Fraser sox

G

goodoutroo

I'm sitting here in Nanaimo and it is the middle of July without a single sockeye in the freezer!
We are usually into Alberni for sockeye every chance we get at this time of year - it is a great fishery for kids.
So I started thinking...can we target those sockeye that migrate down the strait and head into the Fraser?
Has anyone heard more specifically where these fish travel?
It seems to me that a person could run to the middle of the strait from Nanaimo quite easily on a calm day. Sure it takes boat gas to get out there however we'd be saving gas in the trucks not getting over the hump!

Depending on the diversion rate a good percentage of Frazer bound sockeye will be on their way down the straits. You can check out test fishing data from the test fishing boats in the upper straits from the DFO website. give the run a 4-5 day delay to get down here. If I get a chance I usually run over to Sabine Channel. It is in between Lasqueti and Texada.

as95routes2.gif

Just watch out for area Whiskey Gulf on your way across. It was about a 15-20 minute run in my boat from schooner cove. It is a little bit like fishing in the canal too, the Islands are on either side of you. I've heard of guys running across to fish by Vancouver for them as well.

Where abouts in Sabiene Channel would you fish? Along the wall on Texada? I have always wanted to try and target some socks over there but never know where to really go.... Thanks

I know guys run from ladysmith or chemanus across to the mouth of the fraser for sox. have to make it an early morning and watch out for the winds. Usually a bit later though as the run usually doesn't peak till mid aug.

last summer went across to sandheads and when the bite was on it was great.:D We landed 4 nice sized sockeye in under and hour, lost a few, and every boat was getting fish. Seals were too busy porking out to even bother anyone[:0]

Go on a falling tide.. They move through there fast so when you find them follow them in the tide! If your lucky enough you can stay on them a while. Watch for JUMPERS!! I usually start trolling as soon as I come around the bottom end of Lesqueti, and troll towards the west. I've done really good there some days. Others not so well. But at least you can always stop for springs at ermm I think it is called Sangster. I'll have to check on my GPS...

Oh ya you can get the test fishing info here..

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/salmon/testfish/Sockeye/default.htm

Do you use your standard issue sockeye gear over in sabine channel? IE a pink squirt, 27" leader and flasher trolled slow....

At this time the diversion rate for the sockeye is 30% to the inside and 70% to the outside.

That means that 70% will be swimming by Victoria,not good for the straight.

That is a high rate to the outside. My cousin should do well for them fishing out of Sooke ;) Some old timer showed him where to fish them down there and he acually does really good. They should show up in the port of san juan too then.

Back