First Harvest

IronNoggin

So, we have this little area outside of the fenced back yard, running between the fence and the ally. Wasted Space I used to call it, has quite the slope, and until last season was the home of over-achieving weeds of indeterminate species...

After visiting t'other Matt, I was soon convinced that I just might be able to grow one of my favorites in that area - Garlic! He had come up with a rather hardy variety, and graciously sent me home with enough "seed" so fill in a fair amount of the wasted space...

The garlic grew fairly well this year, and yesterday was finally time to have a boo and see what we had. Actually turned out pretty good for a novice methinks! And the FLAVOR! OMG, you certainly ain't buying anything of that Quality in any store I've ever been in!!

Garlic_2.jpg

Now the plan is to bring in some "real" dirt, berm it up alongside the fence, and give them the "right stuff" to flourish in! Can only get better methinks!!

The main garden is growing like a weed even though we had a very late planting (cold and wet spring again this year). Already the cherry tomatoes have provided the odd munch, and the beans, turnips, peas and squash are literally growing inches a day!! Right Looking Forward to when we can get to a real harvest from this one! The Missuz informs me that space will be doubled next year to accommodate even more goodies from our own resources. Again, Flavor like none other!!

Garden_1.jpg

Garden_2.jpg

Note the "fence" around the goodies. Boogs at 140 pounds, and Asuilu at 90 are convinced that flimsy little barrier is sufficient to keep them out.
The pup... not so much. After a few "washes" with the big hose, she is starting to get the message though...

Got the garlic, soon to have the other fine veggies in hand.
Now simply awaiting Moose Season to round it all out!!
sly.gif

Cheers,
Nog

Just a brief update. The HOT weather of late has certainly encouraged some serious growth in our little garden plot!!

Growth_1.jpg

Growth_2.jpg

Growth_3.jpg

Already harvesting peas, cheery tomatoes and beans! Uber-Delicious!!
sly.gif

Right looking forward to all the rest!

Cheers,
Nog

I've been growing garlic for several years now. This year is my best crop by far. It's really potent stuff that only requires about a quarter of the amount of the store bought stuff we used to use.
Dave

Back