Fish farm illness back east

I have edited a number of posts in this thread. There was inflammatory remarks and it was becoming personal in a couple of situations. Express your opinions but keep it respectful. If we have to intervene again, it will result in suspension of posting privileges or deletion of the thread.

With all due respect to all concerned....It's easy to be a little disrespectful with the way our government hides information from the public regarding their operations. If there was COMPLETE and timely public disclosure on all of their operations BY INDEPENDANT scientists and labs, it would go along way in all of us better understanding their legitimacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
With all due respect to all concerned....It's easy to be a little disrespectful with the way our government hides information from the public regarding their operations. If there was COMPLETE and timely public disclosure on all of their operations BY INDEPENDANT scientists and labs, it would go along way in all of us better understanding their legitimacy.
I agree. You must include all sectors though. They all farm quite similarly. They are all fed pellets. They are treated with the same antibotics. Trivetrin, Oxytetracycline, being the big two. They all carry the occasional disease. They all treat on the advice of a veterinarian. They all follow withdrawl periods. They all shed antibiotics into the enviroment. They use similar environment no-no chemicals. Like copper sulphate and formaldehyde. They should all be held to the same rules and regulations and held environmentaly responsible. It is all farming.

The average dairy farm in the lower mainland, Sumas and Matsqui flats, dumps an average of 100kg annually of copper sulfate on land that forms the lower Fraser drainage. That's about 16k total for the area combined, yearly...used in treating mortellaro disease (foot fungus) an aliment found on EVERY cattle farm. It's discarded in the manure pit and spread on the land. Right in front of everyone nose;) Just something to think about.

good post, fogged in. I totally agree.

Take the last revisions on the last CEAA (Bill C-38) and Navigable Waters Protection Act (Bill-45) downgrades, for just but another example.

Ever wonder why fish farms got exempted from CEAA - the industry actually IN the water?

It appears that industry pundits/lobbyists craft legislation now that our so-called representatives (all Conservative) pushed through Parliament as yet another undemocratic omnibus bill.

It seems that those nice industry folks are all but too happy to rewrite our laws for our Conservative government. See:

http://wcel.org/resources/environmental-law-alert/who-writes-canada’s-environmental-laws
http://wcel.org/resources/environmental-law-alert/smoking-gun-who-was-real-author-2012-omnibus-bills
https://docs.google.com/a/wuikinuxv.net/file/d/0B_0MqnZ4wmcMeU5KdGk3YVAwcUU/edit
http://o.canada.com/technology/envi...aws-was-proposed-by-oil-industry-says-records
http://www.pressprogress.ca/en/post...ves-change-your-endangered-species-law-please
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/Gl..._letter_on_enviro_regs_to_Oliver_and_Kent.pdf

https://mastereia.wordpress.com/author/masonsam/
https://circle.ubc.ca/bitstream/handle/2429/46455/ubc_2014_spring_clarkson_alexander.pdf?sequence=1

It didn't matter who was in power. You can't go against the people who make our food, a huge tax base in rural areas, and political financing.

I am not going against anyone producing my food, Steel. I would never knowingly eat farmed salmon.

And YES - it VERY MUCH depends upon who was in power - and still is.

Think about your pork,chicken,beef,milk...it was made the same way.;)

It doesn't matter who's in power, there is always that vocal minority running around all chicken little.

I have had a great decade. I'm middle aged, middle class,employed in resource base industry, law abiding, drug/tobacco/alcohol free, totally white picket fence stuff.I'm the poster voter for the Conservatives. Who else...

20 years ago just starting out, I leaned the other way...interesting how an individual's life experience can influence their polital views.

I was naïve enough to think the same thing about the ****** party system that we seem unfortunately stuck with Steel - that was UNTIL we had a few successive Conservative majority governments. I never thought it could get so bad - or that the sociopaths could be so high-functioning as to run away with our democracy - you know - the same system that our veterans fought and died for? Ya - that one.

You can belittle and mock citizens discharging their due diligence within our democratic system - if that makes you feel better. It doesn't work for me though. I believe democracy was worth the veterans lives. I applaud people making democracy work - which is IMHO - RESPECTFUL of our veterans sacrifices.

What Stevie wonder and his Con men are doing - is something quite different.

Good points about our commercial food system, though.

