Fraser Sockeye Update

Too bad, this is another example of a dwindling stock managed by the DFO. Again, won't be missing the Sockeye opening on the Fraser. Translation from the DFO doublespeak, quit bottom bouncing in the Fraser or they will close the river completely to sportfishing. Bottom bouncing is not an acceptable fishing method for Springs, and you are not allowed to target Sockeye as they are closed.

Hey DFO should try and keep poachers in check. Saw a truck leaving Ladner slough in the early morning hours when i was testing out a seadoo... Anyway what looked or sounded like vietnamese people hauling a truck load of Sockeye. Took off in such a hurry that they left about 10 Sockeye on the ground. They must have been harvesting at night. Do we have patrols on the Fraser at night?

If you figure someone's poaching, especially large quantities like that, call fisheries and report them. Write down their vehicle licence number and give the details on the Observe, Record, Report phone line. I'm not saying it will do any good, as I have little confidence in the DFO doing anything. At least you will feel you did something to help the resource (even if enforcement is lacking).

The Observe, Record, Report phone number is: 1-800-465-4336

Just to poor salt on the wound---native opening on the river today ahhhhhhhhhhh what do we use the fish for? fertilizer????

Back