wild salmon migration routes,” the farming-industry critic told the Straight by phone today (March 22).

“Clearly the Liberals have grasped this. I mean, it’s groundbreaking.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Great news!!
Still a long way to go. We gotta get the farms that are there, out of there.

IF i'm reading that article right the NDP Enviro critic is esentially saying that nep-pen salmon farming is OK... they will work with DFO - gimme a break.

This to me was a brilliant move by a desperate government. It certainly turns the spotlight on the NDP to take the removal of fish farms from our coastal waters more seriously. This has just become a hot political issue. And I can't see that as being a bad thing.;) eman

So now the liberals are the good guys? Just put me in charge ill put the fish first and ill tell Harper where to stick it. DFO will be run out of the province and BC fisheries and oceans - an organization made up of British Columbians working in British Columbia for British Columbians will be formed.

This is good news but is it real or just politics? I'm hoping its real and there's more to come but I'm not too excited yet.

There is hope. Great move by the Liberals. Election or not, they deserve credit!

Getting the NDP to say anything firm about what they would do if they win the next election has been like trying to nail jelly to a wall. Don't expect anything different on this issue. There's a whole lot of people living on the north Island who work in the aquaculture industry and who so far have voted NDP.

Getting the NDP to say anything firm about what they would do if they win the next election has been like trying to nail jelly to a wall. Don't expect anything different on this issue. There's a whole lot of people living on the north Island who work in the aquaculture industry and who so far have voted NDP.

There are a lot more all over the rest of the Province that want them gone. Like the Liberals, the NDP is also beginning to feel the heat on this issue.

This was a no brainer for the Liberals as there was no plan nor need for more farms in this area; expect a few more elsewhere, when markets dictate.

This was a no brainer for the Liberals as there was no plan nor need for more farms in this area; expect a few more elsewhere, when markets dictate.

Well that is putting a brave face on it Dave.

So tell us; what other locations on our coast does your cherished alien Atlantic salmon open net pen industry plan to bless us with an expansion of your completely harmless ultra environmentally friendly industry, so critical to the economy of Norway?

I suspect your future neighbors want to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a lot more all over the rest of the Province that want them gone. Like the Liberals, the NDP is also beginning to feel the heat on this issue.
I assume you mean that the "them" in your sentence means fish farms. The problem is that the people all over the rest of the Province that want them gone are not concentrated in any particular riding, unlike the folks in the North Island who rely on the industry for their livelihood and is unlikely to vote for the Party that has a position that would negatively affect the industry. So the "anti fish farm" vote in the rest of the Province is pretty much diluted and not likely to have much influence one way or the other in the election.

I assume you mean that the "them" in your sentence means fish farms. The problem is that the people all over the rest of the Province that want them gone are not concentrated in any particular riding, unlike the folks in the North Island who rely on the industry for their livelihood and is unlikely to vote for the Party that has a position that would negatively affect the industry. So the "anti fish farm" vote in the rest of the Province is pretty much diluted and not likely to have much influence one way or the other in the election.

According to the Salmon Farmers Web Site the total province numbers are “ …more than 6000 people who work on salmon farms and provide services or supplies for our industry”. Let’s take into consideration that is a number from an industry PR organization which has a vested interest in having that number as high as possible for existence justification propaganda purposes. When you are an industry so under the gun for so many negatives you tend to focus on a few selling points. Two of them are almost always how much you contribute to the economy and how many jobs you are providing. I will hold the economic argument in abeyance for now.

Is that 6000 well paid full time fish farm jobs. I hardly think so. How many seasonal, how many part time, how many not on the north island, how many less is it with the closed farms, how many supplier employees who provide say toilet paper and for which those net pens represent only a tiny % of their business insufficient to have them throw their common sense and conscience out the window.

I have a young relative who once work on a fish farm as a starter job. Kind of like you first, part time, low pay job at MacDonald’s. He got himself some education and a good job real quick after that eye opener, but he counted in their numbers. Consider all that and then compare the number of workers and their families and contrast that against the total population of the north island. I have family in the north island and know a fair number of people there, fish Pacific salmon and attend fish and wildlife fund raising events there. You may just find that there are a lot more people who oppose this industry out of informed concern than support it out of financial self interest, even in the North Island.

No political party would want to alienate even a single voter, especially before an election but don’t over estimate the power of a handful of fish farm employees and their families. The NDP is not unsupportive of the Industry but they also are going to continuously feel the same political pressure that pushed the liberals towards this pre election announcement.

The political power of the industry is not in the votes it more or less directly influences because of jobs; it is in the dollars they have available to influence political parties and conduct massive professional PR campaigns including on this forum. Even with that in my opinion they are not winning the PR war and slowly losing ground. If that continues parties of all political strips are going to begin to distance themselves from the industry and that money may look a little less inviting.

To put your argument about the “anti” fish farm vote (and you have their terminology down) being watered down and inconsequential in the rest of the province into perspective; please consider within a few kilometers of where I live that are hundreds of thousands of voters across a number of ridings. I believe the majority of them have concerns about this industry and even the Greens can elect down here. They are certainly not all single issue voters by any means but there are many for whom this is a very significant issue. Their numbers are orders of magnitude higher than the single issue self interest fish farm voters of the North Island. All parties would be foolish not to take that into consideration.

I'm not trying to "argue" anything here, Rockfish. And I was not trying to suggest that the anti fish farm vote was "watered down and inconsequential" in all areas of the Province. Clearly, that vote is potentially very "consequential" in the Coastal ridings. Probably not so much in the Okanagan, Kootenay and Peace River regions. My point was that given that the vote could be consequential in ridings beyond the obvious one (North Island), it would be difficult imagining an NDP campaign strategist coming up with any firm statements either pro or anti fiah farms. The will continue, as they have on so many issues (eg Ferries) to commit to "further study". Why would they do anything different? They are basically on a cruise control course to a majority Government and as long as they don't commit to doing anything, they can do pretty much anything they want once they are elected.

Today Rob Flemming, Environment Critic, said the NDP will look at banning open net fish farms along key salmon migration routes!( CBC Radio 7:30, 10:00). The BC Green Party has said "we will work towards removing salmon feedlots from British Columbia's wild salmon migration routes" The Liberals said they won't issue new fish farm leases off Campbell River for 7 years.

Feedlots are an election issue and the political momentum to have them removed from migration routes is certainly building.

Today Rob Flemming, Environment Critic, said the NDP will look at banning open net fish farms along key salmon migration routes!( CBC Radio 7:30, 10:00). The BC Green Party has said "we will work towards removing salmon feedlots from British Columbia's wild salmon migration routes" The Liberals said they won't issue new fish farm leases off Campbell River for 7 years.

Feedlots are an election issue and the political momentum to have them removed from migration routes is certainly building.

That just made my day ;)

I'm not trying to "argue" anything here, Rockfish. And I was not trying to suggest that the anti fish farm vote was "watered down and inconsequential" in all areas of the Province. Clearly, that vote is potentially very "consequential" in the Coastal ridings. Probably not so much in the Okanagan, Kootenay and Peace River regions. My point was that given that the vote could be consequential in ridings beyond the obvious one (North Island), it would be difficult imagining an NDP campaign strategist coming up with any firm statements either pro or anti fiah farms. The will continue, as they have on so many issues (eg Ferries) to commit to "further study". Why would they do anything different? They are basically on a cruise control course to a majority Government and as long as they don't commit to doing anything, they can do pretty much anything they want once they are elected.

You got that right, bigbruce. Any party finding themselves in that position would do the same thing. That's the way our system of democracy works.

Back