That's why keeping the wild salmon runs protected is even more important.

I was naïve enough to think the same thing about the ****** party system that we seem unfortunately stuck with Steel - that was UNTIL we had a few successive Conservative majority governments. I never thought it could get so bad - or that the sociopaths could be so high-functioning as to run away with our democracy - you know - the same system that our veterans fought and died for? Ya - that one.

You can belittle and mock citizens discharging their due diligence within our democratic system - if that makes you feel better. It doesn't work for me though. I believe democracy was worth the veterans lives. I applaud people making democracy work - which is IMHO - RESPECTFUL of our veterans sacrifices.

What Stevie wonder and his Con men are doing - is something quite different.

Good points about our commercial food system, though.

That's why keeping the wild salmon runs protected is even more important.
Hope I didn't mock or belittle anyone.

Hope I didn't mock or belittle anyone.
I guess nobody on this forum - directly.
... there is always that vocal minority running around all chicken little...
First I would like to thank you for your honesty and respectfulness on your last post, Steel. Very appreciative.

Maybe it is rather an ingrained reaction - rather than a deliberate attempt to "mock or belittle".

Unfortunately, that attempt to besmear (even as a reaction, rather than a deliberate, conscious rationalism) - is worse than unfortunate. I'll try to elucidate my feelings here - please have patience if I do that poorly. Don't be afraid to question this response if I am not clear enough.

I hear how poor the voter turn-out is - every year. Especially the youth.

I hear how we disenfranchise many demographics - including the youth.

Yet - if they get off their butt*s and go to a demonstration - they suddenly become a "vocal minority" - rather than being praised and supported as a functioning and contributing and much-needed caring member of a democracy. Don't forget - a democracy is dependent upon the informed participation of the electorate. It's not something that we do for an hour every 4 years at election time.

And INSTEAD of addressing valid, legitimate concerns from citizens with good, relevant, timely information...

They are assessed by PR firms functioning for industry and government (can't tell the difference nowadays) as a "minority" - and therefore not worthy or a response or any serious consideration. That is IMHO - paternalistic BS.

In addition - they are "vocal" (OMFG) "activists" (as if being active is a bad thing).

So again - pay no attention.

Move along. Nothing to see here.

So - in who's interest does this stalling and character assassination work?

For the people who have the information that refuse to release it - or the people who need the information?

Hmm - you tell me - and then tell me in who's interest does it work to keep these issues raucous, emotional and without end?

Who's position is challenged with change?

Who gets paid quite a bit of money to lie?

Maybe your focus needs revisiting?

The government's main agenda is to keep the majority of voters happy. I'm happy, my life is good, and I know exactly what my government will do. I'm voting in the best interests of my lifestyle and lively hood.

Voter turn out is a huge concern, and your right the youth need to vote. My parents taught me the importance of voting, I think the message is really getting lost. I used to talk politics with my folks at dinner.....I don't remember doing that with my kids.

Good talking with you, till the next time:)

Agent, if I do seem to be missing your point I humbly suggest to you that it is either that you are not making your position clear enough to me or the methods to achieve your desired objectives do not make much sense (to me anyway for what it’s worth).

1/ If in BC, or elsewhere - beef cattle are ranging on Crown lands with or without associated disease and parasite transfers back/forth with deer and moose – that is NOT an excuse to NOT do disease risk assessments and mitigation in order to protect both cultured and wild stocks in fish farms or elsewhere.

My reference to free ranging beef cattle on Crown lands was my response to your contention that there has to be a separation between wild and cultured stocks. Clearly this isn’t always the case as you and other here have already found out. There are numerous of examples of domesticated, terrestrial animals in close proximity to wild animals. Perhaps there are buffer zones between cattle and bison in the NWT and AB as you suggest, but I don’t believe that is the norm. Where that fails – you get transfer of disease to/from wild/cultured stocks? That is a possibility, but just because you get a virus doesn’t necessarily mean that the associated disease develops. There are other factors that can come into play whether the host develops the disease. My point wasn’t because beef cattle are ranging on Crown lands with or without associated diseases and parasites that is an excuse to not do what you suggest. I was bringing to the forefront that transfer you talk about can also happen in terrestrial environments, but tends to get skip here for some reason (at least at the beginning anyway). This is why I asked the question: “If there are cattle that are suspected to have a federally reportable virus or disease are those ranchers required to report their preliminary results to the public?”

