Fish Farming and cbc

nedarb2

just a thought,
i was just on cbc's website and you are able to submit to them comments and suggestions... i was wondering if enough of us sent them messages asking them to put together a documentry on fish farms and their destruction of wild salmon stocks, if they would air something anti-fish farm for the public to see and have wide-spread??

It has sort of been done I believe. I saw a video all about the Broughton Archipelago and the affects of the fish farms. It was made by the Recalma's in Qualicum. What is David Suzuki's take on the farms? I once had David's uncle and David's nephew out on a charter before ;)

Take only what you need.

Howdy,

Suzuki has been an opponent of the industry nearly longer than anyone. I believe it was Suzuki $$$ that sponsored the Leggatt Inquiry into Salmon Farming done a few years back. Leggatt's report basically condemned the industry and recommended a rapid transition to closed-containment. If memory serves, the NDP Government of the day responded to the final report by lifting the moratorium on expansion of the industry. I attended the hearings held in Campbell River.

Cheers,
Terry

Suzuki actually was a supporter of fish farming and actually did a nature of things episode condemning commercial harvest and singing the praises of salmon farming as a more viable alternative. I belive this was back in the mid 90's.

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Suzuki actually was a supporter of fish farming and actually did a nature of things episode condemning commercial harvest and singing the praises of salmon farming as a more viable alternative. I belive this was back in the mid 90's.

That contradicts the information as follows from his website :

The David Suzuki Foundation believes that the fish farming industry around the world, including on Canada's Pacific and Atlantic coasts, must move away from using net cages to using safe, fully enclosed systems that trap wastes. Farmed-fish feed often contains antibiotics, other drugs and pesticides, and excess feed and feces smother the ocean floor beneath and around the net cages, causing significant habitat damage. Fish escapement and the transfer of disease from farms to the marine environment are other serious concerns. In British Columbia on Canada's West Coast, more than one million fish are estimated to have escaped from net cages since the early 1980s.

Isnt cbc government owned?

DSC01361.jpg

22' Hewescraft Searunner

RS,

That's what he says now, but initially he thought that it would be a way to take pressure off the wild stocks.

Howdy,

Gary Cooper (Nice Fish - Productions) is in the final stages of editing a soon-to-be-released 1/2-hour show on the travesties of the open net-pen fishfarming business here on our coast.

It features interviews with Dr. John Volpe (PhD. Environmental Sciences' U.Vic.), Alexandra Morton (Field Biologist), Twyla Roscovich (Documentary Filmmaker), and myself (****-disturber). The show also features some of Twyla's awesome footage of west-coast wildlife and nature.

I had the privilege of previewing the work on Tuesday and I can assure you all it's well worth seeing. Gary's done an awesome job on it!

Gary assured me it will be seen by millions across North America.

Standing for Wild Salmon,
Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Fish farming is here to stay. We have to look at ways to make it safer for the oceans and also we have to wake up and realize that fish farming is not the only reason that our stocks are in decline.

As far as Gary Cooper's "documentary" is concerned I couldnt think of a group of people who will put the most incredible one sided spin on this issue. If some of these people would stop bashing fish farms and start working together with all forms of government to come up with ideas and solutions the problem might actually resolve itself.

yah, hopefully the 'problem' does resolve itself and move onto land. It's no secret that these farms do affect wild fish in a negative way. Even if it is just a little bit, isn't that enough reason to move to closed containment?

Howdy,

Great, just what a sport-fishing forum needs: another fish-farm sympathizer.

What's happening to this place?

Barbender: Your handle - more accurately from my perspective - should be changed to "Wordbender!"

I digress.

I've checked in on this site for the past year or two and never felt the need to put in my input on an issue until i read this. The ignorant attitude of trying to blame fish farms for the decline of salmon populations on the west coast.

Yes I am pro fish farm, however I am not one to sit here and say they do not need to improve themselves. There are many areas in which they can improve. But to not realize that poor logging practices, pollution to our lakes and rivers, over fishing among others are not major problems in which we have to deal with as well improving our fish farms is wrong.

quote:Barbender: Your handle - more accurately from my perspective - should be changed to "Wordbender!"

That is ok Terry. Your new handle is 1 in 40 because for every 40 posts you make you get 1 right.

Howdy FIFO...

Just wanted to thank you briefly for enlightening-me on our wild salmon woes.

Gee... guess I ought'a back-off on pointin'- fingers at the nice fishfarmers and do something more prudent and doable like jump in with the no-minds trying to fight the illusion of 'climate-change'.

Sh-e-e-e-sh!

Back