Few Questions

Flash

1. What's the etiquette for cleaning fish on site? Where to put the guts and head? Does trout need to be bled?

2. The guys and island outfitters put a 10 lb braided line on my rod saying it was the best line. My question is, will this work for trout with a spinner or spoon? It seems quite visible to me. I've seen tons of trout jumping close to my casts, could it be they are line shy and I need a lower weight line or is 10 lb ok?

Ok, for cleaning trout, if there is a trash can around put the gutsin there, most of the time it is best not to leave the innards were you were fishing. Bag them, and dispose of them in the trash. You don't need to bleed a trout.

I personally prefer braided line, because it has almost no stretch to it. This will allow you to get a better hook set, and possibly catch more fish. You will probably be able to cast further with a braided line, because it has a much smaller diameter, and there will be less surface area, so the air, and the ferrules on your rod won't slow the line down as much. When you use braided line you are going to use a 3.5 ft leader, if you are fishing a spoon, or a lure. Use moniphilament line for your leader, I suggest around 5 lbs. 10lb braid will be a perfect strength for you rod, any less, and it will get really expensive, because of its small diameter, you won't be able to fill the whole reel with anything under 200 yards.

Kunni

29700015.jpg

Well everyone is at one point in their fishing career :D

Kunni

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you understood my tongue in cheek, young buck ;)

Now get to the lake and catch some of those fish KK is talking about...........

I do:D, and i really like that meme, but no fishing for me for a week and a half, I'm on holiday, in a foreign country. I enjoy being on holiday, but the fishing withdrawal is unbearable.

Kunni

aha I actually have to disagree with you kunni, on both your statements. Personally I don't feel any animal or fish which has grown up in the wild has any place rotting in a bag in the dump. When salmon spawn they die and add much needed nutrients to the soil and water, do you not feel trout guts do the same? Just my personal opinion. As for braided line I only ever use it in higher poundages on bait casting reels for fishing rivers, I find for lakes the general preference goes to mono. Braided line you get some nasty tangles with and even with the larger diameter 20 pound stuff a tangle is usually permanent, I can imagine trying to untangle 10 pound stuff. I think thats a matter of personal preference though, try both and get a feel for what you like better. Like you said though, it does seem alot more visable.

Tight lines!

Yeah guts always go back into the lake just throw them out of sight and away from anywhere somone might swim. Give the minks somthing to chew on instead of the living fish!

-KK

KK, I'm in South Africa visiting my family, and unfortunatley there's huge security problems, so as much as I want to, it's far to dangerous to fish anywhere but the ocean in a boat.:(

CVmike, you are right about getting some nasty tangles with the braid. I sure got my fair share of those, when I was bass fishing last year. I do think you will have a better hook set with the braid. No fishing line is perfect, and like you said, it has a lot to do with personal preference.

Kunni

Oh boy.
This is going to be one of those things in fishing where you are going to get many different answers as to what is the "right" way to go about it.

I was told never throw the guts in the lake as they (can)end up sitting there for days on end, I have gone to lakes where someones tossed guts and unused bait(deli shrimp @ Durrance) and come back a day or days later and it's still there ! YUCK !
Who wants to go for a walk around a beautiful lake and have to look at slowly rottin carcass bits ? Fisherman or not.
A stream/river ? maybe. A still water lake...mmm no. Not unless the crayfish are running rampant.
I found that leaving it on shore under a bush/tree is the best way, insects, birds & small mammals find it pretty quick. I've never left guts on shore under a bush and come back the next day and it's still there, never.
What I do is bonk 'em, bleed 'em(cut through all gills) wait a few minutes then gut 'em. I usually get weird looks as I do it by the regs, not many people do this way.
Regs state: remove gills and guts only - leave the head and all fins intact. It's a lot messier this way but it is by the book.

As for braid, I think it is a bit overkill for trout. For freshwater lakes it is great for casting in weeds etc when bass fishing, if you get snagged should should be able to pull your lure out of weeds etc without the line breaking.
Bought some myself but apparently it is recommended to have a mono leader(which can break...easy...if you're bass fishing, casting in weeds etc...) so I haven't tried it yet, think I'll just stick to mono's for now.

Guts go in the lake ocean etc

I like mono for my lake spinning reel never had any issues hookset, tangles nothing. (knock on wood)

Would be interesting to do a casting distance test mono vs braid with same rod reel and weight. Thats the only reason Ive thought of going for braid. That is on my heaver reel for beach casting for salmon tho. Still think id hold off on it for a spinning reel mabey a baitcaster or a levelwind.

Hmm, thanks for the replies all.

Looks like there is a split on the cleaning bit. I think if I'm in a secluded area where the water gets deep quickly I'll throw it in. If near anyone, or near any areas that are frequented I'll bag it and throw it.

As far as the type of line, it sounds like mono is sufficient, but it's not that big of a deal using the braided line. When I graduate to bass it sounds like it's worth keeping. What I'm still not clear on is if the 10 lb line is just to big and visible for trout or not?

I've tried all the different methods and the one I've enjoyed most so far is using a spoon or a spinner (going to pick up a panther martin today, any recs on ones you've been successful with?).

Just to make sure I'm doing it right...

I'm just tying my spoon right on the end of my 10 lbs braided line, no leader or weights or floats...is this correct?

I've seen some trout following my line, but not striking. Maybe they are sketched out by the visibility of the line?

Sorry for all the noob questions all, once I'm a vet though you can be sure I'll pay it forward :D

Cheers,

~Kevan

Trout will often be drawn to the flash of your lure, but they will check it out for a while before the strike it, I dont think it would have alot to do with the line visibility but more to do with the flashy presentation. If you notice they follow it in but dont strike, then you know they are in the area and try a less flashy lure. As for the braided line, I recommend a mono leader in all cases. And panther martins are great for trout! For lakes with plentiful cutthroat I would say pure gold is your best bet, but I've never had a lot of success on any colour scheme for the stocked rainbows. I think for them bait is the way to go. Another awesome cutthroat lure is a pure gold crocodile spoon, that lure has caught me more cutties then all others put together. Nice weight to it to cast as well and you don't need to use a weight. As for the rainbows, I think a fly and bobber or bait and bobber will be hard to beat.

depends where you are fishing for guts. gennerally in High density lakes i dont like to chuck the guts right there. minks and otters become dependant on them, and before you know it there stealing fish of your line (elk lake dock for example)

I run 14lb braid and vary the leader type depending on what im fishing, and sometimes you dont need a leader at all. for trout i run 6 lb, bass 8, salmon 10 and up. the knot connecting the two is confusing, but well worth it IMO

my preference is would be if your running 10lb braid would be a 6 or 8lb floro over mono for a leader. I usually always go floro for lake. Less visibility, less stretch, less abrasions.

I said I was spooled up with mono up there I ment floro and I tie directly to my line. Try the small blue fox spinner in blue.

Back