2/ It has been noticed world-wide that mixing of cultured and wild stocks frequently has unintended consequences – including a very real threat from new or novel diseases infecting naïve hosts, whether they are wild or cultured stocks.

3/ Yes – in both the terrestrial and more recently the aquatic environments – there have been some real examples of this issue showing-up. Just because to date we have not yet noticed an issue between cattle and deer on Crown Lands in BC does not mean we actually know what is going on. There have been numerous, unfortunate learning experiences with so-called “new” diseases such as mad cow, swine flu (vesicular disease), bird flu (influenza), hoof and mouth disease, tuberculosis, anthrax, Foot and mouth disease, Vesicular stomatitis, Peste des petits ruminants, Contagious bovine pleuropneumonia, Rinderpest (globally eradicated 2011), Lumpy skin disease, Sheep pox and goat pox, Rift Valley fever, Bluetongue, African horse sickness, Newcastle disease, etc. – it’s a long list that is getting longer every year.

Ok…but are you referring to scientifically documented cases of the presence of these “new” diseases or suspected ones based on suspicion? They are not the same thing, in my opinion. Recent studies by the US and Canada have not found what others think is here (ISAv). With regards to ISA/ISAv, Cohen also said that the evidence to date (up to 2011) does not allow him to conclude ISAv or an ISAv-like virus currently exists in Fraser Sockeye. It doesn’t mean that this is the end of the story as most of what we know (as stated in Cohen Technical Report #1) is from cultured fish. As I stated before, the PSF, DFO and Genome BC are collaborating on a very large Fish Health Initiative project, so I believe more information is forth coming in the next few years. But I am not sure how this answers my question: What is the urgency of the public knowing these preliminary results? On this coast, the companies have actually been reporting preliminary findings of viral outbreak to the media (i.e. 2012 IHNv outbreak at Mainstream’s Dixon Bay farm. The fish were destroyed from the initial farm before confirmation and an order from the CFIA, so we knew that location long before final confirmation.).

4/ Yes – often belatedly our regulators have had to deal with the above issues, and it starts with generating information (i.e. epidemiology, etc.) about how that particular disease infects hosts, how it is transported, what makes it virulent – and all these other issues that are important in order to understand the risk and to decrease the level of that risk – such as instituting buffer zones for bison/cattle as I previously mentioned. Buffer zones are admittedly not a sure thing wrt isolating disease outbreaks (especially when epidemiology is not known) – then what if there are NO buffer zones at all? Is that MORE precautionary? MORE responsible? Wouldn’t this be the bare-bones least thing to do?

5/ Yes – even the OIE (which Canada/CFIA/DFO have signed on with and claim they use as their “guide”) now has experience and recommendations about how to do this. In there they confirm that we need to know the things that should be really, really obvious such as: Geographic co-ordinates of any outbreaks, Scale, Epidemiology, Barriers, Surveillance

Have you checked out the WAHID interface on the OIE website? For each case they go into the epidemiology that is known. Is this information collected by the OIE inadequate?

6/ With many diseases – especially for new or novel diseases (ones brought into an area of naïve hosts) – those hosts die within a few days or weeks – as is the case with many naïve fish hosts. If there is a delay in the reporting of a suspected or confirmed outbreak; including the stubborn refusal by CFIA to release co-ordinates –many of those infected hosts die and are unavailable for sampling. This should be OBVIOUS to anyone – especially to our "experts" in CFIA,

Well there is nothing new about ISAv on the east coast of Canada. As for cases of ISAv or ISA here in BC I will defer to the scientific evidence gathered to date. If you know of a documented case of ISAv or ISA here I would be interested in seeing it as will many others. As for a delay in reporting of a suspected case there doesn’t appear to be one from the companies as they seem to get these preliminary results done as soon as a case is suspected, but there seems to be a delay before final confirmation is made. This is why it seems fish farm companies have taken action early before final confirmation is made.

