4 oz shrimp or prawns
1 can clams
1.5 cups corn
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
1 cup half and half
Directions
In a large stockpot over medium-high heat, combine the butter, olive oil, onion, garlic, and celery. Cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until the onions are transparent. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and stir well to make a dry roux. Gradually add the chicken broth and clams and milk ,stir until slightly thickened. Stir in the potatoes, corn, dill, tarragon, thyme, and paprika. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
Stir in the salmon, Halibut and shrimp, salt, and pepper. Simmer over low heat, uncovered for 10 minutes.
Mix in the half-and-half and continue to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Do not let the chowder boil after adding the half-and-half. Serve hot.

West Coast Fish Chowder (Guys)

1lb bacon
1-2 medium sized onions diced
2-3 carrots sliced or about 3 cups
3-4 ribs of celery sliced/diced or about 1.5 cups
4-6 large russets large dice or cubes
2-3lbs of clams in shell or...
2 355ml clam nectar
1 large can of clams
1lb of halibut
1lb of cod
1lb of salmon
1lb of prawns
1 litre of 10% cream
water as required
A bundle of fresh Thyme or couple o tsps of dry whole thyme
2-3 bay leaves
Kosher salt
Fresh ground pepper
1/4 cup give or take of cornstarch plus water
Optional: 2 cans of niblets

In a large heavy bottomed pot....

Cut the bacon into cubes and slowly start rendering the fat, add the onions and increase temp to medium but do not crisp the bacon or brown the onions. Just saute until soft and add clams or clam meat and nectar. Remove the shells and put the clam meat back into the broth. Add water to the broth as it should be quite strong at this point...Just be sure to taste, if it is too weak reduce the stock...at this point you should have about 3-4 litres of stock, bring to a boil add the veg the thyme and the bay.
Reduce temp and let the stock simmer until veg are close to being fork tender. Remove the thyme bundle (should have no leaves left)

Now I cream my stock before I add the fish ( I Know cream my stock), anyways put 500ml of cream into a bowl and laddle the hot stock into the cream...add at least double the amount of cream and then add that back into the stock. If you add the cream to the boiling/simmering stock it may curdle or seperate to be more precise.
Repeat that step with the rest of the cream.

Add your cubed fish, cook for a minute or two or just long enough to cook the fish and thicken with the cornstarch mixture, chowder needs to be at a boil to incorporate the starch properly. i toss my prawns in last and let them steep as I finish it up.
Make it as thick as you want by adding more cornstarch mixed with water.
Adjust your seasoning.

Cornstarch doesn't need to cook out such as flour does in a whitewash, so it is good to go.
Be sure to stir big time when thickening and turn down immediately ...it will stick

The measurements are approximate (except for the clams) as I just kind of throw it together. I do it homestyle so the veg is chunky and the fish chunks are spoonfulls. Basically a clam chowder with fish.
Alternatively I use fish stock...hali bones are killer.

Serve with a crusty loaf and some butter...game on.

I have a VERY good Cioppino recipe and a halibut/corn chowder if anyone wants it as well...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back