Fraser River Sturgeon - Fishing Reports

Just got off the water from a more successful day. Fishing with a new angler to sturgeon (neighbors kid), we were more than happy to get a few fish on the line. With some great help and directions from John with Lang's Fishing Adventures ( http://www.fishingguidebc.com/ ) we were able to find 3 fish, progressively getting larger as the day went on.
By John's recommendation, we switched our choice of bait (Ooolichans) to using stink bait. According to John, the fish switched last week from fresh to stink. We had one rod rigged with stink, the other with fresh roe from the day previous. After 3 solid taps on the stink, the roe was pulled from the line-up and stink went down on rod two.
The first fish, my neighbors first sturgeon, was a scrappy 2 to 3 footer. We managed to snap a great shot and sent it on its merry way. The next fish was a nice 4 footer. A good tug, and the youngster (he's 15) landed his second fish.

Then things died off and with our "last cast" attitude, we tried for one more fish to close out the day. We relocated above the mission bridge, and as we were passing the harbor, a nice 6 foot fish broke water not once, but twice. We dropped anchor. Put on a nice chunk of bait, and down the lines went. Expecting to be into it quick, another hour past and were left with our two fish for the day. Looking at the clock, it was 10mins to 1pm.

"ok bud, last cast and we are done. We will give it 10 minutes and see if the fish come through for us..."

tic tic tic BANG! FISH ON!!!

My niehgbor set the hook, the rod torqued, and there was no give! We have a big boy. Broke the anchor off my 12' inflatable (which recieved a couple of chuckles from the many jets in our vacinity) and we were into the fight. The fish was plainly directing the boat where he wanted to go. As he moved us closer to the boat launch he came up with a big thrashing breach! annd ****!! My motor wont fire to aid us in the fight and its pulling us into the tugs at the dock.. Getting a little worried, as I was now I paddle battle a monster fish (The TYEE Pool boys would have been proud!) With the youngster working that big fish, arms burning. Now getting closer to the boat, the fish made its final effort, a 2nd breach of near epic proportions.....and fish off!! DAMN!! lol In the end my neighbor guessed it to be 8.5', but my guess closer to a for sure 7.5'. I couldn't wipe the grin off his face, or mine, if I tried.

Not a hot day, but a lot of fun. Good times fishing Dino's in Mission!

Cheers-FB-

Last edited by a moderator:
OH and in regards to my inquiry about the headless sox in the slough...According to the guide, this is a result of First Nations unable to sell the fish they net. The fish were gutted with head off. and discarded at the boat launch shores once the flies got to them. An utter waste is no better way to describe it.

Way to go guys....look forward to an even MORE dismal run in 4 years. Leaves a guy with a hook and line just steaming.

Here's a few great shots from my past reports.

Here's my neighbors son with his first sturgeon! along with a photo of the 8fter on the line that we played and lost in front of the harbour. And a peaceful shot from a spot off the Stave Lake train bridge, where my girlfriend hooked and landed her first and second sturgeon (nevermind the fact I didn't catch anything and had to hear about it all night! haha)...

great days on the Fraser!

0819120925a.jpg

0819121258b.jpg

0825121714a.jpg

Spent the weekend fishing from shore for sturgeon, or the dock more specifically, off the mission harbor. Sunday was pretty good day with a total of 4 fish hooked, with the biggest being an estimated 7ft, with a fight that finished sooner than we would have hoped. got a good go pro video of the fight, seen here. Angler was my nieghbor, a die hard at 15, who can play a fish as well as any I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJjSQoq_XWo&feature=plcp

Today (monday) was slower but still productive. WIth only a few bites we managed to hook two fish. A decent fighting 3+ footer, and, on the last cast of the day, a 6 footer was hooked by me, moment before I had called it quits. It put up a great fight and managed to land it successfully at the dock. A video can be seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79O9ld38ysk&feature=plcp

We are using heavy action rods, so you can get the idea of the power of these fish. The reels are Tyranos 30's with a drag strength tha almost left me swimming at about 5/8 strength. The stinkiest of stink bait was the trick for us.

Cool videos FB! Who'd have thought you could get that much sturgeon action right off the dock in Mission. I still have yet to land one of those bad boys. Gotta get out there sometime this week.

Cool videos FB! Who'd have thought you could get that much sturgeon action right off the dock in Mission. I still have yet to land one of those bad boys. Gotta get out there sometime this week.

ya it was pretty awesome! Lets get out there! We need to go fetch another floater first, but it was a great weekend dockside for sure. Aside from the smell of the bait it was tough to beat.

ya it was pretty awesome! Lets get out there! We need to go fetch another floater first, but it was a great weekend dockside for sure. Aside from the smell of the bait it was tough to beat.

Hey FB,

I thought the Harbour Authority discouraged fishing from the dock, I think they even had a sign posted at one time. Is it OK to do that now, or am I thinking about another dock in the area?

By the way, saw Brody's report on the other board and it was awesome to watch!

I made sure to look high and low around the harbor and couldn't see anything that said otherwise. DFO showed up on their RIB and didn't seem to mind or question us either. The only designation we found was the dock is open to the public from 9 to 5. Other than that, it seems good to go. Will post if someone tells me otherwise. But until then...fish on!

I made sure to look high and low around the harbor and couldn't see anything that said otherwise. DFO showed up on their RIB and didn't seem to mind or question us either. The only designation we found was the dock is open to the public from 9 to 5. Other than that, it seems good to go. Will post if someone tells me otherwise. But until then...fish on!

Well the DFO have no jurisdiction over Sturgeon, but they would probably know if fishing off the dock was not permitted.

On the other board, of course.

Geeez maybe I'm too busy, or too lazy lol I only use this website for my fishing forum needs. 108 pages of sturgeon posts on BCFR. Seems like I've been wasting my time posting my reports here! Ah well, hopefully some have enjoyed my ramblings... try there FD! :p

Well the DFO have no jurisdiction over Sturgeon, but they would probably know if fishing off the dock was not permitted.

Since I'm not willing to go through 108 pages, if not DFO, than who does?

thx

fd...............

Geeez maybe I'm too busy, or too lazy lol I only use this website for my fishing forum needs. 108 pages of sturgeon posts on BCFR. Seems like I've been wasting my time posting my reports here! Ah well, hopefully some have enjoyed my ramblings... try there FD! :p

Since I'm not willing to go through 108 pages, if not DFO, than who does?

If not DFO, than who does?

Well DFO will enforce certain regulations if they see violations because they are on the water looking out for the salmon, but in terms of who as overall responsibility, it is Provincial. Go Fish BC, the various Sturgeon Conservation Societies, and most of the Fraser Valey Guiding companies are the organizations that really deserve all the credit for looking after this fish however.

Hey FD,

it is almost time...Mouth of the Stave and area, fresh dog roe...Had absolutley EPIC days for years in my 12' tinny.....nuff said

Getbent

Hey FD,

it is almost time...Mouth of the Stave and area, fresh dog roe...Had absolutley EPIC days for years in my 12' tinny.....nuff said

Getbent

Ya, nothing but little guys around the mouth of the stave. It was a good spot to get my lady into her first and second sturgeon. That was fun to watch!!

But GB's got it, when the Chum start piling up in the stave it gets pretty thick with the big boys..can't wait!

can't wait, big push of chum into the Stave on Oct. 15th 40+ chum in the morning jig fishing, then an afternoon filled with Sturgeon.
love it love it.
my favorite fishery

Back