7/ Without being able to test native stocks ASAP – we loose the opportunity to develop an understanding of the epidemiology of the disease and how it is transferred to/from the wild/cultured stocks. We loose the opportunity to develop those risk assessment models – and mitigate the risk

Once a suspected case is known it appears as though the CFIA works with the companies to reduce the spread of a possible infection before final confirmation is made. This is where I come close to understanding what you are trying to achieve here, but with current research underway and information obtained to date I don’t see the urgency before final confirmation as you do.

8/ CFIA is only but one authority within a disease-testing program, and there are many other authorities and newly developing methodologies such as Kristi Millers.

Oddly enough, Kristi Miller’s lab at Pacific Biological Station was one of a group of labs utilized by the CFIA in its recent, 2 year viral surveillance study.

There is no need to be disrespectful - ever. There is no need to falsely label people as "industry reps" just for having an opinion. There is no need insinuate that those with differing opinions are lying are involved in character assassinations. One chooses that path because that's how they like to communicate or don't know how. If we are going to have a respectful discussion about these contentious issues it can't begin with stereotypical remarks which automatically have people at very polarized positions before an actual discussion can start. Some of you can't seem to get it. Some of you seem to be very intelligent by the content of your posts, but you let your anger get the best of you. That's unfortunate. I may not necessarily agree with some on here but I know that although some have a different opinion that they likely share the same passion for fish and fishing that I do or they wouldn't be here. Good thing I was busy with the kids yesterday and didn't see all these inflammatory remarks. Mud-slinging is not my arena so I am out of this thread. I said my peace.

You think you can keep roosting pigeons and starlings out of a barn ? And the farm yard itself ? Except for the one incident marked, the numbers are actually laugh out loud, a few thousand fish from a multitude of species. :) .This is a non issue that's not even pursued anymore, just like escaping Atlantic's spawning...neither is worth the time talking about.

Perhaps you are not aware of the chicken industry. Maybe a lot has changed since you last saw an operation. Here is a link to the bio-security. There are many links from this page that you should read.

http://inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter...health-basics/eng/1323643634523/1323644740109

The fish culture industry also has a lot of bio-security protocols. I know I am involved with a community salmon hatchery. We take it seriously our responsibility to raise healthy fish. It just makes good sense and I'm sure we both agree on that point. Here is the rub.... when we compare fish culture to chicken husbandry they compare very well on bio-security up until grow out stage in the ocean net pens. There is no way that you can control the interaction of wild fish with your stock. It just makes no sense to risk wild fish or your farm fish to the pathogens that are in that environment. Yes you can vaccinate your fish but currently there are not any vaccines to all the pathogens that are out there. The cost of some of the new ones are also prohibitive, I know I just bought 10K doses and did a vaccination on this years crop of smolts.

Is it asking too much for your industry to get off the salmon migration routes? My smolts have to get thru that maze of fish farms to get out into the ocean. We all know there are plenty of problems out there that we cant control but you too have a responsibility to protect wild fish just the same as protecting your farm fish. I would argue that wild fish should come first. It only makes sense after all what could go wrong....

salmon-farm-map.png

GLG,most chicken barns version of bio-security is caution tape strung between two saw horses across their driveway.LOL. Some even have a sign that says bio-security in effect...mounted on saw horses. It's recommended to keep grain spills cleaned up...you tell me how to clean spilled barley mash from a gravel farm yard...that's like removing sand from gravel. Recommended to keep new birds in quarantine...most facilities have little space,most run at 110% capacity..there is no room for quarantine. Disinfecting a barn of any sort is laughable....arrange a tour ,go to a farm see for yourself.

I'm not involved in aquaculture, I just fully support responsible industry in costal bc.

GLG,most chicken barns version of bio-security is caution tape strung between two saw horses across their driveway.LOL. Some even have a sign that says bio-security in effect...mounted on saw horses. It's recommended to keep grain spills cleaned up...you tell me how to clean spilled barley mash from a gravel farm yard...that's like removing sand from gravel. Recommended to keep new birds in quarantine...most facilities have little space,most run at 110% capacity..there is no room for quarantine. Disinfecting a barn of any sort is laughable....arrange a tour ,go to a farm see for yourself.

Please tell me steelmadness....
Do you believe that because Chicken farms cannot be clean and disease free that it somehow makes it ok to have dirty disease riddled Fish farms in open pens in our oceans and that's it...end of your observations about fish farms????

