Fishfarming Opposition - INTERNATIONAL!

Little Hawk

Howdy,

Had the great pleasure of attending a two-day conference on fish-farming in mid Oct. The conference, sponsored by a wealthy Chilean environmentalist and held at the Strathcona Park Lodge, was well attended by environmentalist's, scientists', First Nation's Chief's, the President of the BC Tourism & Wilderness butt.,and (like me) fishermen from Norway, Chile, Canada & the USA. This was the last of three such fish-farming summit's with the previous two happening in Norway and Chile.

This assembly of people from around the Globe, gathered to share information and ideas, was unprecedented in the long-history of opposition to this pathetic industry.

Several initiatives were born of this gathering, including the press-release which I will attempt to copy following.

As founder of the Wild Salmon Alliance I will throw what I can behind the growing effort to get Campbell thrown out of office next Spring.

Standing for Wild Salmon,
Terry Anderson

International Declaration Against Unsustainable
Salmon Farming

We are global environmentalists, First Nations, scientists, tourism business owners and
operators, and fishermen/women fighting to save our coasts. We have inspected salmon
farms, and held summits in Chile, Canada and Norway. We conclude that the science is
conclusive: open-net cage salmon farming is severely impacting the world’s oceans.
Specifically salmon farming is:
1. Ecologically devastating (e.g.: destabilizing ecosystems by killing wild salmon across the
northern hemisphere, discharging invasive species. Depriving wildlife such as bears, eagles,
whales as well as human communities of a primary food source, causing massive viral and
sea lice epidemics, and genetic pollution)
2. Socially destructive: (e.g.: leading to worker death and labor law infractions in Chile,
threatening valuable local economies, degrading traditional food resources and ignoring the
rights of Canadian First Nations, Chilean artisanal fishermen, and Norwegian and Sami
fisherman)
3. Threatening local food security with drug, feed and feces discharge: (e.g.: chemical net
antifoulants, unapproved louse chemotherapeutics, antibiotics, flesh colorants, tons of
nitrogen and phosphorous associated with toxic algae blooms)
4. Threatening the global food supply by fishing the North Atlantic and South Pacific to
produce aquaculture feed resulting in a net loss of fish supply available to feed people,
affecting also the marine food web.
We found that the salmon farm corporations, largely Norwegian owned, are denying impact
and distracting the public from hearing the truth in all our countries. We found that
governments are complicit with the fish farming industry delaying protection of ocean
resources and also withholding the truth from the public that salmon farms kill wild salmon
and harm other indigenous species.
The United Nations Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries adopted in 1995 states “As
a primary goal, aquaculture development should conserve genetic diversity and minimize
negative effects of farmed fish on wild fish populations, while increasing supplies of fish
for human consumption.” We declare each of these principles violated by today’s global
marine salmon farming industry.
Ocean ecosystems are essential to life on earth. As such we are resolved to protect our
oceans from salmon farming. We are calling for a global moratorium on raising salmon in
net pens and an immediate halt to the destruction of public ocean resources by this
industry. We invite others to learn more and sign at www.ourglobalocean.org
It is our intention to prevent this industry from continuing to devastate our Oceans.

Signed this day November 2, 2008
Chief Bob Chamberlin Kwicksutaineuk/Ah-kwa-mish, Canadian First Nation.
Kurt Willy Oddekalv, Green Warriors, Norway
Wolfram Heise Proyecto Pumalin, Chile
Alfredo Quarto, Mangrove Action Project, U.S.A.
Alexandra Morton, Adopt-a-fry.org, Canada
Darren Blaney, Homalco Canadian First Nation
Captain Paul Watson, President, Sea Shepherd Conservation Society, USA
Anne Mosness, Go Wild Campaign, USA
Craig Orr, Stan Proboszcz, Watershed Watch, Canada
Terry Anderson, Wild Salmon Alliance, Canada
Darlene Schanfald, Olympic Environmental Council, USA
Ocean Aura Design Inc., Canada
Don Staniford, USA
Brian Gunn, President, Wilderness Tourism Association, Canada
Bruce Sandison, Scottish Sporting Services, Scotland
Ronald Pfeil Mann, Isla Magdalena Nacional Park, Chile
Steve Strand, Retired University of California Los Angeles, Marine Biology, Canada
Myrna Boulding, President, Strathcona Park Lodge and Outdoor Education Centre.
Steve Lawson, First Nations Environmental Network, Canada
Bartlett Naylor, Capital Strategies, USA
Doug Tompkins USA Juan Carlos Cardenas, Centro Ecoceanos, Chile

Terry,

How come you don't discuss your email you sent around advocating illegal activities & vandalism to promote your cause?

That's vigellante terrorism Terry, and is very illegal, as well as despicable in a democratic society. That's not how Canadians operate, that's how Al Quaeda works.

Sockeye,

I'm compelled to explain my email statement to you (and others who may have misinterpreted it) not to defend myself or my intentions, but to highlight - right here in front of all as you have chosen to do - the fact that the likes of you (fishfarmers) use the same hackneyed tactics over and over to try to deflect/distract/mislead the Canadian public at every opportunity while your filthy industry continues to pollute/infect/destroy our pristine Pacific Coast ecosystem & ecology.

In your pathetic attempt to portray me as some sort of terrorist, you conveniently forgot to mention that I also stated: NO ONE GETS HURT!

Are you familiar with the term: Civil disobedience?
This too, is an illegal activity, yet it wouldn't quite fit the picture you were trying to paint of me.

