Fishing for Chinook around Nanaimo...

R

RVP

Angling around Nanaimo gains a few more challenges in the immediate area...however successfull opportunities are still bountiful. A few regulars that patronize Screaming Fish and Fly "Nanaimo's Sportfishing Centre" have been extremely successful at catching chinook salmon, lingcod and other species from outside the non-retention boundries set by DFO earlier this past week. Some of the new boundies offer angling within for catch and release of certian species as well as retention of others within the same set boundries. Chinook retention outside of these boundry lines, still offer excellent opportunities to catch and kill...

Today was a great day to be out on the water and hooking fish according to Mark, one of our areas more knowledgable sportfisherman...who kept 3 of many chinook in the high teens to twenties and one lingcod as well.

see the map...

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Opportunities/PN/A17NanoosePN.pdf

After looking at the map and reading the explanations, am I led to believe that you can't keep chinook in the area from the Fingers to Neck Point?

This is a first if I'm reading correctly.

Good to know we trolled from Charlaine down to Grey rock a couple nights ago and were fishing closed waters had no idea, didn't get anything there but on the way my buddy hooked a monster that was peeling line like it was nothing, he lost it when it turned and started coming at us too fast spat the hook, too bad it would have been 25+. going out this afternoon, we'll stick to the chinook retention areas looks like you can still circle neck point if you want. Am I wrong about that if I am someone let me know
Thanks[B)]

We've got the fever now, just waiting for the winds to die a bit. We trolled down to the Winchelsea's because of your reports earlier in the week from Gerald.

careful on regs they closed winchelseas to chinook retention. If fishin gerald the baits(more seals to) on the inside but the fish are on the outside. I think they are migrating more than feeding because i trolled through tons of bait on the inside without a tap. Im out for the bite this early eve if anyones headin out.
Ps greg you gonna run in your boat up?

Back