Agent, if I do seem to be missing your point I humbly suggest to you that it is either that you are not making your position clear enough to me or the methods to achieve your desired objectives do not make much sense (to me anyway for what it’s worth).
Thanks for your reply Shuswap. Thanks for being respectful, as well.

I guess I am struggling with what exactly you don't get. Is it the "science" part of the disease testing - or something else?
... just because you get a virus doesn’t necessarily mean that the associated disease develops. There are other factors that can come into play whether the host develops the disease. ).
yes, I agree - and have also pointed this out numerous times on this forum - the last time a couple of posts back on this thread.

... My point wasn’t because beef cattle are ranging on Crown lands with or without associated diseases and parasites that is an excuse to not do what you suggest. I was bringing to the forefront that transfer you talk about can also happen in terrestrial environments, but tends to get skip here for some reason (at least at the beginning anyway). This is why I asked the question: “If there are cattle that are suspected to have a federally reportable virus or disease are those ranchers required to report their preliminary results to the public?”).
Well - reference the title of this thread. It is in relation to aquatic environments - and there are some substantial differences between the 2 environments - as I pointed out a couple of posts back. Another rather major difference I did not mention is that fish farms operate in "public" waters verses private lands.

As far as the "approved" CFIA/OIE reporting requirements go:
1/ Yes close similarities between reporting for "federally reportable" diseases between terrestrial and aquatic diseases,
2/ How a disease gets on the list is a longer conversation, as is the information exchanges between vets and up to the OIE - but yes - again very similar between aquatic and terrestrial environments, and more importantly,
3/ This CFIA modelling the OIEs developing disease reporting procedures is a MINIMUM requirement - not a "MAXIMUM" expected by a public servant in a Canadian public service. We are NOT stuck with just only the CFIA and the OIE, either. There are many other components and authorities we need to consider and integrate, as well.
...Ok…but are you referring to scientifically documented cases of the presence of these “new” diseases or suspected ones based on suspicion? They are not the same thing, in my opinion. ... But I am not sure how this answers my question: What is the urgency of the public knowing these preliminary results? ...
Yes - all outbreaks - including "confirmed" using CFIAs rather restricted and potentially insensitive cell culture confirmation process. The reasons SHOULD BE obvious - as I already pointed out in many past posts. I am not sure why you do not appear to understand this.
...Recent studies by the US and Canada have not found what others think is here (ISAv). With regards to ISA/ISAv, Cohen also said that the evidence to date (up to 2011) does not allow him to conclude ISAv or an ISAv-like virus currently exists in Fraser Sockeye. It doesn’t mean that this is the end of the story as most of what we know (as stated in Cohen Technical Report #1) is from cultured fish. As I stated before, the PSF, DFO and Genome BC are collaborating on a very large Fish Health Initiative project, so I believe more information is forth coming in the next few years. But I am not sure how this answers my question: What is the urgency of the public knowing these preliminary results? On this coast, the companies have actually been reporting preliminary findings of viral outbreak to the media (i.e. 2012 IHNv outbreak at Mainstream’s Dixon Bay farm. The fish were destroyed from the initial farm before confirmation and an order from the CFIA, so we knew that location long before final confirmation.)..
ya - my assertions over fish disease testing and reporting were broader in context than just over ISAv. It is a longer conversation over ISAv - specifically.

