Fish farms allied with provincial government

Both our current Provincial and Federal Governments and the Fish Farm Industry have a long history of working together as one large pro industry propaganda machine.
Our tax dollars at work but not for us or Pacific Salmon. I am sure Norway appreciates it.

“The [agriculture] ministry has no statutory authority to compel samples from fish farms for diagnostic analysis. All submissions from the farms for diagnostic testing are voluntary,” says the ministry statement”. Why the ‘H, E, Double Hockey Sticks’ not.

Last edited by a moderator:
“The [agriculture] ministry has no statutory authority to compel samples from fish farms for diagnostic analysis. All submissions from the farms for diagnostic testing are voluntary,” says the ministry statement”. Why the ‘H, E, Double Hockey Sticks’ not.

And that statement right there from the Ministry says it all. Not only does this arrogant feed lot industry squat across a public resource, the open ocean, but it considers itself the "Big Brother" who deigns to allow public access to the disease data from it's farms, as and when it pleases.
And we the government and the public allow it!
If they are occupying a public resource all fish feed lots should be forced to provide samples and disclose all disease results as a condition of occupancy. It is OUR resource not theirs!
This industry is like a socially depraved gangsta, strutting around giving the orders like a villain on the mean streets. Such behaviour has no place on the public streets and it has no place on the public ocean!!

Has anyone asked the NDP what their position on fish farming is? Claire Trevena is the North Island MLA and I would bet she would not make any strong statement against the industry given the number of voters in her riding who depend on the industry for their jobs.

Has anyone asked the NDP what their position on fish farming is? Claire Trevena is the North Island MLA and I would bet she would not make any strong statement against the industry given the number of voters in her riding who depend on the industry for their jobs.

I suspect none of the major party candidates are dumb enough to open their mouths on this one before an election. No matter who gets in they are going to feel the anti fish farm heat after the election. By the way not all that many jobs in this industry despite their paid PR hacks spin on the issue.

If you want to chase windmills and stir the political crap, try and pry out of a liberal candidate where they stand on huge increases in the number of tankers and pipelines given where the majority of BC voters are on that issue.

SVIAC has sent a survey to all candidates on southern VI with questions that relate to fish, fishing and environment (incl. fish farms). Members will receive the results of this survey very shortly via email in order to help them make a decision.

.........and to think they all sat down and drafted up the gameplan for fish farms back in the mid-sixties I think it was......it actually might have been earlier.....everything now that is a concern about fish farms was known by them back then when they drafted the initial blueprint.

Back