Fly fishing in the Cariboo/Chilcoton area early Sept 13

Warren

My wife and I are taking the Port Hardy to Prince Rupert BC ferry and then driving down through Prince George to Williams Lake. I am a fly fisher and looking for a cabin on a lake with a boat so I can wet my line for some catch and release of rainbows maybe. Or some stream fishing could be nice. Can anyone recommend an area, a lake or a lodge we could stay at? We have never been in the area so any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Warren F

You are going to be in the world's best Coho,Steelhead fishing area.Skeena,Bulkley,Copper,Kalum,Kispiox and Maurice Rivers.Do some research for your information.

Thanks Bear. I'll go back at it. However I seem to hit on a lot of $1000.00 a night fly in lodges that sound great but all I'm looking for are some lakes or rivers with some cabins & boat so I can catch & release a few & relax as we tour & enjoy the area which I understand is beautiful.

Appreciate your suggestions & will keep looking.

Dragon Lake at Quesnel.Motels in Terrace,Houston,Hazelton,Smithers etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the Chilcotin there are several "regular" (i.e not high end) resorts with campgrounds and cabins on Anahim and Nimpo Lakes. Several have boats for rent. All accessible from highway 20. I went there in the 90's and Nimpo was great for trolling but tougher for fly fishing. Even back then though, as a fly fishing beginner, I got a few in the shallower bays and inlets. (Both of these lakes, (plus a lot more!) are west of Williams Lake a few hours, so may not suit your route.)

In the Cariboo I like Mahood Lake - on edge of Wells-Gray park 45 KM east of 100 MIle House. Nice campground there with boat launch but no rentals in the vicinity. Nice rainbow flyfishing and it used to have some big lake whitefish in there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back