No - I do not agree with your assertions that ISAv results have been communicated properly (through proper, mandatory channels), timely (in time to sample an outbreak), and with geographic co-ordinates from farm-specific sites through the current DFO/CFIA pipeline - which is updated only monthly and only after confirmation has taken place - and most importantly - w/o geographic coordinates - it is USELESS. Any ISAv results have been consistently denied by DFO and CFIA spokespersons and even hidden from court even when ordered by Justice Cohen. It is - as I just said - a longer conversation over this controversy.
...Have you checked out the WAHID interface on the OIE website? For each case they go into the epidemiology that is known. Is this information collected by the OIE inadequate?..
yes and yes:
1/ The OIE is not actually a regulatory body - certainly not one accountable to the Canadian public,
2/ Any information they post first goes through Information received and selectively filtered by Dr Brian Evans, Chief Food Safety Officer/Chief Veterinary Officer, Office of the President, Canadian Food Inspection Agency, OTTAWA, Canada - which means that in any event - it is weeks old and only for "confirmed" outbreaks of diseases that are "federally reportable diseases". See above answer for more.
...Well there is nothing new about ISAv on the east coast of Canada. As for cases of ISAv or ISA here in BC I will defer to the scientific evidence gathered to date. If you know of a documented case of ISAv or ISA here I would be interested in seeing it as will many others. As for a delay in reporting of a suspected case there doesn’t appear to be one from the companies as they seem to get these preliminary results done as soon as a case is suspected, but there seems to be a delay before final confirmation is made. This is why it seems fish farm companies have taken action early before final confirmation is made.?..
Well - the ones I can track are through the Cohen Commission's exhibits - where CFIA's website is blank on these investigations - which already speaks to the lack of transparency and openness by DFO/CFIA:
Cohen Commission Exhibit 2051
Cohen Commission Exhibit 2052
Cohen Commission Exhibit 2053
Cohen Commission Exhibit 2042
Cohen Commission Exhibit 2043
Cohen Commission Exhibit 2040
Cohen Commission Exhibit 2060
Cohen Commission Exhibit 2045
Cohen Commission Exhibit 1549

it also looks like they got some 12 out of 35 liver samples with ISA hits on Creative Salmon's Chinook at the Indian Bay site in Dec 13th 2011 using PCR - but couldn't confirm using cell culture. Chinook were yellowed and jaundiced. Player, Snow and Christensen primers were used - tested segments ISAv 7 & 8. FLUIDIGM process used by Gagne's lab. Sequence looked like the EU ISAv. European strain ISAv - in the Pacific. Wanna hazard a guess how that happened?

...Oddly enough, Kristi Miller’s lab at Pacific Biological Station was one of a group of labs utilized by the CFIA in its recent, 2 year viral surveillance study.
Yes it is odd - considering Kristi's testimony at the Cohen Commission about how she was muzzled. CFIA has not formerly recognized Kristi's work and methodology in the past - instead sticking to the talking notes generated by their PR people. The surveillance study also has it's limitations and restrictions.

However, Kristi's developing methodology on Genomics - verses genetics - is yet another example of why we need other testing methodologies and research partners - which all starts with getting notifications of a disease outbreak. I guess we can all agree that we appreciate Kristi and the PSF and hope their results are released soon - because we sure cannot depend upon DFO and CFIA at this time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2015/0...c-notification-of-salmon-virus_n_7001352.html

Atlantic Salmon Federation Concerned Government Didn't Notify Public Of Virus
CP | By Michael Tutton, The Canadian Press
Posted: 04/03/2015 6:05 pm EDT

A conservation group is criticizing federal and provincial agencies for not publicizing a preliminary test showing the presence of a potentially deadly salmon virus at a New Brunswick aquaculture operation.

The Atlantic Salmon Federation says it heard on Monday that a strain of infectious salmon anemia was reported by an aquaculture company located along the Bay of Fundy.

The virus can be fatal to fish but doesn't cause harm to human health.

Jonathan Carr, the federation's director of research, says he went to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency website but didn't find a report of the incident.

"Without the public knowing what's going on a lot of rumours and wildfires can happen,'' he said in an interview.

"That's where the province and the CFIA should be upfront ... when these things happen, inform the general public on what's going on and how they're dealing with it.''

A spokeswoman for the New Brunswick government said in an email there was a suspected case of virulent infectious salmon anemia detected last month.

"Regarding the suspected case ... the province and the CFIA are aware and are working collaboratively on this,'' Anne Bull said.

"We are in regular contact with the operator, who is co-operating fully on the matter. Increased surveillance and sampling efforts have been put in place by New Brunswick's chief aquaculture veterinarian.''

Pam Parker, director of the Atlantic Canada Fish Farmers Association, an industry group, said in a telephone interview that in March a fish in one cage in a New Brunswick salmon farm was found to be positive for infectious salmon anemia during a preliminary test.

She said the company didn't wait for a confirmation of a final diagnosis by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and proceeded to remove all of the fish from the pen and notified the provincial and federal regulators of their actions.

Parker said other salmon farmers in the area were notified and the affected farm is in quarantine. She said she didn't know the name of the affected salmon farm.

In an email response, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency said it requires notification whenever infectious salmon anemia is detected.

"All finds are reported online for public consumption,'' said spokeswoman Tammy Jarbeau.