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Gee Terry. I sure am glad you are not too self righteous. What credential do you have to prove your theories? Let me guess you don't have any other than some rehashed diatribe. You have a lot in common with Grant Hadwin. He knew better than everyone else and was a self appointed saviour of the enviroment (sound familiar?). You may want to tone down the rhetoric and maybe take a more balanced approach to all this. Or you and your axe that you are grinding can continue to stand on your soap box. Grant Hadwin....look it up.

AND SO IT BEGINS..... KEEP FIGHTING TERRY..... **** ON OPEN NET PEN FISH FARMS CLOSED CONTAINMENT FOR THE WIN

Where have all the Orcas gone?
Published: November 04, 2008 11:00 PM Where are Blossom and Splash?

Also identified as J11 and L67, they are two breeding female killer whales that have been added to a growing list of local orcas missing and believed dead this year.

Their disappearances have fanned fears for the future of the southern resident killer whales.

No bodies have been found, but scientists with the Center for Whale Research on San Juan Island have concluded there are now seven adults and calves unaccounted for, pushing the population that once numbered 200 down to 83.

Southern resident orcas straddle the U.S. border, ranging the waters off B.C.’s south coast through the Gulf Islands to Seattle.

They’re among the most researched and watched whales on the planet, all individually identified by numbers and even names based on fin markings.

Observers had already witnessed signs of starvation in the form of an emaciated condition called “peanut head.”

And the orcas’ plight may be worsening as they head into winter malnourished as a result of this year’s dismal salmon returns.

“This is a species that cannot afford to lose one, let alone seven individuals,” said Christianne Wilhelmson of the Georgia Strait Alliance.

The whales rely heavily on chinook and chum salmon as their primary food source, she said, but those fish stocks cratered this year.

Six environmental groups have now joined forces to pressure the federal government to take new steps to protect both northern and southern resident orcas in order to comply with Canada’s Species At Risk Act.

Rather than issue an order that critical habitat be protected, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans issued a statement deeming that habitat to already be protected through a variety of existing mechanisms.

Ecojustice, the non-profit group coordinating the challenge, has asked the Federal Court of Canada for a declaration that Ottawa has not adequately met its responsibilities.

Staff lawyer Lara Tessaro said it’s a key test of Canada’s approach to protecting endangered species.

“If we lack the will to protect killer whales, there’s not too many species the government is going to protect,” she said.

Tessaro said actions that could aid orcas include naming Marine Protected Areas that limit certain activities, banning military sonar use when whales are present as well as more intensive steps to protect salmon and even allocate part of the runs for orca consumption.

She said Ottawa’s powers to authorize habitat destruction, as it has done for the expansion of Deltaport, is an example of the inadequacy of federal orca protection.

The groups also fear the whales’ salmon food supply is dwindling due to overfishng, the impacts of fish farming, inland habitat loss and rising ocean temperatures due to climate change.

MISSING IN 2008

L67 (Splash) – Female. Born 1985. Missing September 2008.

L111– Female. Born Aug. 12, 2008. Missing late August 2008.

J11 (Blossom) – Female. Born +/- 1972. Missing July 2008.

L21 (Ankh) – Female. Born +/- 1950. Missing summer 2008.

L101 (Aurora) – Male. Born 2002, 4th calf of L67. Missing summer 2008

Picture002-1.jpg

Ha ha ha...fish farms are now responsible for whales disappearing. Why not blame salmon farms for global warming, the sinking of the Lusitania and a rise in gun violence while your at it. Keep throwing mud guys. I guess the other stuff isn't sticking so try and find something else.
Code:
the fact that the likes of you (fishfarmers) use the same hackneyed tactics over and over to try to deflect/distract/mislead the Canadian public at every opportunity while your filthy industry continues to pollute/infect/destroy our pristine Pacific Coast ecosystem & ecology.
Well we all cant be as upstanding as Don Staniford. I mean he is part of your group and he is currently charged (and convicted) for misleading and out right lying about the negative effects of salmon farming. But then again Terry the truth is not something you really care about anyway. Keep up the good work Terry.

Howdy,

It is my understanding that Stanifords' final court date is yet to happen.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in person - finally, after nearly 10-yrs of email correspondence - and I can attest to both his character and undying commitment to bringing a quick end to this net-pen scourge the likes of you so rigorously defend. All of us sport fishermen owe Don Staniford a sincere debt of gratitude.

Barbender (Greek/n.- Fishfarmer masquerading as a Sportfisherman): It appears you are running out of credible or even intelligent responses to fishfarming opposition posts here as you are often resorting to boyish "Ha-Ha-Ha" type grammar and launching into personal attacks on the credibility of people like me.

This is good. Keep up the good work Barbender; it tells me I'm doing my job and you, too, like all the others working in and defending the industry, are beginning to feel the heat and desperation as the knowledge that 'The days are truly numbered' for the net-pen business on the Canadian Pacific Coast... finally begins to sink-in.

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

fishfarms, like most things, have their place. Unfortunetly that place is on land, and out of our waters!

quote:It is my understanding that Stanifords' final court date is yet to happen.

Negative on that Terry. He was convicted over a year ago then skipped the country to avoid paying his fine for lying about the negative effects of salmon farming. He was served again on a BC ferry and as of yet has not paid his fine. He is from Scotland by the way. Regardless he does your whole organization a diservice by being a part of it. Then again maybe having professional liars onboard is something you may want.

Howdy,

What on earth would fish-farmers know about lying?

Thanks for the update on Don. Class act you are.

Terry

Back