Jarbeau did not comment on any specific cases but said pathogenic strains of the virus occur sporadically, while non-pathogenic strains are to be expected every year in the Atlantic area.

Carr said he's glad that the affected fish were killed quickly after the outbreak but he feels more information should have been released after the preliminary tests.

"It's prudent when you have cases like this to get this out to the public.''

Parker said the regulations and the process are rigorous.

"We don't understand what the concern is,'' she said. "The system is working. There is more transparency in salmon farming than any other food producing sector.''

I'm not involved in aquaculture, I just fully support responsible industry in costal bc.

You may find bio-security laughable and are having a LOL moment but I can assure you that industry takes it very seriously and so does the government. In fact if you are part of this industry there are Mandatory Standards that you must adhere to. There is a reason for this that you may not understand perhaps read this PDF
http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/ahc/poultry/biosecurity.pdf

Ask yourself ..... when you go to the store to buy a chicken, don't you want that food to be safe?
Me.... I expect it from this industry and I'm sure that the industry would not like to lose this confidence.

Perhaps you may want to read some background here.
http://inspection.gc.ca/animals/ter...igation-in-bc/eng/1418491040802/1418491095666

Notice where the virus is coming from and how that relates to fish farms and wild fish.

http://www.elc.uvic.ca/press/documents/2014-01-10FishFarmDiseaseDisclosureReport.pdf

Introduction
Numerous concerns about open-net fish farms have arisen since such farms began to proliferate on the BC coast in the late 1980s. Concerns have included the potential for sea lice to escape farms and infest wild fish, the possibility that exotic Atlantic salmon might escape and impact the environment, the deposition of large amounts of fecal matter below farms, potential impacts from the use of antibiotics on the farms, and the excessive use of wild fish in feed.

This report addresses an additional important concern -- the risk that outbreaks of exotic or virulent fish disease at farms may spread to wild fish and threaten wild stocks.
Both fish diseases and sea lice may spread from net cage fish farms to threaten wild fish stocks. On the sea lice issue, First Nations and environmental and fisheries groups worked for years to get adequate public reporting of infestations on fish farms, so that independent scientists could research solutions to that problem. Government has finally improved its public reporting on sea lice outbreaks – but reporting of fish diseases remains woefully inadequate. This report aims to rectify that situation, just as a previous ELC report helped improve sea lice reporting.

Today Government fails to adequately report on fish farm disease outbreaks – and has resisted requests that it do so. The basic issue is that Government fails to disclose exactly where diseases have broken out, and only releases such extremely generalized information when it’s too late to be useful. This needs to change.
Government needs to publish detailed, meaningful, timely information on diseases that occur at BC fish farms because:

 It is clearly possible to do so. As discussed below, countries like Scotland and Norway do a better job of publicly reporting fish disease outbreaks at their fish farms.
 Independent research into the identification of outbreaks -- and into causes and solutions -- cannot take place unless full and timely disease information is public and available to independent scientists.
The more people (including independent scientists) who are keeping track of salmon disease problems, the more likely a disease will be identified and dealt with quickly. The Cohen Commission recognized this -- it recommended full disclosure of fish disease information to independent scientists.1
 Timely public reporting of where a disease has occurred is necessary to mobilize useful local knowledge and maximize public participation in identifying causes and solutions.
The Brundtland Commission emphasized the ‚indispensable role‛ that non-government bodies and scientists play in ‚identifying risks, in assessing environmental impacts and implementing measures to deal with them.
 Fish farm owners should be held accountable for actions that affect public resources. Without public reporting of the time and location of disease occurrences, it is difficult to judge whether Government is responding appropriately and preventing unnecessary reoccurrences – or making wise decisions about siting and licensing of new fish farms.
 The federal Open Government Action Plan specifically requires the information published by Government to be ‚meaningful‛ -- and Government’s handling of fish disease outbreak information fails to provide the public with such promised ‚meaningful‛ information.
 Finally – and of utmost importance -- the current approach to disease reporting does not fulfill the Crown’s duty to consult First Nations.
If we are to successfully deal with this risk to an invaluable resource, government needs act as it has on sea lice reporting. It needs to publicly report detailed, meaningful and timely information when diseases are discovered on fish farms.

Back